Training Camp practice 7/30

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The more training camp reports we get, the people expecting Davis to be the #2 WR over Sanders should change their expectations. I expect Davis to still be our #4 and score TDs because of the attention given to the other receivers. Hopefully he can clean up some of his drop issues and break out in year 3.

Davis had 3 drops all last year and made a number of very difficult catches. He has excellent hands. And this would be year two as he was a rookie last year.

Are you speaking about Knox? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The more training camp reports we get, the people expecting Davis to be the #2 WR over Sanders should change their expectations. I expect Davis to still be our #4 and score TDs because of the attention given to the other receivers. Hopefully he can clean up some of his drop issues and break out in year 3.

If Beasley copes OK with COVID protocols and continues his stellar play in the slot, then Sanders will be the #2 receiver (Diggs being #1) on the outside.  If Beasley grumbles his way to being cut or retiring because he won't get vaccinated and doesn't want to deal with protocols, then Sanders will get a lot of reps in the slot (probably rotating with McKenzie) and Davis will be the beneficiary on the outside.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Looks like Kay needs a spanking!..

I thought she had a point 🤷‍♂️

I mean, it's a great throw, whoo hoo - but we knew after last season Josh can make amazing throws.   

The question is, can the defense do its part and can we have enough run game that we're not so one dimensional.

58 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Looks like Kay needs a sandwich.

Steak and potatoes

• Like (+1) 2

Greg Rousseau vs. Daryl Williams headlines 1-on-1s
Although the Bills still aren’t in full pads, the team held their first bout of one-on-ones between offensive and defensive linemen for a few moments. Without question, the best battle featured defensive end and first-round pick Greg Rousseau working against starting right tackle Daryl Williams. On the first showdown, Williams came out of his stance and lunged forward at Rousseau. Williams was off-balance, and Rousseau spotted it immediately, side-stepping the tackle and getting a free release to the backfield as Williams tumbled to the ground.

Wanting another shot, Williams and Rousseau lined up against each other on the very next snap. This time, Williams easily controlled Rousseau as the defensive end tried to take a quick first-step out wide to beat Williams to the edge. Rousseau’s ability to read what’s in front of him and quickly change direction is one of his best attributes, so it was a positive sign to see that translate slightly in a camp setting, if only for the first rep.

Outside of that pairing, two other single reps stood out. Center Mitch Morse completely controlled defensive tackle Harrison Phillips on one opportunity and halted Phillips’ momentum of a bull rush. Defensive end A.J. Epenesa put a good wide rush on rookie Spencer Brown. Epenesa showed a good initial burst and dipped his left shoulder to get around the edge en route to winning the rep. The defensive end’s quick first step has been noticeable and a talking point of his defensive teammates since camp began, underlining his overall importance to the Bills’ pass rush hopes for 2021.

Jake Kumerow racks up opportunities from Josh Allen
With Diggs and Beasley getting some rest Friday, it allowed some other receivers to establish a rapport with starting quarterback Josh Allen in team drills. Gabriel Davis made an excellent in-stride catch as he stretched toward the ball and got some yards after the catch.

Additionally, Allen was not shy in pushing the ball toward Jake Kumerow throughout the day. Kumerow made a couple of grabs from Allen and barely missed a one-handed catch deep down the field with a defender draped over the receiver. It would have been a remarkable play if Kumerow did it with such a high degree of difficulty. After practice, he lamented the near-catch and said he should have come down with it despite the odds. The important part is he won the route and invited the throw that was slightly held up in the air by a moderately windy day.

Kumerow has been an early camp riser, especially considering the receiver told The Athletic that the Bills are working him into all four phases of special teams. 

Justin Zimmer flashes against the run

As the pieces all around the defensive line have changed during the offseason, defensive tackle Justin Zimmer has remained the same player as they saw all last year. Zimmer went from an afterthought summer addition to a practice squad player and then to a trusted rotational player who made some pretty substantial plays during the regular season. Zimmer hasn’t relented early on in camp, either, fighting through blocks and anticipating the play to fill the run and being first to the ball carrier.

In the fight for a roster spot, he has outperformed Harrison Phillips so far, and Vernon Butler has been relatively quiet as well.

Drop problems continue for Brandon Powell

On Friday, Powell dropped a pretty routine pass during team drills — and it wasn’t the first time that’s happened with the player. During the spring practices that the media could attend, Powell struggled with his catching consistency as well.

Tommy Doyle a step slow in pass-pro
The Bills have given third-round rookie offensive tackle Spencer Brown some chances to work against some of the top pass rushers throughout workouts, but they’ve brought along fifth-round pick Tommy Doyle a bit slower. In one-on-one’s Doyle took on Mike Love for his lone opportunity, with Love winning the rep to the outside. Doyle’s feet were just a bit slow in mirroring Love, which allowed the separation to get past the big offensive tackle. It’s natural for a young offensive tackle to have to learn about the speed of the game in the NFL as soon as camp begins.

To this point, Brown has been the more impressive rookie offensive tackle of the two, and it could be setting up for their eventual roles for the season.

Don’t rule out Josh Thomas from the 53

The Bills have four late-round draft picks vying to make the roster as rookies, and heading into camp, the buzz seemed to favor sixth-round pick Damar Hamlin to get the final safety spot. We know that Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and Jaquan Johnson are all locks to make the team with Hamlin being the presumed fourth. However, second-year safety Josh Thomas has shown enough three days into camp to warrant more consideration than he’s getting.

During Friday’s practice, Thomas communicated very well ahead of the snap with Johnson during team drills to get on the same page. They got themselves in the correct position while trying to confuse the offense — and that’s a big part of the puzzle for the Bills on the defense’s back end. Thomas was an undrafted free agent last year and stuck around all season on the practice squad, but most importantly, he got an entire year to soak up the defense. Like Poyer and Hamlin, he’s more in the strong safety mold, which would lend itself to a direct competition against Hamlin.

In standard draft years, the drafted players would likely to win any ties for the 53-man roster with the Bills. However, with such a condensed player pool in 2021, it’s tough to say if the Bills’ sixth and seventh-round selections would have even been drafted in previous years. It could lead to an even standing in bubble competitions like this one between Thomas and Hamlin, putting the most significant emphasis on who performs the best with their chances. Special teams will play an important role in deciding that final spot, as well. Either way, it’s way too premature to rule out Thomas from winning a spot on the final roster.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought she had a point 🤷‍♂️

I mean, it's a great throw, whoo hoo - but we knew after last season Josh can make amazing throws.   

The question is, can the defense do its part and can we have enough run game that we're not so one dimensional.

Steak and potatoes

Shirley, you know snark when you see it.  “Big deal..” “So what?” If I talked like that to my wife, I’d be ducking!

• Haha (+1) 2

Any chance Josh goes with the visor into the season? I can’t recall him wearing it consistently at camp last year? They seem to be like my golf prizm glasses which really enhances colors outside.. plus it looks super cool as well. 

l think Kumerow could be a really interesting player to watch over camp and preseason. He just seems like he good be sneaky good…at first I was thinking Hodgins could be the final piece but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Kumerow outplay him. We have amazing depth.