Zach Wilson no show at Jets' camp UPDATE: SIGNED

7 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I do think the Jest are a relatively cash-strapped team.  If not, then they have orders from on-high to behave as such.

A silver lining for the NFL at large, is that the league can use this as evidence that there is no collusion in the NFL.  Just because one team (or 31) do something, doesnt mean that everybody else follows.  In fact, we have teams trying to put toothpaste back into tubes (to counteract any potentially precedent setting moves by clubs).  Best I can do.  Otherwise, Jests is just Jesting, as usual.  Thank god.

All NFL teams are a cash cow because of the TV contract. I doubt a big market team like the Jets who sellout their home games are cash strapped. The Johnson's are just cheap owners.

yes, but i'm not just talking about current income.  The bonus spread is a consideration.  The bonus doesnt come out of this year's cap, its amortized.  But I have to pay it all either now, or in the future, or in installments. 

If I dont have enuf in the bank to pay you $22MM by writing you a check today, it doesnt matter how much I'm likely to make between now and this date next year.  The owner might have to cough up the cash out of his own pocket, not just from the Team bank account.  Especially if the team is paying multiple signing bonuses in one year.  Or especially if the owner has to liquidate assets to cover it.

Pegula can afford it.  Shad Khan can.  Mark Davis, notsomuch.  I'm saying maybe the Jests ownership notsomuch.

Edited by maddenboy

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

After Wilson's 1st practice today, Joe Douglas was overheard asking, "Can you un-sign a player? Is there like a 3 day rule or something?"

Wilson is such a baby face that he signed his contract on an etch a sketch anyways

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I do think the Jest are a relatively cash-strapped team.  If not, then they have orders from on-high to behave as such.

A silver lining for the NFL at large, is that the league can use this as evidence that there is no collusion in the NFL.  Just because one team (or 31) do something, doesnt mean that everybody else follows.  In fact, we have teams trying to put toothpaste back into tubes (to counteract any potentially precedent setting moves by clubs).  Best I can do.  Otherwise, Jests is just Jesting, as usual.  Thank god.

Even after they paid Wilson his signing bonus the Jets cash out of pocket this year is the lowest in the AFC East.  FWIW.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cash/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Even after they paid Wilson his signing bonus the Jets cash out of pocket this year is the lowest in the AFC East.  FWIW.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cash/

but i dont think they've paid it yet.  I think they agreed to pay it within 15 days or 30 days or something waaaaay sooner than 2022.  Does sportrac already count it.

And I still think its amortized, so the Jests' books should reflect 1/5 of the bonus, more or less depending on accounting.

And still, there's a difference between the Jests' bank account and the Owner's bank account.  Just because the $22MM (or even 1/5 of it) counts against the Jests' books, doesnt mean that's where the whole $22MM cash paid-in-full is coming from.

Pegula can afford it.  Shad Khan can.  Mark Davis, notsomuch.  I'm saying maybe the Jests ownership notsomuch.

Edited by maddenboy

7 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

but i dont think they've paid it yet.  I think they agreed to pay it within 15 days or 30 days or something waaaaay sooner than 2022.  Does sportrac already count it.

And I still think its amortized, so the Jests' books should reflect 1/5 of the bonus, more or less depending on accounting.

And still, there's a difference between the Jests' bank account and the Owner's bank account.  Just because the $22MM counts against the Jests' books, doesnt mean that's where the cash is coming from.

Yes it's on Spotrac's books already.  Signing bonus amortization is for cap hits not for cash.

NY Jets books are their books not the owners that is true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cash/

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:17 AM, jeremy2020 said:

After Wilson's 1st practice today, Joe Douglas was overheard asking, "Can you un-sign a player? Is there like a 3 day rule or something?"

Man if that’s true and if Douglas was referring to Wilson and if that gets back to Wilson, if I were him I would be calling my agent and seeing if I can find a way to pull an Eli Manning and get the hell out of dodge. 

• Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You would think after watching what Josh Allen became, the Jets would have taken Lance instead of a Darnold Clone 

I know it’s only one practice game but calling him a poor mans Darnold or a Darnold clone is kind of an insult to Darnold himself lol. I laughed my ass off when the Jets took him. They even reported he wasn’t NFL ready let alone not being worth a first round pick. I’d say this kid might be Paxton lynch & EJ Manuel 2.0

Edited by BuffaloBills1998