Tate Martell - 9 years in College. 2 years left.

DrDawkinstein

This is being discussed on Reddit, thought it was a good topic since this schmo has played for a bunch of teams that get talked about here.

On this date 9 years ago Tate Martell committed to Steve Sarkisian and the University of Washington. He still has 2 years of eligibility left.

Here's the timeline so far.

• Committed to Washington in 2012
  • Changed commitment to Texas A&M in 2015
  • Changed commitment again to Ohio State 2016
  • Redshirted 2017 for Ohio State
  • 2018 played as a backup for Ohio State
  • 2019 announced he was transferring from Ohio State to Miami
  • After transferring he lost the starting job
  • 2020 he opted out
  • 2021 he transferred to UNLV

Not even including the year his parents kept him out of school in Junior High to make him an "older kid" and to maneuver prospect classes. Dude is going to be 30 and at the Combine.

Also, seems very spoiled and punchable. Thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He won’t be at the combine lol

Which is the craziest part. All this maneuvering since he was 10 years old, only to end up with barely a college career and no NFL career.

Kinda reminds me of Todd Marinovich, except he actually had a college career and was drafted.

I guess once you start holding out your Middle School-aged kid and having them sit home for a year, you're already on a bad path (although it seems to have worked for Justin Fields, and I also learned Jimmy Clausen was 20 when he graduated High School).

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Which is the craziest part. All this maneuvering since he was 10 years old, only to end up with barely a college career and no NFL career.

Kinda reminds me of Todd Marinovich, except he actually had a college career and was drafted.

I guess once you start holding out your Middle School-aged kid and having them sit home for a year, you're already on a bad path (although it seems to have worked for Justin Fields, and I also learned Jimmy Clausen was 20 when he graduated High School).

Going back to Vegas was the best thing for him simply from an NIL standpoint. He’s a bit of an Instagram celeb, not much a football player. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

To borrow and modify a line from the movie Tommy Boy. A lot of people go to school for 9 years…They are called doctors…

He didn't either. Committing isn't enrolling.  In 2012 he committed to UW while he was still in high school. It was a verbal non-binding commit because you can't formally commit as a freshman in high school.  Then in 2015 changed that commit while he was a junior in high school, then changed it a final time in 2016 for the formal commit to Ohio State. That sort of thing happens all the time, maybe not three times, but it's why you have to take all these verbal commitments you hear about with a giant grain of salt. They don't mean anything to either side. The kid can change his mind and the school can revoke their verbal offer. Paperwork isn't signed until senior year.

So then he goes to Ohio State as a freshman in 2017 and redshirts, again, normal, especially at a strong program. Fine. 2018 he plays as a redshirt freshman, that's eligibility year number 1. 2019 he figures out he is stuck behind people and isn't going to see the field so he transfers and plays as a redshirt sophomore, eligibility year 2 done. 2020 he opts out like a lot of people and the NCAA decides not to ding anyone with a year of eligibility. 2021 he is told again that he isn't going to play so he transfers to UNLV, this will be eligibility year #3. He has this year and next left so at a max it would be 6 years.  Think of the COVID year as an injury year where he applied to the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility and got it, that happens not infrequently also. So he will start college in 2017 and finish in 2023. Granted, not standard, but it's not 9 years. He will be 25 when he finishes.  Yes that's old for a football player to finish school, NCAA hockey players are FREQUENTLY 24 when they finish school because they spend a year or two playing junior hockey after high school, either in the US or in the lower Canadian leagues, before they enroll in college and nobody gives those kids crap because it's the "normal" path to NCAA hockey.

The kid is obviously there to play football. Fine, whatever. He needs to be able to play and if transferring gets him an opportunity to play then so be it. Especially as a quarterback. Only one will play and schools collect top recruits at that position every year. Lots of those kids end up transferring out either because they are told they won't play, their scholarship gets revoked because they no longer fit into the school's plans, or both.

