Daboll and Trubisky....HC and Starting QB next season??

Trubisky could end up being a starting qb this season if another team's starter goes down in training camp. A team like Washington or Houston could deal for him if their other options don't look impressive over the summmer. As much as I appreciate having a good backup, I would rather get a 2nd round pick from a desperate team.

I'm sure Zimmer will be in the hot seat in Minnesota, but I'm not so sure about Culley in Houston and "Chucky" in Vegas.  In the case of Culley, everybody knows Bill O'Brien destroyed the team, and Watson's off field activity simply adds a nail to the coffin.  I have to believe that if the owner was impressed enough to hire Culley, he'll give him longer than one season to turn that train wreck of a team around.  In Vegas, it's Chucky's contract that makes it tough for Davis to get rid of him.  Jon Gruden practically owns the team.  There are certain to be other teams looking for a new head coach though.

If Trubisky doesn't get many reps ....teams will have trouble evaluating him. If Fromm or Davis don't progress....how can we assume Trubisky won't stay in Buffalo?

On 7/29/2021 at 10:28 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

Trubisky could end up being a starting qb this season if another team's starter goes down in training camp. A team like Washington or Houston could deal for him if their other options don't look impressive over the summmer. As much as I appreciate having a good backup, I would rather get a 2nd round pick from a desperate team.

LOL..you won't get a 2nd for Trubisky. And you assume Webb or Fromm can be trusted as the #2 QB? If Allen gets hurt, do you really want to rely on one of them? Get real...

8 minutes ago, Georgie said:

If Trubisky doesn't get many reps ....teams will have trouble evaluating him. If Fromm or Davis don't progress....how can we assume Trubisky won't stay in Buffalo?

LOL..you won't get a 2nd for Trubisky. And you assume Webb or Fromm can be trusted as the #2 QB? If Allen gets hurt, do you really want to rely on one of them? Get real...

Trubisky will likely get the majority of preseason reps at qb. If he plays well I believe he could increase his trade value. Matt Barkley is still available and knows our offensive scheme very well. We would just be in the same situation we were in last year. If Allen goes down, there simply isn't another qb that can match his level of play. I would only trade Trubisky for a 2nd round pick. It sounds like a lot, but qb needy teams tend to overpay (we traded a 1st for Rob Johnson who was a 4th round pick) If that isn't offered, then I'm fine with keeping him as a great backup.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

If there was an opportunity for these two, which is a reach, these two if Trubisky plays well in an Allen injury (which I don’t think happens) is Denver.

that’s a good defense and some talent on offense.  Trubisky with a good offense around him could do well.  The other to think about is Miami.  I’m not a     I hate tua guy as he hasn’t had near the time to develop, but that is a really solid team minus the QB.

Maybe, but we aren't focused on next year. Beane already said Trubisky is a one year deal and expects he won't be here next year.

Daboll was widely expected to be a HC this year so we are playing with house money at this point with him.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:24 PM, Buffalo619 said:

Completely outlandish idea…it’s just ridiculous to assume all these factors will line up at the end of the season. 

On a side note, why would Dabs want trub? he has proven inconsistent and not starter material. Why would Dabbalicious sabotage his opportunity? He wouldn’t.

This whole premise is out there…Way out there. 

I wouldn't use the word "outlandish," but you're right in that it's not likely that everything lines up in a way where it can happen.  The odds are pretty good that Daboll gets his head coaching gig, but since we don't know where that will be, we have no idea what the QB situation will be.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Why on Earth would Daboll take a head coaching job with Mitch Trubisky as his starter? He would be much better off staying in Buffalo with Josh and waiting for a better landing spot.

What has Trubisky proven?

Trubisky has proven he can win in the NFL for starters IMO.

New system, groomed by Josh Allen. I'm not say there wouldn't be a better QB elsewhere. On the other hand it would not surprise me If after working with Trubisky for a season. Brian Daboll reaches a confidence and comfort level high enough to desire Mitch Trubisky's help with a new franchise.

With all due respect Bill from NYC.  ;  ) 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2021 at 6:06 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Why on Earth would Daboll take a head coaching job with Mitch Trubisky as his starter? He would be much better off staying in Buffalo with Josh and waiting for a better landing spot.

What has Trubisky proven?

The Trubisky package deal is just speculation but there's zero chance that Daboll is passing on a head coaching job next year especially if the Bills were to win a SB.

Also I think the idea is that Trubisky would simply be the veteran bridge QB for a top 10 rookie draft pick on any new team Daboll lands that probably won't be very good in 2021 hence the reason they are going to be hiring a new HC in the first place.

Might be out there a bit, but I think Daboll and Tua combo is more than likely to happen than a Dabol-Trubisky combo. I say this because I don’t think Flores is going to stay in Miami much longer unless the team turns it around completely 💯. I’m calling it now Daboll to Miami

48 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Trubisky package deal is just speculation but there's zero chance that Daboll is passing on a head coaching job next year especially if the Bills were to win a SB.

Also I think the idea is that Trubisky would simply be the veteran bridge QB for a top 10 rookie draft pick on any new team Daboll lands that probably won't be very good in 2021 hence the reason they are going to be hiring a new HC in the first place.

Coaches retire due to health occasionally.  Tampa Bay's coach is not in good health and may require and there will be a starting QB position available.

And Daboll has seen many coaches from New England flame out when they became head coaches and may not take "Whatever is available".  

If you are saying zero chance would you take a bet for 1000-1 odds since it is guaranteed money to you?

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Coaches retire due to health occasionally.  Tampa Bay's coach is not in good health and may require and there will be a starting QB position available.

And Daboll has seen many coaches from New England flame out when they became head coaches and may not take "Whatever is available".  

If you are saying zero chance would you take a bet for 1000-1 odds since it is guaranteed money to you?

That's the whole point, Daboll isn't really going to be in position to decline a job and wait for a situation he perceives as the best fit like the Chargers who passed on him this year despite the relationship Daboll had with their GM.

Also this isn't meant to bash Daboll but it's a well known fact his offenses as an NFL OC have sucked prior to last year coupled with Allens meteroic rise.

I just don't see him passing on an NFL job even if it's a team that ends up being the worst in the league this year with a #1 overall draft pick.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This does make sense. I like Daboll more than many on this board seem to, and I think that he will get multiple offers next season. But, as I said; your comment does make sense.