Where Did NFL Coaches & Evaluators Place Josh Allen Among QB Tiers?

The annual QB Rankings were released in an article from The Athletic.   For the rankings 50 NFL coaches and execs place starting QB’s into 5 different tiers.  

Josh Allen was their 6th highest rated QB and the highest member of Tier 2.  He fell just out of Tier 1 with the biggest knock on him being sustainability and fumbles.  He actually received 20 Tier 1 votes which puts him just outside of that level.  Overall he received 20 Tier 1 votes and 30 Tier 2 votes.  The next closest was DeShaun Watson who edged him with 26 Tier 1 votes, 23 Tier 2 votes, and 1 Tier 3 vote!.  

You can read the full analysis in the links below:

2021 NFL Quarterback Tiers: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the league’s starters 

https://theathletic.com/2727336/2021/07/28/2021-nfl-quarterback-tiers-50-coaches-and-evaluators-rank-the-leagues-starters/?source=user_shared_article

A lot of positive comments on Allen.  Here’s what the skeptical GM and Coaches had to say: 

Skeptical takes on Allen note that he still makes mistakes unbecoming of top-tier quarterbacks, including an 18-yard sack/fumble with the game on the line at Indianapolis in the wild-card round. The Bills barely won that game, scored 10 points on offense against Baltimore the next week and then lost by two touchdowns at Kansas City.

“He still has to keep getting better, and I think he will, as a passer in the tight situations,” a former head coach said. “The gotta-have-it type plays. You gotta drop back, sit in the pocket and make throws. He reverted back in the playoff game, took a 30-yard sack (18 yards) spinning around with the ball and doing *****. That is what happens. Now, he needs to take the next step.”

A defensive coordinator who placed Brady and Wilson in Tier 2 said Allen isn’t nearly advanced enough as a pure pocket passer or reader of defenses to belong in Tier 1.

“He perplexes me because in my career I have not seen someone go from as inaccurate as he was in college to making this kind of transition,” a personnel director said. “I need to see some sustainability before placing him in the top tier.”

For those interested, the Tier 1 QB’s along with the vote count were:

1. Aaron Rogers (50)

2. Patrick Mahomes (50)

3. Tom Brady (41,9)

4. Russell Wilson (40,10)

5. DeShaun Watson (26,23,1)

Edited by JohnNord
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• JohnNord changed the title to Where Did NFL Coaches & Evaluators Place Josh Allen Among QB Tiers?

Thanks for posting. Good read even if I know these rankings do not really mean anything.

What I always find perplexing is how some of these guys place so much emphasis on one play for one player (JA's "30-yard sack (18 yards)") and nothing about Wilson's red zone interception against the Bills. JA is a guy who takes risks and granted some don't work out but the "wow plays" are far more plentiful.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Thanks for posting. Good read even if I know these rankings do not really mean anything.

What I always find perplexing is how some of these guys place so much emphasis on one play for one player (JA's "30-yard sack (18 yards)") and nothing about Wilson's red zone interception against the Bills. JA is a guy who takes risks and granted some don't work out but the "wow plays" are far more plentiful.

Allen makes plays other QBs wouldn't even make in their wildest fantasies in their dreams at night because they didn't even know those type of plays were humanly possible.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Didn't Mahomes set a record for lost yardage on a sack last season?

Boy, the selective memory is interesting. Who is taking Brady, Wilson or Watson over Allen next year? Did it not matter that Brady threw three interceptions in the second half against GB with the game on the line?

I don't care much about the rankings but the thought process is interesting.

Lol yup. Maybe this is the "30 yard sack" that guy was thinking of: https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/12/14/chiefs-dolphins-patrick-mahomes-sack-video

Edited by Boxcar
  • Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Yeah it means nothing.  Some players have risen and dropped drastically.  I think it does show that the majority of NFL evaluators have a favorable opinion of Allen (for now) and I feel it bodes well for the future.

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t have a huge issue with him being number 6 on the list. But I have a LARGE issue with him being categorized with Qb’s that don’t regularly carry their team. 

It’s been argued by plenty in the media that no team in the NFL relied more on one player than the Bills did. And relying on that player got them to 13-3 and in a title game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Allen belongs in the 1st Tier, but if someone wants to make the argument that he's had a single great season and needs to do it again before he is considered elite, I can understand that line of thinking. 

Personally, I don't think last year was lightning in a bottle for Josh, I think it was the first gusts of a hurricane.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don’t have a huge issue with him being number 6 on the list. But I have a LARGE issue with him being categorized with Qb’s that don’t regularly carry their team. 

