Around the League Training Camp Thread

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

HOOOO!  Talk about cherry-picking data, Exhibit A right here.

You’re omitting something highly relevant: When Winston threw for those 33 TD, he threw 30 interceptions.  THIRTY.  

Show me the OC who thinks a QB who throws 30 interceptions can “diagnose a defense perfectly well and slice up a defense with the best of them” and I’ll show you a  Deed to a bridge in Brooklyn.  And this wasn’t an anomaly.  The previous season he was on-track to throw 25 (normalized to a full season). 

“Taking risks he didn’t need to” is another way to say “couldn’t distinguish between a risk and a good play at game speed”.  If he knew what he was doing and could just dial his Risk-O-Meter down when he came back from suspension in 2018, got put back in the starter’s role over Fitz, and a few games later proceeded to throw 4 picks, get sacked 5 times and get benched for Fitz.  I’m sure Koetter had a few choice words for him.  And he CERTAINLY would have dialed it back in 2019 after his 5 pick, 7 sack game.  Instead he went on to throw two more 4 INT games.  Don’t you think Arians tried arse-kicking?  

Oh while we’re at it, let’s talk about sacks.  Some pundits consider sacks to be as bad as INTs in that they often result in a COP and can switch the field.  Winston took 47 sacks that cost his team 282 yards in 2019. Tons of sacks are also often a sign of poor QB judgement: the QB either doesn’t recognize the blitz and adjust the protections, or doesn’t know where his “Answers” are, or they’re coverage sacks where he shows poor judgement and hangs onto the ball too long.

No, a starting QB who has shown the same sack-taking INT-making proclivities into his 5th season can not be considered a dude who can “diagnose a defense perfectly” and just needs a little boot in the butt.

P5t5rman considers him his idle and wishes he would grow and be as good as him physically.

SI: Hometown hospital cuts ties with Minnesota Vikings QB Kirk Cousins over vaccine comments

One day after Cousins essentially doubled down on his anti-vaccine position at a press conference, Holland Hospital (Michigan) decided to cut ties with him. The former Holland Christian High School and Michigan State star had a partnership with the hospital's sports medicine department dating back to 2017.

• Like (+1) 1

I've considered Cousins to be the lamest example of a starting QB for about 2 years now - the perfectly average dude that you sink money into that will never, ever get you a ring - but this is truly hilarious. Plexiglass, Kurt?! You dummy.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, appoo said:

He also threw 5100 yards and 33 TDs.  Josh Allen threw for 4700 and 37.

What that tells me is that Winston can diagnose a defense perfectly well and slice up a defense with the best of them. You don't throw 5100 yards and 33 TDs without being able to do that. The INTs tells me that he also trusted his arm far too much and took risks that he didn't need to. Hence, my thought that he needed a kick in the arse, to accept that he doesn't have to make a big play every time he drops back, and that check downs are fine.

Dude is talented. Absolutely no question there. It's always been about him having the discipline to not risks.

Sometimes that discipline can't be learned, though. You left out an incredibly important stat that dulls everything else - Winston: 30 INT (led the league!) / Allen: 10

I know you weren't necessarily comparing them, but I'm just adding that there are some very good reasons Famous Jameis is still a giant risk despite the gaudy numbers. Top of the list for me personally is the infamous "Eat a W" video where he drools all over his fingers, but his always very poor decision making is right up there as well. He's like rookie year Josh Allen, forever.

Edited by Nelius

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Jets are having a scrimmage 1st team offense vs 1st team defense, 2nd team offense vs 2nd team defense, 3rd team offense vs 3rd team defense

Zach Wilson is doing his best to imitate Sam Darnold

Not going to screw up and have the 1s play the 2s like last year that could be humiliating.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Not going to screw up and have the 1s play the 2s like last year that could be humiliating.

That was so hilarious. How does it even happen that the 2nd team guys crush your starters on both sides of the ball? 

I'm not going to bury Zach Wilson after a bad rookie offseason. I remember Allen having his share of troubles his first training camp. But based on all the reports it does sound like the Jets will yet again be two easy wins on our schedule this year. Wilson might be a pick machine while he figures it out.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not going to bury Zach Wilson after a bad rookie offseason. I remember Allen having his share of troubles his first training camp. But based on all the reports it does sound like the Jets will yet again be two easy wins on our schedule this year. Wilson might be a pick machine while he figures it out.

That is true if the 2020/21 Bills played the 2018 Bills they'd crush them like a tin can.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That is true if the 2020/21 Bills played the 2018 Bills they'd crush them like a tin can.

"In Washington, scientists reading this thread pressed the president and Congress for unprecedented funding into research and development of time travel."

Saints' Michael Thomas ignored calls from team, trainer for months following 2020 season, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-michael-thomas-ignored-calls-from-team-trainer-for-months-following-2020-season-per-report/

He signed a five-year, $100 million contract extension just over 24 months ago.

The two sides had a very contentious 2020 that included rumors about a rather sizable fracture in the relationship, and things were only made worse by the lack of availability of the All-Pro receiver -- having logged only five starts due mostly to a nagging ankle injury.

He choose to have surgery in June.  That says he is looking for free ride on season and trying to force a trade.  This is why contracts are not fully guaranteed.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, not only that, but as we've learned there can be many reasons for a pick - the WR not running the right route, not running it the right way.

They have a new coach and a new offense to go with their rookie QB, give them some slack.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Saints' Michael Thomas ignored calls from team, trainer for months following 2020 season, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-michael-thomas-ignored-calls-from-team-trainer-for-months-following-2020-season-per-report/

He choose to have surgery in June.  That says he is looking for free ride on season and trying to force a trade.  This is why contracts are not fully guaranteed.

If the team can show what this article alleges, I think they may be able to cancel his ticket for that free ride and put it down as NFI.

The player gets team directions for off-season treatment of injuries and rehab.  The player has an absolute right to choose their own medical professional for a second opinion, as they should.   Most vets have salaries that are guaranteed for injury.  But I don't think salaries are guaranteed for ignoring team medical directions AND delaying to get treatment per 2nd opinion.  At the very least, it's a murky gray area.

He’s only been in practice about a week… I wouldn’t get too worked up about this.  

I don’t necessarily think he’s that good to begin with, but him struggling early in camp isn’t why. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

I fail to understand why they didn't bring in competition for him. He didn't even earn the starting job, they just gave it to him. Even if he isn't ready by week 1, they will be forced to start him. 

Saying it from now, I ranked the 2021 draft class as follows:

1. Lawrence

2. Lance

3. Fields

4. Jones

5. Wilson

• Like (+1) 1