Around the League Training Camp Thread

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I certainly get what you're saying. Are you a Chris Jones DT KC fan? I'm not a fan, I hate KC but Chris Jones is a blue DT. Do you know his hgt. and Wgt.? He is 6'6" 310#. The guy is just a monster vs. the run and pass and I think he is why the chefs are better than we are. Groot 6'6" 290# could easily gain 20 by next season. He is also used to (as much as anything else at least) rushing from the interior. Maybe he plays both for us maybe he moves to tackle. Maybe Boogie does too? Who knows? But if Chris Jones can be a feared pass rusher (and great run defender) Maybe Groot Can too. At his age and position experience level, he could become just about anything. Tight end? Who knows? The qualities I think he has are: he's tough I have heard (hard worker, etc.) He's huge (That is a given) He is a rare athlete. Especially for his size. I think he is a perfect lump of clay for our supposedly great coaches. (Frazier, McD, our DL coach, our LB coach, we have a lot of great D coaches supposedly.) 

Hopefully, Tremaine, Ed, AJ, Groot and Boogie really shine this fall. I don't expect a ton from the rookies, but everyone else. From the rookies, I want to see glimpses of great talent. Especially from Groot even though he is exceedingly raw. I think he is smart and a hard worker so if he is special athletically we should see it....

But back to getting a pass rusher, I agree that for the most part, I think it is shorter guys that excel. Or, at least, we should have a young, squat, speed guy on the roster like Jerry Hughes. We'll see....

With Jerry, Star and Addison coming off the payroll this year perhaps we can sign an impact veteran defender? And maybe draft another DL in the first two rounds?

We have to keep an eye on O always though as well as JA needs protection and weapons that get open. We'll see what we have this year (from the last three drafts) and act accordingly next draft.

I fully hope so about Groot.

Last year was such a bizarre year and it makes it so hard to get a correct read on Oliver and Epenesa. Let’s say both of them have a “ breakout” year ( minimum of 8 sacks apiece, numerous hurries, TFLs, a few forced fumbles each). I expect every other player on the line immediately also has a quantifiably better year as well. Throw in this years class getting quality reps and also producing and our D line and overall D jumps 8-10 spots in ranking. Suddenly we have an above average D line rotation which helps every position on D.
    This is the linchpin of my optimistic forecast this year. It might not happen but it seems to me very possible.

Immediately our O gets that much better with less pressure, more playing with the lead. Throw in a better showing in the run game and luck with overall health/ injuries and we are the team to beat!

And, why not us.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They.  Aren’t.  Even. Wearing. Pads.  Yet.

I know.  Lots of things can change.  Unfortunately, I don't know what will be happening next week or the week after that... I'm just reporting on what happened as it happend and what was said. 

The O line isn't surprising, they've been talking about the new guys for the line in glowing fashion since the first rookie/mini camp.

Some less positive observations from yestarday.

S Juan Thornhill was running with the 2's.  Dan Sorenson was with the 1's at S.  That isn't ideal...hoping that changes as camp progresses.

When Anthony Hitchens left the field to have a hammy/cramp tended to, it was not 2nd rounder Nick Bolton that came in to replace him, but instead Ben Nieman, who has been a hanger on at LB for the past few years and has played way more than you'd ever want a player of his caliber to play.  Hopeful that Bolton works his way right on up the depth chart but today was not encouraging. 

It's very early.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I guess at least all this helps the Saints get under cap?

Don’t want to see Tommy have a cake walk through the season!!!!

Panthers are legit looking like the second best team in the NFC South…😳

HATE IT

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I fully hope so about Groot.

Last year was such a bizarre year and it makes it so hard to get a correct read on Oliver and Epenesa. Let’s say both of them have a “ breakout” year ( minimum of 8 sacks apiece, numerous hurries, TFLs, a few forced fumbles each). I expect every other player on the line immediately also has a quantifiably better year as well. Throw in this years class getting quality reps and also producing and our D line and overall D jumps 8-10 spots in ranking. Suddenly we have an above average D line rotation which helps every position on D.
    This is the linchpin of my optimistic forecast this year. It might not happen but it seems to me very possible.

Immediately our O gets that much better with less pressure, more playing with the lead. Throw in a better showing in the run game and luck with overall health/ injuries and we are the team to beat!

And, why not us.

who’s Groot?

