Where Did NFL Coaches & Evaluators Place Josh Allen Among QB Tiers?

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think some people are convinced that was real...they want to see it again before they buy in.

No other non-established QB had close to as good of a season.  If it were a result of the pandemic, many other QBs would have look really good. 

• Like (+1) 1

honestly, for the way they do these things, i think it's fair.  they remember allen falling apart in his first playoff game (obv not the whole story, and his roster did worse than he did, but that's what it is), and his bad stats out the gate, and use that to think well his third year might be a fluke and he still makes mistakes (obviously pure bias, given that everyone makes mistakes, the 3 awful picks brady threw against GB was just a chance to show his great leadership).

the bottom line, he played as well or better than any qb last season w the exceptions of a aron, and will show exactly what he's made of this season (gold, he's made of solid gold by the way).

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

There's no way that Wilson should be ranked above Allen.  Yes, there's the sustained success element that Allen doesn't have, but I watched the Bills-Seahawks game last year, and I'm pretty sure who the better QB was that day, and will be this season

Yea, looking at the stats as well, Wilson has never had a year as good as Allen had last year in terms of total touchdowns, total yards or completion percentage.  If he's placed above Allen it's not because of recent performance but holding on to old narratives. 

2 hours ago, billsrul120 said:

Yea, looking at the stats as well, Wilson has never had a year as good as Allen had last year in terms of total touchdowns, total yards or completion percentage.  If he's placed above Allen it's not because of recent performance but holding on to old narratives. 

Can you imagine the narrative if Allen threw a Super Bowl losing interception at the goal line?

8 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

There's no way that Wilson should be ranked above Allen.  Yes, there's the sustained success element that Allen doesn't have, but I watched the Bills-Seahawks game last year, and I'm pretty sure who the better QB was that day, and will be this season

I would rank Josh 4 behind Mahomes, Rodgers & Brady. I would slide Wilson and Watson to 5/6 based on Russell's age and Watson's pending legal issues/availability. Josh has been incrementally improving every year and I see nothing stopping that trend. He'll throw 40+ with at least 5-6 rushing tds thrown in for good measure. And with a 17 game season, 5000 is very attainable. Josh won't be #2 until Brady & Rodgers retire. And by the time that happens Herbert will be #3.

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The annual QB Rankings were released in an article from The Athletic.   For the rankings 50 NFL coaches and execs place starting QB’s into 5 different tiers.  

Josh Allen was their 6th highest rated QB and the highest member of Tier 2.  He fell just out of Tier 1 with the biggest knock on him being sustainability and fumbles.  He actually received 20 Tier 1 votes which puts him just outside of that level.  Overall he received 20 Tier 1 votes and 30 Tier 2 votes.  The next closest was DeShaun Watson who edged him with 26 Tier 1 votes, 23 Tier 2 votes, and 1 Tier 3 vote!.  

You can read the full analysis in the links below:

2021 NFL Quarterback Tiers: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the league’s starters 

https://theathletic.com/2727336/2021/07/28/2021-nfl-quarterback-tiers-50-coaches-and-evaluators-rank-the-leagues-starters/?source=user_shared_article

A lot of positive comments on Allen.  Here’s what the skeptical GM and Coaches had to say: 

For those interested, the Tier 1 QB’s along with the vote count were:

1. Aaron Rogers (50)

2. Patrick Mahomes (50)

3. Tom Brady (41,9)

4. Russell Wilson (40,10)

5. DeShaun Watson (26,23,1)

Beane can use this in contract negotiations 😎

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Didn't Mahomes set a record for lost yardage on a sack last season?

Boy, the selective memory is interesting. Who is taking Brady, Wilson or Watson over Allen next year? Did it not matter that Brady threw three interceptions in the second half against GB with the game on the line?

I don't care much about the rankings but the thought process is interesting.

Lol yup. Maybe this is the "30 yard sack" that guy was thinking of: https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/12/14/chiefs-dolphins-patrick-mahomes-sack-video

I think the Exec is saying - I want to see this repeated and sustainable.   I think it is a fair ask.   The folks in Tier 1 list are all repeat performers.

Allen will silence all his critics with a similar performance this season

39 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I have no idea how someone could hold the Colts playoff game against Allen. He singlehandedly won that game.

