Early 53-Man Projections?

elijah

I was doing an early projection of the 53 man roster for myself, and I was shocked how easy it was to find myself keeping 10 DLinemen. McBeane typically have a history of keeping 8 DL, but I would not at all be surprised to see 9 or 10 this year. 

QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Singletary, Moss, Breida, Jones
WR: Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Mckenzie, Hodgins
TE: Knox, Hollister, Gilliam
OL: Dawkins, Williams, Morse, Ford, Feliciano, Boettger, Brown, Doyle, Lamp, Bates

DE: Hughes, Epenesa, Rosseau, Basham, Addison, Johnson
DT: Oliver, Star, Harry, Butler
LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Dodson, Matakevich, Adams
CB: Tre, Wallace, Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Wildgoose
S: Hyde, Poyer, Johnson

ST: Haack, Bass, Ferguson 

Notable Cuts/PS/Trades: Antonio Williams, Christian Wade, Marquez Stevenson, Tommy Sweeney, Bobby Hart, Efe Obada (would really like to see Obada make the team), Justin Zimmer, Cam Lewis, Duke Williams, Jake Kumerow

What does your guys early roster projections look like? 

These things are fun but it’s a little early for me. I wouldn’t rule out leaving an open spot or two for cuts from other teams. We are deep but there might be an upgrade or two once teams start making some cuts. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nice job. Swap out Johnson for Obada. Johnson has done very little to keep a spot. Agree with only keeping two QBs. Doyle is not making the 53. He will go to IR or get cut. Waste of a draft pick. That opens up another spot for a fourth safety.

Not really sure where else they could go with a 5th round pick. If he goes on IR and comes back as valuable depth in camp I would hardly say that it was a wasted pick. Never really a waste in my opinion to boost your Oline depth.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we’re keeping Obada and Zimmer. 

Also, I think if Steveson proves himself as a decent kick returner they may find a way to keep him. 

Tough year for cusp guys, we’re definitely going to lose some good talent. 

Trade Kumerow to Green Bay, possibly? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

I like it! Great job!!!!

A couple of changes I would make.

Drop Bates and add an additional WR Jake Kumerow who also is a good special team guy. 

And Gillian is now listed as a FB so TE Tommy Sweeney should be added to TEs. Maybe drop Tawain Jomes? 

IIRC, McD and Beane usually go 25/25/3 Offense/Defense/STs.

Offense - QB 2, RB 4, TE 4, WR 6, and OL 9.  Defense - DE 5, DT 4, LB 6, CB 6, and S 4.

This year may be a little different.  I could see them going with 3 TEs (Knox, Hollister and either Sweeney or Gilliam) and using OL Brown in certain situations like they did with Lee Smith last year.  This would allow to keep either 10 OL or 7 WR.  If Stevenson lights it up in camp, might have to keep him on 53 or lose him altogether.  He may not clear waivers.

I think Efe Obada makes the team.

• Like (+1) 2

There are going to be some surprise cuts or trades on the dline. There are just too many of them. Maybe Addison?

And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather keep Zimmer over Harrison Phillips and Butler.

40 minutes ago, wppete said:

I like it! Great job!!!!

Drop Bates and add an additional WR Jake Kumerow who also is a good special team guy. 

And Gillian is now listed as a FB so TE Tommy Sweeney should be added to TEs. Maybe drop Tawain Jomes? 

Bates is a good football player. I think he'll be here. But I'm not sure we keep 10 olinemen. Do we usually keep that many?

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

There are going to be some surprise cuts or trades on the dline. There are just too many of them. Maybe Addison?

And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather keep Zimmer over Harrison Phillips and Butler.

Bates is a good football player. I think he'll be here. But I'm not sure we keep 10 olinemen. Do we usually keep that many?

Unless the FO wants to see a lot of $$$ on the floor.....Addison stays.  Cap hit is just too large.  I always thought they kept 8 OL bodies.  Then get one from either PS or towards the end of the season a street guy if needed due to injuries....I agree on Zimmer.

