Around the League Training Camp Thread

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I feel like Lawrence will have a Matt Ryan type career. A very good QB who flirts with being elite. Not saying they are the same kind of player but just that type of career trajectory. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. 

feels more like Matthew Stafford to me.  That feeling of "all these years, it felt like the quality of the team was holding him back.  Imagine if he was on a good team."  Whereas we know what Matt Ryan's ceiling is.  Not comparing ceilings, but it seems like we will never know Trevor Lawrence's.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They did that months ago and haven’t wavered once 

I didn't know that. Makes sense if Fields isn't ready especially playing at the Rams on SNF and Aaron Donald. That would a tough start for a rookie QB.

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I feel like Lawrence will have a Matt Ryan type career. A very good QB who flirts with being elite. Not saying they are the same kind of player but just that type of career trajectory. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. 

He's like matt ryan in the pocket with insane athleticism.. and a cannon.. he has a high floor and high ceiling

Whether he reaches it is debatable especially with jax

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

feels more like Matthew Stafford to me.  That feeling of "all these years, it felt like the quality of the team was holding him back.  Imagine if he was on a good team."  Whereas we know what Matt Ryan's ceiling is.  Not comparing ceilings, but it seems like we will never know Trevor Lawrence's.

Another fair comparison. I feel like we will be seeing QB's in the future wanting to leave organizations that they feel aren't putting a good enough team around them like star NBA players. QB's are really the only NFL players with comparable leverage. I could see Lawrence as he is approaching 30 asking out of Jacksonville if they can't put a decent team around him. 

42 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I didn't know that. Makes sense if Fields isn't ready especially playing at the Rams on SNF and Aaron Donald. That would a tough start for a rookie QB.

They have zero chance to beat the Rams with Dalton starting.  Why not throw Fields out there and give the team at least some shot?

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Another fair comparison. I feel like we will be seeing QB's in the future wanting to leave organizations that they feel aren't putting a good enough team around them like star NBA players. QB's are really the only NFL players with comparable leverage. I could see Lawrence as he is approaching 30 asking out of Jacksonville if they can't put a decent team around him. 

I can see Lawrence leaving after his contract

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can see Lawrence leaving after his contract

I think he takes the money after his rookie deal expires if he is performing well enough to justify a fairly big extension. The risk of playing out a rookie deal when the Jags have the franchise tag in their back pocket is simply too great for him to not just take a huge guarantee. Then once he is approaching the end of his second contract he will tell the Jags basically that he isn't going to resign once his deal ends. By that point he will have collected on a big contract and have the ability to make whatever decisions he wants football wise. 

I think that will be a trend among top tier QB's. Similar to what star NBA players do towards the end of their second contracts.  

16 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Becton possibly concussed?

If he's throwing up as a result of a concussion, that could be serious, and represent a vestibular issue, which would be a very bad thing for a professional athlete. Hopefully, it doesn't become a long-term issue for him.

I'm really looking forward to the AFCE being a competitive division, but man... the Jets can't catch a break!

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/new-york-jets/robert-saleh-provides-injury-update-on-mekhi-becton/amp

The hits keep on coming.

Sounds like he was puking during practice today as well. Not in great shape “ Stamina-wise” this far into camp.

Me Likey😈

The article said he was puking and being evaluated for a concussion.  Vomiting is one indicator of a nasty concussion.  There is no insinuation other than your own that Becton was puking because hes out of shape.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

How does guard depth change with Lamp on IR?  Boettger and Bates were/are our best 2 backup interior guys, regardless of Lamp being healthy.

Someone trading for Dillard is looking for a starter, not to make him their 4th tackle.  just my opinion

Based on previous results I think Boettger is better at starting guard with Cody Ford but Ford can back up both guards and RT.

5 hours ago, syhuang said:

Becton possibly concussed?

The Becton thing to me is scary because it sounds like he had the head to head collision and the Jets didn’t recognize it.  He stayed in and then went to the sidelines himself and started Upchucking before someone noticed it and then trainers came over.

With everything else they have done - to potentially totally miss a huge concussion to the point that he is throwing up - that training staff has some issues.

I also think it is funny that they say they pulled him - that was not how it read as it was happening, but maybe the reporters were missing something.

Edited by Rochesterfan

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The Becton thing to me is scary because it sounds like he had the head to head collision and the Jets didn’t recognize it.  He stayed in and then went to the sidelines himself and started Upchucking before someone noticed it and then trainers came over.

With everything else they have done - to potentially totally miss a huge concussion to the point that he is throwing up - that training staff has some issues.

I also think it is funny that they say they pulled him - that was not how it read as it was happening, but maybe the reporters were missing something.

It does seem like the case that Becton continued to play few more snaps before he puked.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The article said he was puking and being evaluated for a concussion.  Vomiting is one indicator of a nasty concussion.  There is no insinuation other than your own that Becton was puking because hes out of shape.  

I heard it on sports radio in Charlotte. 
   The Panthers play the Jets in their opener. They had talked to someone from NY ( which I missed) earlier in the show and that is how they presented it; as if it happened prior to the concussion. 

11 hours ago, mannc said:

They have zero chance to beat the Rams with Dalton starting.  Why not throw Fields out there and give the team at least some shot?

two words

aaron donald

5 hours ago, wjag said:

two words

aaron donald

So they’re just going to hide Fields on the bench every time the Bears go up against a good defensive player? What’s Aaron Donald going to do to him?  Kill him?  Under the new rules, AD is barely allowed to breathe on him.  Anyway, Fields was the starting QB for Ohio State, ffs.  I think he can handle it.