I concede that this is a bit more than what is normal but I don't remember a lot of people giving Justin Fields grief recently for decommitting from Penn State to Georgia then transferring to Ohio State when he didn't win the Georgia job and then leaving Ohio State early to go to the NFL. It's not different, it just worked out for Fields and didn't work out for this other kid.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

He didn't either. Committing isn't enrolling.  In 2012 he committed to UW while he was still in high school. It was a verbal non-binding commit because you can't formally commit as a freshman in high school.  Then in 2015 changed that commit while he was a junior in high school, then changed it a final time in 2016 for the formal commit to Ohio State. That sort of thing happens all the time, maybe not three times, but it's why you have to take all these verbal commitments you hear about with a giant grain of salt. They don't mean anything to either side. The kid can change his mind and the school can revoke their verbal offer. Paperwork isn't signed until senior year.

So then he goes to Ohio State as a freshman in 2017 and redshirts, again, normal, especially at a strong program. Fine. 2018 he plays as a redshirt freshman, that's eligibility year number 1. 2019 he figures out he is stuck behind people and isn't going to see the field so he transfers and plays as a redshirt sophomore, eligibility year 2 done. 2020 he opts out like a lot of people and the NCAA decides not to ding anyone with a year of eligibility. 2021 he is told again that he isn't going to play so he transfers to UNLV, this will be eligibility year #3. He has this year and next left so at a max it would be 6 years.  Think of the COVID year as an injury year where he applied to the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility and got it, that happens not infrequently also. So he will start college in 2017 and finish in 2023. Granted, not standard, but it's not 9 years. He will be 25 when he finishes.  Yes that's old for a football player to finish school, NCAA hockey players are FREQUENTLY 24 when they finish school because they spend a year or two playing junior hockey after high school, either in the US or in the lower Canadian leagues, before they enroll in college and nobody gives those kids crap because it's the "normal" path to NCAA hockey.

The kid is obviously there to play football. Fine, whatever. He needs to be able to play and if transferring gets him an opportunity to play then so be it. Especially as a quarterback. Only one will play and schools collect top recruits at that position every year. Lots of those kids end up transferring out either because they are told they won't play, their scholarship gets revoked because they no longer fit into the school's plans, or both.

I concede that this is a bit more than what is normal but I don't remember a lot of people giving Justin Fields grief recently for decommitting from Penn State to Georgia then transferring to Ohio State when he didn't win the Georgia job and then leaving Ohio State early to go to the NFL. It's not different, it just worked out for Fields and didn't work out for this other kid.

Thanks for the summary and additional detail. Interesting stuff.

I totally agree that players should be able to transfer however, whenever, and where ever they want. However, folks absolutely gave Fields a ton of ***** about his moving around. Especially when he left UGA for OSU. Maybe I just hear more of it being down in GA myself, but he was the poster child for everyone who wanted to complain about the transfer portal for a good year or so.

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He was suspended at Miami, left the program, was MIA, skipped practices  etc. not to mention all the stuff at Ohio state. There are so many reasons it worked out for a person/player like Justin Fields and not him … and he (and his parents) are accountable. I wish him the best in the future, hopefully he turns it around. 

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He needs to play and he's got 2 years left.  If he plays well the next two years he will get a chance somewhere. Nathan Peterman is STILL an NFL quarterback.

What this should be is a cautionary tale to high school kids looking at schools.  It's nice that these big name schools want you in their program. Who else are they bringing in to compete with you? Who else are you going to be stuck behind? Is is better to go to North Dakota State (who has had TWO top 5 QBs chosen in recent history) or Wyoming or UNLV and definitely play and get a chance to showcase yourself or risk bouncing around programs like this.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks for the summary and additional detail. Interesting stuff.

I totally agree that players should be able to transfer however, whenever, and where ever they want. However, folks absolutely gave Fields a ton of ***** about his moving around. Especially when he left UGA for OSU. Maybe I just hear more of it being down in GA myself, but he was the poster child for everyone who wanted to complain about the transfer portal for a good year or so.

