Training Camp practice 7/29

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I probably am overvaluing him, but it's all speculative based on the best case scenario.

That part I bolded is where it gets tough. McKenzie, Kumerow, Hodgins, and Stevenson may all look roster-worthy by the end of preseason. And they all have different skill sets. In today's pass-happy league, a guy with Stevenson's skill set is at much greater risk of getting poached.

His skill set being speed or, what are you seeing?

McKenzie ran a 4.42 40.

Stevenson 4.45 (in a combine-less off season)

McKenzie 6.64 3-cone

Stevenson 6.76

I'm not trying to diss on Stevenson, and Beane absolutely likes to give his draft choices the best chance to make the roster, but Stevenson is gonna have to show he can run routes and get separation.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

His skill set being speed or, what are you seeing?

McKenzie ran a 4.42 40.

Stevenson 4.45 (in a combine-less off season)

McKenzie 6.64 3-cone

Stevenson 6.76

I'm not trying to diss on Stevenson, and Beane absolutely likes to give his draft choices the best chance to make the roster, but Stevenson is gonna have to show he can run routes and get separation.

Being fast, shifty and versatile. I'm seeing what you're seeing, but obviously talking about a potential scenario. I thought that was clear.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your point, but if Josh is going to work on how/where he throws under pressure, perhaps now is the time when pads are off?

Just a note for the fans "Jonesing" for video, per Jon Scott

"All of the highlights coming during the portion of practice where local media is not allowed to shoot video or even still photos."

I believe I read somewhere (from Matt Fairburn perhaps?) that the same rules as last season would apply, the credentialed media are not allowed to report on which players took reps with which team unit (1sts, 2nds etc)

Last but not least per the above, Siran Neal intercepted a Mitch Trubisky pass:

Elsewhere  being reported that Neal picked Josh:

It makes more sense that if it was Trubisky's reps, Allen would be able to go talk to Daboll about it vs. pausing the entire practice while the QB confers with the OC which is not the usual SOP as far as I've seen, but we're still having some "Rashoman" moments from the press unless Neal had 2 picks in today's practice (which would be highly noteworthy)

OK, Sal Capaccio clarified in his longer piece:

Shortly after that, cornerback Siran Neal stepped in front of an Allen toss for an interception of his own. The quarterback immediately went to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll to discuss what went wrong on the play.

Neal almost came up with another pick, this time off Trubisky, diving for a low pass in front of the intended receiver, just missing from keeping the ball off the turf.

Apparently according to another reporter the first INT was ruled incomplete but might have been seen as an INT on replay.

7 hours ago, wjag said:

Out of curiosity, anyone know what they get paid per day to be a camp body?

I found this quote from an article that sheds light on your question. It's an idea of how it is calcuated. NFL Draft 2019: What’s the difference between undrafted free agent and rookie minicamp tryout?

NFL Draft 2019: What’s the difference between undrafted free agent and rookie minicamp tryout? - nj.com

During preseason training camp, rookies receive $1,075 per week and veterans receive $1,900 per week regardless of individual contracts. The universal truth for draft picks, UFAs and tryout players alike is making the 53-man roster is the end game: For every week a player is on the roster, he receives 1/17th of his salary.

Edited by Muppy

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Being fast, shifty and versatile. I'm seeing what you're seeing, but obviously talking about a potential scenario. I thought that was clear.

I get it, my point is if we're talking who gets poached, of the 4 you named I think McKenzie has more poachability as he's actually shown he can do it in the NFL on Sunday.  Kumerow gets the "Aaron Rodgers Seal of Approval" Boost to his visibility.  Hodgins is a year away from being scouted for the draft and spent the season on IR, I think he'd have to do something pretty remarkable in preseason to have much difference.

I would put the "gets snapped up on waivers if cut" order for the 4 of them McKenzie, Kumerow, Stevenson, Hodgins

JM(way too early) opinion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it, my point is if we're talking who gets poached, of the 4 you named I think McKenzie has more poachability as he's actually shown he can do it in the NFL on Sunday.  Kumerow gets the "Aaron Rodgers Seal of Approval" Boost to his visibility.  Hodgins is a year away from being scouted for the draft and spent the season on IR, I think he'd have to do something pretty remarkable in preseason to have much difference.