+1

The drive he had right before half time is of stuff that legends make

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Didn't Mahomes set a record for lost yardage on a sack last season?

Yes.  And Brady threw 3 picks against GB in the NFCCG

I’m like “whatever, I don’t care”

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I have no idea how someone could hold the Colts playoff game against Allen. He singlehandedly won that game.

I can’t quite go there.  Our D had a couple epic stands.  But of course, if they didn’t get frogmarched backwards down the field they wouldn’t need to be so epic.

But yes, even if I don’t agree that he singlehandedly won that game, Allen is the primary reason we won and went on.

22 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The annual QB Rankings were released in an article from The Athletic.   For the rankings 50 NFL coaches and execs place starting QB’s into 5 different tiers.  

Josh Allen was their 6th highest rated QB and the highest member of Tier 2.  He fell just out of Tier 1 with the biggest knock on him being sustainability and fumbles.  He actually received 20 Tier 1 votes which puts him just outside of that level.  Overall he received 20 Tier 1 votes and 30 Tier 2 votes.  The next closest was DeShaun Watson who edged him with 26 Tier 1 votes, 23 Tier 2 votes, and 1 Tier 3 vote!.  

You can read the full analysis in the links below:

2021 NFL Quarterback Tiers: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the league’s starters 

https://theathletic.com/2727336/2021/07/28/2021-nfl-quarterback-tiers-50-coaches-and-evaluators-rank-the-leagues-starters/?source=user_shared_article

A lot of positive comments on Allen.  Here’s what the skeptical GM and Coaches had to say: 

For those interested, the Tier 1 QB’s along with the vote count were:

1. Aaron Rogers (50)

2. Patrick Mahomes (50)

3. Tom Brady (41,9)

4. Russell Wilson (40,10)

5. DeShaun Watson (26,23,1)

John, thanks for sharing although I’m one if the many who don’t have a subscription.  You’ve listed 1-6 including Allen at 6.  Would you mind sharing 7-10 or farther if you feel like it.  Appreciate as always you’re thoughtful threads.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

John, thanks for sharing although I’m one if the many who don’t have a subscription.  You’ve listed 1-6 including Allen at 6.  Would you mind sharing 7-10 or farther if you feel like it.  Appreciate as always you’re thoughtful threads.

sure here is the rest of Tier 2

7 - tie: Lamar Jackson (4, 38, 8 )

7-  tie: Matthew Stafford (4, 38, 3)

9: Dak Prescott (1, 41, 8 ) 

10: Justin Herbert (4, 37, 7, 2)

11: Matt Ryan (0, 32, 18 )

12: Kyler Murray (0, 30, 18, 2)

13: Ryan Tannehill (0, 27, 23)

14: Joe Burrow (0, 27, 17, 6)

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  And Brady threw 3 picks against GB in the NFCCG

I’m like “whatever, I don’t care"

Sure, but the trend of inconsistent standards applied to Josh are very interesting.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

sure here is the rest of Tier 2

7 - tie: Lamar Jackson (4, 38, 8 )

7-  tie: Matthew Stafford (4, 38, 3)

9: Dak Prescott (1, 41, 8 ) 

10: Justin Herbert (4, 37, 7, 2)

11: Matt Ryan (0, 32, 18 )

12: Kyler Murray (0, 30, 18, 2)

13: Ryan Tannehill (0, 27, 23)

14: Joe Burrow (0, 27, 17, 6)

You Da man Nordster.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can’t quite go there.  Our D had a couple epic stands.  But of course, if they didn’t get frogmarched backwards down the field they wouldn’t need to be so epic.

But yes, even if I don’t agree that he singlehandedly won that game, Allen is the primary reason we won and went on.

As well as the primary reason they went 13-3 and earned the #2 seed in the conference. Which leads me to my one big gripe of which tier he is in. Tier 2 was defined as somebody that can occasionally carry their team and be the reason they win. Riding Josh Allen is primary reason the Bills were 15-4 and a game away from the Super Bowl. You don’t have to be an NFL exec or coach on this voting panel to have noticed that. It was extremely obvious. 

Think I saw a graph in which Allen accounted for a higher % of his teams years and TD’s than any other qb…. Sorry that’s not carrying the team occasionally. That’s your team occasionally helping you out on the way to a 13-3 romp. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1