Jake Kumerow… make the team or trade to GB?

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oh yeah, my bad. You're right. So it has basically already happened. It's going to have a big impact.

Absolutely 

Defensive players are not allowed to cut pulling lineman below the waist either outside of that box 

Going to have a huge impact

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Stevenson has a shot but he would have to flat out win the return job. Anything else and I think he has a year on the PS.

And I think he has a much better chance of doing that then people are giving him credit for. McKenzie was cut by the Broncos and ended up here for fumbling too many returns. He had 6 fumbles in 2017, 3 were lost. In 2018, he had 2 more and lost one of them. This is why he wasn't used as a Returner for us very often. Even when we were down a return man, we would often put Micah Hyde back there to return Punts because he was more trusted to cleanly handle them. 

That combined with us drafting a return man in Stevenson and I don't see it being a done deal that McKenzie's just being handed the job. I think it's at least an open competition between the two. Or possibly just Stevenson's job in their eyes outright.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was wrong, it's actually ONLY permitted within the TE box now, so it actually is illegal to cut block on the outside like that. So yeah, the Diggs block would be illegal this coming season.

It's going to be very interesting to see how teams adjust.

Gross. I would understand if it's in and around the line. It's harder to protect yourself there. Outside of that, you have more space and more nimble guys.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Kumerow could make it here. I think the 6th spot is most likely him or Hodgins.

Agreed.  Question is do you keep him as the 7th receiver instead of a 4th TE?

IF AROD says he was the 2nd best WR on the team, does that mean JK is that good, or does GB have a weak WR core (or some combo of both). 

Long story short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rodgers thinks he is that good, maybe he is?

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I need to see Hodgins do something first. He is their own pick so he has that but Kumerow contributed a bit both on offense and teams last year. Hodgins needs to ball out in camp and pre-season to make the roster IMO.

I mean he didn't play bc of injuries last year. It pretty much felt like a redshirt ing. Would be really nice if he could be the RZ target James Hardy was supposed to be. A guy can wish!

4 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

IF AROD says he was the 2nd best WR on the team, does that mean JK is that good, or does GB have a weak WR core (or some combo of both). 

Long story short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rodgers thinks he is that good, maybe he is?

It means for HIM he is 2nd most player would count on when he needed to make a play. 

That does not mean player who would catch the 2nd most passes or 2nd most TDs.

When he is in scramble drill he is player who seems to know how to get to an open spot that Rodgers will be looking for.

He is not likely covered by 1st or 2nd CB in most cases.

Some QBs-WRs are just in sync with each other.  Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson were like that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And I think he has a much better chance of doing that then people are giving him credit for. McKenzie was cut by the Broncos and ended up here for fumbling too many returns. He had 6 fumbles in 2017, 3 were lost. In 2018, he had 2 more and lost one of them. This is why he wasn't used as a Returner for us very often. Even when we were down a return man, we would often put Micah Hyde back there to return Punts because he was more trusted to cleanly handle them. 

That combined with us drafting a return man in Stevenson and I don't see it being a done deal that McKenzie's just being handed the job. I think it's at least an open competition between the two. Or possibly just Stevenson's job in their eyes outright.

Beane and McDermott both said in the spring that McKenzie has the first shot. I think he is a pretty short favourite in the competition. 

I’m hoping Hodgins makes it and on a rookie contract for the next three years.  He had a good camp last year until injured.  Kumerow is ok, but if we could get a 6th for him, and GB gets to appease Rodgers, that’s a win for everyone.

I think this is going to be our roster anyway.

Diggs

Sanders

Beasely

Davis

McKenzie

Hodgins

The rookie to the PS, with the option to activate him if McKenzie hasn’t improved in fumbling returns.  It’s not much, but we’d save $920K in Kumerow’s salary, there’s no dead cap, and I don’t see GB giving up anything more than a 6th.