It’s been argued by plenty in the media that no team in the NFL relied more on one player than the Bills did. And relying on that player got them to 13-3 and in a title game. 

To that point I found the focus on the negative play of the colts game very interesting.  Yes that one play was bad, but they are not in the game let alone winning it if he doesn't play  outstanding the rest of the game.  I honestly thought the game was over when we went up 2TDs (!) in the 4th quarter.  Our defense really struggled.

• Agree 1

I think it’s worth mentioning that Allen got 20 tier 1 votes and the next closest qb in his same tier was 4. 

they noted the gap between him and Watson(tier 1), is much smaller than the gap between him and the next tier 2 qb(jackson) 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen won't reach tier 1 until he gets the Bills to the Superbowl.

or

Improves on his stats from last year. 80% completions. 60 TDs, and 6000 yards.

...because he has to fight against the media continuing to cling to their Draft analysis.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Haha (+1) 2

There's no way that Wilson should be ranked above Allen.  Yes, there's the sustained success element that Allen doesn't have, but I watched the Bills-Seahawks game last year, and I'm pretty sure who the better QB was that day, and will be this season

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

or

Allen will reach Tier 1 in almost everybody's mind if he can replicate last season imo. People who don't put him there don't believe he will sustain that level of play for more seasons imo.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

There's no way that Wilson should be ranked above Allen.  Yes, there's the sustained success element that Allen doesn't have, but I watched the Bills-Seahawks game last year, and I'm pretty sure who the better QB was that day, and will be this season

Just wait for the narrative over the first 6 weeks where people exclaim how they simply can't believe that Wilson has never received an MVP vote before the Seahawks' offense falls off a cliff.

59 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Allen belongs in the 1st Tier, but if someone wants to make the argument that he's had a single great season and needs to do it again before he is considered elite, I can understand that line of thinking. 

Personally, I don't think last year was lightning in a bottle for Josh, I think it was the first gusts of a hurricane.

“I think it was the first gusts of a hurricane”. Very well said, Inigo. Love that thought.

Thanks for sharing. Go Bills!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Apparently it's OK that Wilson disappears for huge chunks of games and parts of seasons as well...

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dumb. He’s clearly near the top of tier 1. 

I don't think some people are convinced that was real...they want to see it again before they buy in.

59 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

or

...because he has to fight against the media continuing to cling to their Draft analysis.

I definitely see what you’re saying. Analysts often cling to their draft analysis way too long. And, I thought that many held on to their narratives about Allen for too long for awhile.

That said, I don’t think that’s the case with Allen anymore. I think most have warmed to him. I believe he should be in tier one but most just want to see sustained success.

Four out of the five top tier one QBs do have Super Bowl titles. So, it could be that they want their tier one QBs to at least have been to a Super Bowl but I don’t think it has anything to do with narratives anymore. There may be a few that still feel that way, but overall, I believe he’s beyond that now.

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The annual QB Rankings were released in an article from The Athletic.   For the rankings 50 NFL coaches and execs place starting QB’s into 5 different tiers.  

Josh Allen was their 6th highest rated QB and the highest member of Tier 2.  He fell just out of Tier 1 with the biggest knock on him being sustainability and fumbles.  He actually received 20 Tier 1 votes which puts him just outside of that level.  Overall he received 20 Tier 1 votes and 30 Tier 2 votes.  The next closest was DeShaun Watson who edged him with 26 Tier 1 votes, 23 Tier 2 votes, and 1 Tier 3 vote!.  

You can read the full analysis in the links below:

2021 NFL Quarterback Tiers: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the league’s starters 

https://theathletic.com/2727336/2021/07/28/2021-nfl-quarterback-tiers-50-coaches-and-evaluators-rank-the-leagues-starters/?source=user_shared_article

A lot of positive comments on Allen.  Here’s what the skeptical GM and Coaches had to say: 

For those interested, the Tier 1 QB’s along with the vote count were:

1. Aaron Rogers (50)

2. Patrick Mahomes (50)

3. Tom Brady (41,9)

4. Russell Wilson (40,10)

5. DeShaun Watson (26,23,1)

Interesting take. I said in a different thread a few days ago that JA did need to take a step forward in the post season. He was not at his best in those games and the comments here reflect that. (BTW this is not a criticism of JA on my part.  I look forward to him taking steps forward - he will continue to do so.)

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think it’s worth mentioning that Allen got 20 tier 1 votes and the next closest qb in his same tier was 4. 

they noted the gap between him and Watson(tier 1), is much smaller than the gap between him and the next tier 2 qb(jackson) 

That was the exact quote in the article. He’s very close to Tier 1