Mr. Monday Night-Josh Allen

To the best of my knowledge no QB that has ever played in multiple Monday night games has a higher career passing rating than Josh Allen. I was trying to do a split search of all QB's to have played on Monday but couldn't find the option on Stathead. So I looked up the usual suspects, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Lamar etc. Watson and Dak are the only ones who are close at 122.3, 1-1 record and 118.9 and 3-1 record respectively vs. Allen at 122.5 and a 2-1* record. But that rating for Allen is misleading as it includes the debacle rescheduled "Monday night'" game against the Chiefs last year. Very small sample size for all three obviously but it will be interesting to see where Allen comes out after the 2022 season. If we take into account just the true Monday Night games, which seems fair, Allen has a rating around 139 and it would be hard to imagine he could even dip below 110 next year with a couple of sub par games. 

Monday night games for next season are:

@ Tennessee

vs. New England

I've been thinking about last seasons 49ers Monday Night game recently. Allen has had a lot of good games but I can't really get that game out of my mind in terms of that particular game maybe being Allen's best game of his career so far. Started with some disaster plays early on offense that got us in a early hole but then Allen shook it off and got in a groove and just dominated. 

Then a few weeks later Allen and Diggs just toyed with the Pats in the rematch Monday night game in New England. Funny too because I thought we had a good chance of rolling them in that game because we had finally gotten that Patriots monkey off our backs in a tight bad weather game earlier in the year in Buffalo. 

For those wondering Mahomes is 5-1 with a 110.2 rating* and that also of course includes one rescheduled "Monday Night" game that worked out to Mahomes benefit because he had a 128.4 rating in the game against the Bills last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://stathead.com/football/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&order_by_asc=0&order_by=pass_rating&year_min=1950&game_type=R&ccomp[1]=gt&cval[1]=100&cstat[1]=pass_rating&positions[]=qb&age_min=0&age_max=99&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_day_of_week=2&season_start=1&season_end=-1

Finally figured out the search option in the link above. Looks like Billy Volek (remember him? neither did I) and and Marcus Mariotta of all QB's are the only ones ahead of Allen. But again, counting only true Monday Night games I don't think anyone is ahead of Allen or even close at his 138.9 or whatever it is. I short changed Lamar though. He is pretty close at 118.0 and a 2-1 record.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Nice post. I appreciate it.

No case of the Mondays here....

office space nothing to see here motherfucker GIF

Nothing picks me up better during a long work week than thinking about how good our QB is and how football season is just around the corner. LOL 

The next split I want to find is passer ratings in the month of December. Wondering if Allen might be top 10 all time for the month of December. Rodgers was 125 while Allen was 116. I was surprised Rodgers was so much higher than Allen given that Allen actually had the better TD to INT ratio by one TD.

If you start factoring in exceptions you will end up with a long list of reasons why certain games should not be included - games moved due to circumstances beyond teams' control, shortened seasons, tainted seasons in which a team violated rules including cap and blatant cheating, shortened strike seasons, games were zebras made a bad call costing a team the game,  games when zebras knew it was bad call (i.e. "give it to them"), teams which had far more away games than home, etc.  

Teams need to play the games they are scheduled and need to learn to dominate as much as possible so such factors are not shifting the balance between win and lose.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If you start factoring in exceptions you will end up with a long list of reasons why certain games should not be included - games moved due to circumstances beyond teams' control, shortened seasons, tainted seasons in which a team violated rules including cap and blatant cheating, shortened strike seasons, games were zebras made a bad call costing a team the game,  games when zebras knew it was bad call (i.e. "give it to them"), teams which had far more away games than home, etc.  

Teams need to play the games they are scheduled and need to learn to dominate as much as possible so such factors are not shifting the balance between win and lose.

I usually agree but the title of the thread and topic is "Mr. Monday Night". A re-scheduled original Thursday Night Fox broadcast to Monday at 5:00 pm ET time doesn't really seem out of bounds. How many exceptions are there really going to be like that. 

At any rate hopefully Allen can continue to dominate on Monday Nights. 

https://stathead.com/football/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&order_by_asc=0&order_by=pass_rating&year_min=1950&game_type=R&ccomp[1]=gt&cval[1]=105&cstat[1]=pass_rating&ccomp[2]=gt&cval[2]=60&cstat[2]=pass_att&positions[]=qb&age_min=0&age_max=99&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_month=12&season_start=1&season_end=-1

Here is the December split. Of note, Lamar showing very well in both 2019 and 2020. Of QB's to appear in at least 4 games Allen's 2021 December ranks around 23rd. That Steelers game really dropped him a lot unfortunately.  The one INT due to the interior rush probably being killer. 

45 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Nothing picks me up better during a long work week than thinking about how good our QB is and how football season is just around the corner. LOL 

The next split I want to find is passer ratings in the month of December. Wondering if Allen might be top 10 all time for the month of December. Rodgers was 125 while Allen was 116. I was surprised Rodgers was so much higher than Allen given that Allen actually had the better TD to INT ratio by one TD.

Look up 4th quarter stats? Comeback stats?

The kid's got fire in his heart and ice in his veins. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Why only Monday night? Throw in the Thanksgiving game against Dallas. Were there any other prime time or nationally televised games (not including playoffs)? Allen seems to shine under the spotlight.

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

https://stathead.com/football/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&order_by_asc=0&order_by=pass_rating&year_min=1950&game_type=R&ccomp[1]=gt&cval[1]=100&cstat[1]=pass_rating&positions[]=qb&age_min=0&age_max=99&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_day_of_week=2&season_start=1&season_end=-1

Finally figured out the search option in the link above. Looks like Billy Volek (remember him? neither did I) and and Marcus Mariotta of all QB's are the only ones ahead of Allen. But again, counting only true Monday Night games I don't think anyone is ahead of Allen or even close at his 138.9 or whatever it is. I short changed Lamar though. He is pretty close at 118.0 and a 2-1 record.

How can you not remember Billy Volek? There was a few years where we were gonna trade for him and he was gonna lead us to super bowl.