Well, that's more UGA folks being butthurt that he left. I didn't hear anything leading up to this draft.  It was sort of like Terelle Pryor. Nobody was pissed that he decommitted from Penn State to go to OSU, except Penn State fans.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was suspended at Miami, left the program, was MIA, skipped practices  etc. not to mention all the stuff at Ohio state. There are so many reasons it worked out for a person/player like Justin Fields and not him … and he (and his parents) are accountable. I wish him the best in the future, hopefully he turns it around. 

I'm not saying he's not a large part of this issue, but to make it sound like he's been in college for 9 years and will finish as a 30 year old isn't accurate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He needs to play and he's got 2 years left.  If he plays well the next two years he will get a chance somewhere. Nathan Peterman is STILL an NFL quarterback.

What this should be is a cautionary tale to high school kids looking at schools.  It's nice that these big name schools want you in their program. Who else are they bringing in to compete with you? Who else are you going to be stuck behind? Is is better to go to North Dakota State (who has had TWO top 5 QBs chosen in recent history) or Wyoming or UNLV and definitely play and get a chance to showcase yourself or risk bouncing around programs like this.

Well, that's more UGA folks being butthurt that he left. I didn't hear anything leading up to this draft.  It was sort of like Terelle Pryor. Nobody was pissed that he decommitted from Penn State to go to OSU, except Penn State fans.

I'm not saying he's not a large part of this issue, but to make it sound like he's been in college for 9 years and will finish as a 30 year old isn't accurate.

Right, that’s not accurate. I have no issue with kids decommitting and/or using the portal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Say Whatever you want 

But the kid absolutely got paid to go to school... And he received a free education 

Can't beat that

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:57 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

This is being discussed on Reddit, thought it was a good topic since this schmo has played for a bunch of teams that get talked about here.

On this date 9 years ago Tate Martell committed to Steve Sarkisian and the University of Washington. He still has 2 years of eligibility left.

Here's the timeline so far.

• Committed to Washington in 2012
  • Changed commitment to Texas A&M in 2015
  • Changed commitment again to Ohio State 2016
  • Redshirted 2017 for Ohio State
  • 2018 played as a backup for Ohio State
  • 2019 announced he was transferring from Ohio State to Miami
  • After transferring he lost the starting job
  • 2020 he opted out
  • 2021 he transferred to UNLV

Not even including the year his parents kept him out of school in Junior High to make him an "older kid" and to maneuver prospect classes. Dude is going to be 30 and at the Combine.

Also, seems very spoiled and punchable. Thoughts?

Been waiting for that college money to open up knowing he cant make it in the NFL

On 7/28/2021 at 8:50 PM, Beast said:

You should be able to play college football as long as you want as long as you haven't played professionally.

Might happen more know that money is being made.

• 5 weeks later...

There was a funny (yet also sad) exchange about Nick Starkel, who was an A&M QB, when Martell was being first recruited. Martell talked a good game, but A&M's new OC preferred a taller QB, so 5'11" Martel was ignored by the OC, leading to his decommit from A&M.

Circle October 21st. UNLV hosts San Jose State, where Starkel currently is. Martell has a bum thumb, so hopefully he's recovered and ready for the showdown.

Starkel is another QB with long transfer history

2015 - Committed to Oklahoma State

2016 - Decommit from OSU to sign with A&M (Redshirted)

2018 - Beaten out by Kellen Mond, transfers to Arkansas

2019 - Throws 5 INTs in an upset loss to San Jose State, loses starting job at Arkansas

2020 - Transfers to San Jose State (I guess because he was good at throwing to San Jose State players)

2021 - Finally entering Senior season with SJSU

martell.webp

Edited by buffaloaggie
Changed wrong dates

Saw the Tate Martell post... if there is a poster boy (not man) for entitled it is this clown. He tried to talk crap about Fields at Ohio State, and now look at them... Fields will be a starting NFL QB while Martell will be well on his way to being a car salesman somewhere...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

11 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Saw the Tate Martell post... if there is a poster boy (not man) for entitled it is this clown. He tried to talk crap about Fields at Ohio State, and now look at them... Fields will be a starting NFL QB while Martell will be well on his way to being a car salesman somewhere...

He would have his mommy sell the cars for him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.