Edited by Kwai San

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I was doing an early projection of the 53 man roster for myself, and I was shocked how easy it was to find myself keeping 10 DLinemen. McBeane typically have a history of keeping 8 DL, but I would not at all be surprised to see 9 or 10 this year. 

QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Singletary, Moss, Breida, Jones
WR: Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Mckenzie, Hodgins
TE: Knox, Hollister, Gilliam
OL: Dawkins, Williams, Morse, Ford, Feliciano, Boettger, Brown, Doyle, Lamp, Bates

DE: Hughes, Epenesa, Rosseau, Basham, Addison, Johnson
DT: Oliver, Star, Harry, Butler
LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Dodson, Matakevich, Adams
CB: Tre, Wallace, Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Wildgoose
S: Hyde, Poyer, Johnson

ST: Haack, Bass, Ferguson 

Notable Cuts/PS/Trades: Antonio Williams, Christian Wade, Marquez Stevenson, Tommy Sweeney, Bobby Hart, Efe Obada (would really like to see Obada make the team), Justin Zimmer, Cam Lewis, Duke Williams, Jake Kumerow

What does your guys early roster projections look like? 

I dont think they "need" a FB but Gilliam has ST value. Who do you have returning kickoffs and punts? I'm not sure about Doyle,Wildgoose and Phillips. I think Zimmer and Sweeney have a shot. 

34 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Unless the FO wants to see a lot of $$$ on the floor.....Addison stays.  Cap hit is just too large.  

I'm almost to the point where I hope they just bite the bullet and cut him loose.

They're ready to make a title run and at this point, he's just a passenger at best.

I'd hate to lose a good young End because they felt obligated to keep an underperforming vet for cap reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm almost to the point where I hope they just bite the bullet and cut him loose.

They're ready to make a title run and at this point, he's just a passenger at best.

I'd hate to lose a good young End because they felt obligated to keep an underperforming vet for cap reasons. 

Maybe they know this and Addison will be “hurt” and end up on IR. Or maybe a couple rookies end up “hurt” as well and get stashed away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Unless the FO wants to see a lot of $$$ on the floor.....Addison stays.  Cap hit is just too large.  I always thought they kept 8 OL bodies.  Then get one from either PS or towards the end of the season a street guy if needed due to injuries....I agree on Zimmer.

I don't understand the restructures they gave guys like Latulei, Addison and Butler other than out of 'Blind carolina loyalty' but I still have a hard time seeing any of these guys making the team especially if there are simply better, younger and cheaper options on the team.

Either way I think some fans are reading too much into the cap hits and dead money if we do dump all or any of them and don't think that will stop Beane from doing just that if need be.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Simon said:

I hear ya....can't take the $$$$ with ya so might as well make it work for you in some way shape or form and if that means saying sayonara so be it.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I like it! Great job!!!!

Bates can play any position on the line, judging by how much McBean likes versatility, it would be a shock to me if he doesn't make the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Bates can play any position on the line, judging by how much McBean likes versatility, it would be a shock to me if he doesn't make the team.

I don't think he can play OT in this league.

Smart kid but I don't see the feet to be able to move with NFL DEs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think he can play OT in this league.

Smart kid but I don't see the feet to be able to move with NFL DEs.

I'm likely wrong but when we originally got him, wasn't he a Tackle ?

I read someplace though that he's been working on his game as a Center. I just think he's too versatile to let go, especially if he can play anywhere in an emergency.

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I'm likely wrong but when we originally got him, wasn't he a Tackle ?

I read someplace though that he's been working on his game as a Center. I just think he's too versatile to let go, especially if he can play anywhere in an emergency.

He played left and right tackles at Penn State and yes in a pinch he can play tackle but his real strength is the interior and his versatility---he can play any position on the O Line.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Not really sure where else they could go with a 5th round pick. If he goes on IR and comes back as valuable depth in camp I would hardly say that it was a wasted pick. Never really a waste in my opinion to boost your Oline depth.

They needed a center not another swing OT. But generally agree at that point there are few guys that will make this roster.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Zimmer has a real shot to make it over Phillips. Phillips was a healthy scratch down the stretch last year.  My guess is a fully healthy Phillips might be a bit better than Zimmer but it will be a close call.