I would put the "gets snapped up on waivers if cut" order for the 4 of them McKenzie, Kumerow, Stevenson, Hodgins

JM(way too early) opinion

I'd put Stevenson ahead of Kumerow if they're showing out in camp/preseason and all else being equal. That Kumerow trade thread would get hot!

2 hours ago, wjag said:

From that camera angle, it doesn't look very special at all.  I wonder what he saw that I can't see?  Must be he threaded over and between defenders.

Edit:  So this is what we can't see from that camera angle.

"

“But I mean that throw in terms of just zip on his ball and the accuracy and the catch by Cole, it was a beautiful play,” Sanders said.

The play came as the Bills were in their second 11-on-11 session of the practice, which was moved indoors because of the rain. Allen waited patiently in the pocket and let Beasley get into his route down the middle of the field and then fit a perfect, blistering spiral in between safeties Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. It hit Beasley in stride and the slot receiver went untouched into the end zone."

Sal Cappacio called that video out as not doing the pass justice. He said it was just like the perfectly thrown pass he physically guided at the 49ers, only this one went over TWO defenders and into Beasleys breadbasket on the run. 

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/explained-do-players-get-paid-nfl-training-camp

Basically about $3,400 for a rookie, and $6,400 (plus whatever may be in their contract) for the month, plus housing, food, training facilities, and recovery/rehab services of trainers.

So, for example, a vet like Forrest Lamp who may or may not make the team, signed a contract with $137,000 signing bonus and $350,000 guaranteed (bonus plus part of his salary). If the Bills cut him, he walks away with $350,000 for his OTA and training camp work, in addition to the $6,400 training camp money.

But others like Jake Kumerow, Justin Zimmer, Tanner Gentry, Mike Love, or Joe Giles Harris just get that training camp per-diem summing to $6,400 plus food and housing etc.

Looks like it’s inside?

That's why Benjamin was stealing the food!!  Wouldn't shock me to hear he took some band-aids and a couple of heating pads too.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Parrino reported that Jacob Hollister hurt his back and is day to day

.....but then again, aren't we all?

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I alluded to this a few months back on one of the JA highlights threads.

I think that was a big part of the discussion about working the middle of the field routes. The coaches self scout and he does and he clearly got his receivers blown up a few times unnecessarily. 
     When he starts leading Them into open spots and hitting them in stride, the sky is the limit.

Last year, he seemed to understand the defensive coverages and where the open AREAS where. Let’s see when understand where the open SPOTS are. Still a work in progress but I so trust him/ them to take another sizable step forward.

Which is why I would list the touchdown throw to Diggs in the Colts playoff game as one of my favorites.  Hit him perfectly in stride so he could blow by the defender...and I remember Diggs making Allen throw a ball over in training camp to lead him like that.  Agree, needs to do that even more consistently, but when he does it is a thing of beauty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FML, why don't you just bring up Deonte Thompson, Terelle Pryor and the Ghost of Jeremy Kerley while you're on this drive to cause Deja Vu Despair?

Deonte Thompson caught a huge pass in the Snow Game so he’s exempt from this 

Jeremy kerley was low. Might as well discuss ray ray 

47 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sal Cappacio called that video out as not doing the pass justice. He said it was just like the perfectly thrown pass he physically guided at the 49ers, only this one went over TWO defenders and into Beasleys breadbasket on the run. 

I find these reports to be quite disturbing. Allen’s arm must be getting more arrogant by the day. 

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In other developments....it appears the Bills are not happy with the plethora of OLmen they already have on the roster, as they have just signed two more

Beane is looking for a PS guy or 2 after he trades off the guys who don't make the team for picks.

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Deonte Thompson caught a huge pass in the Snow Game so he’s exempt from this 

Jeremy kerley was low. Might as well discuss ray ray 

Terelle Pryor Dude.  Just sayin'

Snow Game Pass for Deonte, got it.

And yes, while you're bringing up the Cat Hurl of 2018 WR, Rayray may be included

• Dislike 1