31 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Apologies if this has already been referenced somewhere I missed upthread, but looks like Lamar will also miss a good chunk of training camp, at least 10 days…

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/28/lamar-jackson-tests-covid-19-positive-ravens-training-camp/

Lamar is a bit of a slow learner.  This is the second time he has had Covid.  On a brighter note for the Ravens, he does not need much training camp time.  He already knows how to run.

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

That’s too bad.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FLFan said:

He already knows how to run.

True, but unless he becomes a better passer he's likely to end up like most scramble-first QBs - hurt and out of a job.

37 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Apologies if this has already been referenced somewhere I missed upthread, but looks like Lamar will also miss a good chunk of training camp, at least 10 days…

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/28/lamar-jackson-tests-covid-19-positive-ravens-training-camp/

Great opening line.... "Lamar Jackson is an elusive runner but for a second time, he’s tackled by Covid."

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://kslsports.com/464603/report-jets-likely-wont-budge-on-talks-with-zach-wilson/
‘Report: Jets Likely Won’t Budge On Talks With Zach Wilson’

Zach Wilson the only Jets player that did not report to training camp.

His Jets career is Off to a great start! 🤣

"Here Lies the Body of Ernest Gray, Who Died Defending his Right of Way.  He was Right, Dead Right, as he sped along...but he's just as dead now as if he'd been Wrong"

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

C3 -- Covid, Concussion, Covid..  Tough run.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, LeGOATski said:

He mentions Micah Hyde as a veteran wronged by the Packers in the past...

Hyde's talked about it. He felt the Packers disrespected him.

I can't help but think that Rodgers really sounds a lot like LeBron James. He wanted to "recruit" guys and have a say in free agency? That's not your job. If you think your front office is bad at their job, go play somewhere else.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Zerovoltz said:

To open camp today, Kansas City sent out the 1st team OL and that consisted of:

LT Orlando Brown

LG Joe Thuney

C Creed Humphrey

RG Trey Smith

RT Mike Remmers

The bolded are rookies.  I've mentioned it a coupled times here and there since the draft.  Trey Smith is going to prove to be the steal of this entire draft.  Nothing but glowing reports on this guy since he showed up.  Reid is usually not the biggest fan of putting rookies in the starting lineup...but even today on day 1 of camp, Reid gave yet another strong assessment of Smith.

Of course it's still early, and I don't want to discount my Chiefs bias as I report this...so there is that...but being as objective as I can...the very early returns on the rebuilt line and the rookies on it....Smith in particular....is very good.

5th Round TE Noah Gray out of Duke is getting alot of attention and making alot of plays. 

Last years second round LB Willie Gay reported to have had a great day 1 of camp....and was out with the "ones" 

Wow so many great starts for so many players as reported by non-biased KC reporters

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

Hyde's talked about it. He felt the Packers disrespected him.

I can't help but think that Rodgers really sounds a lot like LeBron James. He wanted to "recruit" guys and have a say in free agency? That's not your job. If you think your front office is bad at their job, go play somewhere else.

I mean...that's essentially what he said. He would go play somewhere else.

On the flip side, he's built something great in GB and he's justified for being torn about potentially leaving. I think he described that thought process very elegantly in his recent press conference.

I think if you have arguably the greatest QB ever on your team and he desires to discuss personnel decisions, you work with him.

• Agree 2

On 7/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Zerovoltz said:

To open camp today, Kansas City sent out the 1st team OL and that consisted of:

LT Orlando Brown

LG Joe Thuney

C Creed Humphrey

RG Trey Smith

RT Mike Remmers

The bolded are rookies.  I've mentioned it a coupled times here and there since the draft.  Trey Smith is going to prove to be the steal of this entire draft.  Nothing but glowing reports on this guy since he showed up.  Reid is usually not the biggest fan of putting rookies in the starting lineup...but even today on day 1 of camp, Reid gave yet another strong assessment of Smith.

Of course it's still early, and I don't want to discount my Chiefs bias as I report this...so there is that...but being as objective as I can...the very early returns on the rebuilt line and the rookies on it....Smith in particular....is very good.

5th Round TE Noah Gray out of Duke is getting alot of attention and making alot of plays. 

Last years second round LB Willie Gay reported to have had a great day 1 of camp....and was out with the "ones" 

Dear Admins,

Please bring back the Meh rep emoji.

😒