Zach Wilson no show at Jets' camp UPDATE: SIGNED

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You wouldn't believe how deeply his agent and lawyers are reading the contract regarding Gase as a consultant.  Johnson still maintains Gase is a genius.

He might be. Many highly intelligent people (genius?) aren't all that great at managing people. Perhaps using him as a resource for ideas, but without direct contact with players, will work.

I doubt it, but it is possible, I suppose

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, eball said:

I love to pile on the Jests as much as anyone but who thinks this is a big deal?  There's probably some offset language or some other b.s. Wilson's agent is insisting be adjusted, but losing a day or two of reps isn't going to make or break this kid's rookie season.

Simply being a Jet will ruin this kid's season, if not career.

I mean it's a bit of a deal, they should be taking advantage of their time as much as possible.

Mostly though it's just further evidence of the Jets continued pursuit of incompetence.

35 minutes ago, dneveu said:

It's so dumb - it only really factors in year 4 if he's a disaster in years 1-3.  Then you'd cut him in year 4 and he could double dip.  But if you're cutting him, how much is he possibly double dipping?  

It also looks bad since it clearly states you do not trust your teams ability to draft. If he is gonna be top 5 good why worry?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

But what about the Bosa precedent? Offset language and bonus payout seem to be the issues that can cause impasses: 

https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/8/12402198/joey-bosa-contract-holdout-san-diego-chargers-why .  I'm not saying this won't work itself out quickly. Given that he's a qb, he really needs to be at camp, and the Jets need a qb. It doesn't make sense to drag out. 

Considering number of QBs which fizzle out in NFL and the amount they impact on salary cap even if they are cut/traded early like Rosen this is a valid concern since this is a learning year not a playoff year.

Maybe he is thinking this team is the death of QBs and maybe I want to sit out a year and apply to draft again.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Maybe he is thinking this team is the death of QBs and maybe I want to sit out a year and apply to draft again.

Immensely unlikely.

Same thing happened with Darnold and others.

Jets and their top picks seem to have issues with bonus payouts and other last minute minute details.

I'm sure it will get done quickly and he'll be in camp really soon.

56 minutes ago, eball said:

I love to pile on the Jests as much as anyone but who thinks this is a big deal?  There's probably some offset language or some other b.s. Wilson's agent is insisting be adjusted, but losing a day or two of reps isn't going to make or break this kid's rookie season.

Simply being a Jet will ruin this kid's season, if not career.

It sends a bad message - we are not sure you are the QB of the future so when we cut you we want the offset clause to minimize the impact.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

It sends a bad message - we are not sure you are the QB of the future so when we cut you we want the offset clause to minimize the impact.

It greatly sends a message to player - this is how your agent is going to affect your career.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Yeah, idk about that. He's a got a bit of Rodgers to his game if you watch the tape. Quick release, different arm angles, buys time with his legs behind the LOS, and he's got more than enough arm strength. Even his incompletions weren't off in a lot of instances. I hope he doesn't pan out for NY, but it's likely he could be a solid starter for them if not more.  

Can't disagree with anything you said, he just looks small to me, I don't know if he is going to hold up to the pounding he is going to take. I look at QBs like Allen and herbert and wilson looks like a little kid compared to them.   He also looks like a pretty boy d bag, I don't know, something really rubs me the wrong way about him.  I think he will be a bust.  Time will tell though I guess.  

6 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Can't disagree with anything you said, he just looks small to me, I don't know if he is going to hold up to the pounding he is going to take. I look at QBs like Allen and herbert and wilson looks like a little kid compared to them.   He also looks like a pretty boy d bag, I don't know, something really rubs me the wrong way about him.  I think he will be a bust.  Time will tell though I guess.  

Yeah, he's definitely light. I think they said he only played around 200lbs while at BYU. He's like the Tutu Atwell of QB's. 

Just more evidence to support the fact that the Jets are a dysfunctional franchise. I mean, with the way the CBA is set up, it’s established already as far as how much each player will get paid, so the Jets are digging their heels in over petty nuances.

Meanwhile Wilson is missing out on much needed snaps with the first string offense. I dislike the Jets, not just because I’m a Bills fan but because that organization is filled with terrible people, starting with their owner Woody Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Just more evidence to support the fact that the Jets are a dysfunctional franchise. I mean, with the way the CBA is set up, it’s established already as far as how much each player will get paid, so the Jets are digging their heels in over petty nuances.

Meanwhile Wilson is missing out on much needed snaps with the first string offense. I dislike the Jets, not just because I’m a Bills fan but because that organization is filled with terrible people, starting with their owner Woody Johnson.

For sure.  Are the Jets really scared that the 2nd overall pick will be so bad they will have to cut him?

Some team will take on his contract minus the guaranteed signing money.  Trevor's contract has no offsets.

It's stupid and shows a degree of faithlessness in Wilson.  I mean the kid just took a punch in the mouth after his "go to guy" just died

in a tragic accident.  Now he has to sit at home and wait for this stuff to clear up when he should be with his team.

Jets are gonna Jets!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm thinking 3 things. 

1)  agents for Zac at #2 and Trey Lance at #3 want to wait for the other to go first so the agent doesnt give recruiting ammo to his competitors.  This sounds like a leadership issue for the QB, not knowing that the QB is the boss of the relationship, or not acting like it.  I'm guessing Trevor Lawrence told his agent to get it done instead of quibbling.  Maybe this even went into Lawrence's selection of agents.

[1A), the longer Zac and Trey miss time, the more excuse they have for eventual suckitude.  Related to leadership and confidence lacking]

2)  Since the deals at 2 and 3 are slotted wrt dollars, both QBs already have plenty of cash.  As long as insured while they wait, any bank would be happy to lend them millions while they wait to sign deals.  Agent has probably had this lined up for months.

3)  J-E-T-S probably have slim cash and cash-flow compared to other teams/owners.  Cheap/broke teams are more likely to haggle over offsets, bonus payouts, and other money issues.  As stated upthread, J-E-T-S also did this with Darnold.  Shad Khan aint got these problems.

Edited by maddenboy