Jim Kelly recovering from ankle replacement surgery

buffaloaggie

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The guy’s a warrior for sure and very inspirational. Funny because I heard so many stories about him being a jerk during his playing days. Doesn’t seem like that stuff was true. Get well, Jim. 👍

If you can find it, watch the episode of A Football Life on his journey and you’ll learn about his transformation. It’s an hour well spent!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Imagine what Tom Brady would look like, if he played in Kelly's era...

Can't believe I'm saying this but Brady* is a tough SOB.  Go look up the replay of Nate Clements' hit on him.  The dude bounced right up and was clapping.

• Agree 1

I never knew you could get a new ankle. Heard of hips, knees, even faces, but I had no idea there's a room in a hospital with a cupboard full of ankles.

And now I'm wondering what they did with the old ankle and whether I should check ebay to see if I can buy it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If Brady took the number of hits that Kelly endured, his career would long be over with.

'Kelly Tough' is Jim getting his collar bone broken by Steelers cheap shot artist, Greg Lloyd.

Kelly went into the locker room, to get taped up, and he throws a touchdown with his first pass, after emerging from the locker room..

Obviously I was thrilled when the Bills drafted Kelly.  When he refused to come here, and chose Houston and the USFL, I was pissed. Screw you, was my take then.

But when I saw how he played in Houston, while getting seriously abused due their horrible OL, I was back in the fold. "We NEED that guy, was my take" because he was probably going to be abused in Buffalo, too.  There are few modern football players as tough as JK, IMO.

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Mickey Mantle's liver could've been a hot piece of sports memorabilia, but he checked out, too soon. 😇

🤣

When I told my doctor (and lifelong friend) I was going to donate my body to science, we discussed what, if any, of my organs might be of use to anyone (other than for medical students to study).  My doctor friend suggested this:  "The Smithsonian might be interested in your liver."

Edited by The Dean
  • Haha (+1) 3

Actually a friend of mine just went through an ankle replacement. If I can put it correctly, it's where they literally remove the ankle bone, and do some grafting to where the ankle bone needs to regrow. My friend is also a tough mofo. In the 6 weeks since his surgery, he's already gone to a walking boot and can put 50lbs of pressure in limited quantities. Here's to the same outcome for JK. 

22 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Ankle replacement surgery (History) is relatively new and for cases where there is a lot of damage which body will not recover from naturally.

I had ankle surgery in 90's by Mayo Clinic where a large cyst size of a golf ball which intertwined with ankle bones, tendons and blood vessels was removed.  I asked about recovery and was told that due to amount of damage it was possible I would need further surgery or complete ankle replacement if it did not heal but it did with issues.

Ankle replacement surgery is very complicated and worse part it lasts ~10 years.

Thanks for the history link - I had no idea doctors were doing hip replacements in the 1890's!  I had my knee replaced at age 54 and it was the best decision I ever made.  Jimbo's proven he's tough and I have no doubt he'll be able to lead the parade downtown next February....

1 minute ago, chaccof said:

Thanks for the history link - I had no idea doctors were doing hip replacements in the 1890's!  I had my knee replaced at age 54 and it was the best decision I ever made.  Jimbo's proven he's tough and I have no doubt he'll be able to lead the parade downtown next February....

You are welcome.  I have spent quite amount of time with Orthopedic doctors and I tend research each type of doctor before I see them except for my knee where I was in emergency room after car accident. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, gobillsinytown said:

I've been watching some of the 90's games lately..........I'm not sure tough really adequately describes him considering how QB's were getting hit then, and especially him with the way he held on the the ball.  I guess we took it for granted then, but watching some of those plays now I'm amazed that he was even able get back up.  I don't think he feels pain the way us regular human beings do, lol  

I still remember the game in November '93 against the Colts when Jimbo got absolutely flattened right at the two-minute warning before halftime.  I'm pretty sure there was no flag.  He weaved unsteadily off the field, then came back out and on his first play back double-pumped and hit Billy Brooks in the end zone for a 23-yard TD.  After the game when the reporters asked him about the sequence, he admitted that he couldn't feel the entire right half of his body during the play - and that was the half that threw the pass.  This was like a regular thing for him.  Quarterbacks just don't get hit like that anymore, and if they do (a) it's a 15-yard penalty and (b) they aren't even allowed back in the game.  And I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing -- it's good for the league to keep quarterbacks healthy.  But the fact that we have to go all the way back 20+ years to think of a similar hit on Brady tells you all you need to know about how tough Kelly was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/27/2021 at 8:56 PM, buffaloaggie said:

Have to say, this is the first ankle replacement that I've ever heard about. Knee, Hip, sure. Hope he gets well soon!

Kelly.jpg

We can rebuild him we can make him better ! Maybe Jimbo is motivated for a come back .😂

On 7/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, buffaloaggie said:

Have to say, this is the first ankle replacement that I've ever heard about. Knee, Hip, sure. Hope he gets well soon!

Kelly.jpg

From the article which sometimes you can only see via Google when block software is active:

Kelly, 61, was walking with a bit of a limp at his annual football camp July 19 at Highmark Stadium. 

The initial surgery to insert a titanium replacement in his right ankle, necessitated by two decades of football wear and tear, didn't work out so well. Kelly, who has faced multiple bouts with cancer and the resulting surgeries, had to go through the agonizing process of getting another new ankle.

So this surgery was done before since he was walking on it.

60ef38f8868cc.image.jpg

Edited by Limeaid

• 5 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.