They will probably wait us out and hope he’s cut, but that’s not a lock.  We could always keep Hodgins on the PS and have Kumerow as the 6th.  As far as 7 WR’s, most NFL coaches seem to keep the same number of guys in each position group, so I expect us to keep 6 active.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Unless this regime has suddenly changed its m.o., it's not likely they'll carry 7 WRs. They have never rostered more than 6 under Beane and McDermott. Although they certainly have 7 WRs worthy of a roster spot, they are more likely to go long in the trenches. IMO.

I expect Beane to pull off a couple of trades this Preseason tbh. Kumerow could be one of them if he's not going to make the roster. I also expect at least one of our OL'man to be dealt. 

15 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Keep Kumerow. He's my 6th WR right now, and even if he's cut we need 3 WRs on PS and can protect 4 players. 

Bills can protect 4 players on PS as well. He will likely make the team or one of those spots.

They can't protect 4 players on the PS at cutdowns. You cut down to 53. Everyone else is a FA or goes to waivers. If they clear waivers you can sign them back to your practice squad (although other teams can sign them for their PS too) and once they are on your PS they can only be signed away by a team wanting to put them on their 53. Equally each week throughout the season the Bills then get to protect 4 PS from being stolen for the duration of that week only.  

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Personally, I would keep 3 TE / FBs. I'd keep Gilliam as a special teamer and hybrid FB/TE. I'd keep Knox and I'd keep Hollister and I'd try to get Tommy Sweeney back on the PS (which I am pretty sure they will be able to do because he just doesn't have any tape for teams to want him for their 53). That would give me flexibility to keep an extra receiver two from Kumerow who plays on some coverage teams, Stevenson as an extra return option, and Hodgins because I like his potential as a redzone guy. 

But the history of this regime is they will keep 4 FB/TEs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If Kumerow is worth Aaron Rodgers throwing a hissy fit over, he has to be good enough for a spot on Bills roster. He didn’t get the moniker “Touchdown Jesus” for nothing 

I think he got the nickname based on his appearance, not the 2 TD's he caught during his career in GB.  He's 29 and hasn't really accomplished much. That's getting old for a WR.

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They can't protect 4 players on the PS at cutdowns. You cut down to 53. Everyone else is a FA or goes to waivers. If they clear waivers you can sign them back to your practice squad (although other teams can sign them for their PS too) and once they are on your PS they can only be signed away by a team wanting to put them on their 53. Equally each week throughout the season the Bills then get to protect 4 PS from being stolen for the duration of that week only.  

Personally, I would keep 3 TE / FBs. I'd keep Gilliam as a special teamer and hybrid FB/TE. I'd keep Knox and I'd keep Hollister and I'd try to get Tommy Sweeney back on the PS (which I am pretty sure they will be able to do because he just doesn't have any tape for teams to want him for their 53). That would give me flexibility to keep an extra receiver two from Kumerow who plays on some coverage teams, Stevenson as an extra return option, and Hodgins because I like his potential as a redzone guy. 

But the history of this regime is they will keep 4 FB/TEs. 

GB, good clarification, and I’ll add they went back from 16 last year on PS back to 12 and only 2 can be veteran players.  So they did hold over to a smaller degree the pandemic rule change on PS.  Incidentally, they will move up to 14 next year.  He doesn’t meet the traditional PS qualifications.

18 hours ago, todd said:

Jake Kumrow probably won't make this team. Why would the Packers trade for a guy that will be cut?

Beane has finagled a 6th or 7th pick in the past for someone they were likely to cut for a guy the trading partner doesn’t want to hit the open market. 

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely 

Defensive players are not allowed to cut pulling lineman below the waist either outside of that box 

Going to have a huge impact

Screen game just got marginalized…

On 7/28/2021 at 1:39 PM, CSBill said:

I like Jake, he’s sort of a hybrid TE / WR type, gives the QB a lot of options. And he is also a valuable Special Teams player. You know how McBean and company love those ST’ers. 

This may be crazy, but I love the guy for the TD Josh threw him up the seam. One of the best balls I’ve seen Josh throw. That was such a beautiful play I’d love to see more just like it! 

Just goes to show, one team’s trash can be another team’s treasure! What do you think Rodgers would give for our WR group?