Can you see Toronto

Ice bowl 67

I wasn't going to comment in here, but....Oh well.

The standard formula for line of sight, which solves at what distance one can see things at the same level and not be impeded by the earth's curvature is:

1.22 times the square route of altitude.

It's what is used in strike planning to avoid radar detection.

If comparing two items at different elevations, such as when determining if the top of two buildings can be seen by each other is:

D (distance)= (square route of 2h) + (square route of 2a). Expressed in statute miles.

h is the object which is "looking" at expressed in feet.

a is the object you are trying to look at expressed in feet.

D is expressed in statue miles, height of h and a in feet.

Earth elevation differences should be taken into account as well.

Further reduced, this formula is:

D= 1.414 x ( square route of h) + (square route of a).

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not same line of sight.  NF is far west.  Rochester is far east.  But Rochester is "Beyond" NF.  NF is closer. Buildings appear bigger on the horizon.   Beyond to the horizon. 

Quite aware as to directional relationships of the cited locations.

14 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I wasn't going to comment in here, but....Oh well.

The standard formula for line of sight, which solves at what distance one can see things at the same level and not be impeded by the earth's curvature is:

1.22 times the square route of altitude.

It's what is used in strike planning to avoid radar detection.

If comparing two items at different elevations, such as when determining if the top of two buildings can be seen by each other is:

D (distance)= (square route of 2h) + (square route of 2a). Expressed in statute miles.

h is the object which is "looking" at expressed in feet.

a is the object you are trying to look at expressed in feet.

D is expressed in statue miles, height of h and a in feet.

Earth elevation differences should be taken into account as well.

Further reduced, this formula is:

D= 1.414 x ( square route of h) + (square route of a).

Thnx.

WNY from the Southern Tier looking north is all downhill.

From Chestnut Ridge, you can clearly see the top of the Bills Fieldhouse and the OLV Basilica.

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Quite aware as to directional relationships of the cited locations.

Yes.  I thought you were questioning me.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's way too close.  The buildings are faint, tall and beyond N.Falls.  Tree foliage down.  Clear day.

Niagara Falls north of Chestnut Ridge!!  Which way are you looking oh wise maritime man? Are you confusing Toronto with Rochester?

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Far right, east... Group of tall buildings on horizon at tree line.   What else can it be?  Nothing else is out there.

Maybe Lockport? It would be in the area you described. 

Pull up the hill and toboggan chutes on Google maps. Rochester is almost behind where you would be looking if you were on there. Even in the winter the trees block the view to that area and theyre taller than the toboggan chutes.  Maybe there's another area of the park I don't know about. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

45 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Niagara Falls north of Chestnut Ridge!!  Which way are you looking oh wise maritime man? Are you confusing Toronto with Rochester?

No.  I am talking about Rochester.  Sorry I wasn't clear with that post, was alluding to my earlier posts.

46 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Maybe Lockport? It would be in the area you described. 

Pull up the hill and toboggan chutes on Google maps. Rochester is almost behind where you would be looking if you were on there. Even in the winter the trees block the view to that area and theyre taller than the toboggan chutes.  Maybe there's another area of the park I don't know about. 

Nope.  Lockport would be further west and closer. That's seen...  This is so far east on horizon and tree line.

But back to thread title... Unless You're up in a tall building,  I don't think you can see Toronto from Buffalo...

NOW in the 1800s... People could hear the roar of The Falls.  There is story of the time The Falls stopped because of an ice jam on the river.   All the farmers in area rushed to The Falls to see what was happening... Because the area got really quiet!

The Day Niagara Falls Stopped, Went Dry:

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/fallsstopped.html

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thnx.

WNY from the Southern Tier looking north is all downhill.

From Chestnut Ridge, you can clearly see the top of the Bills Fieldhouse and the OLV Basilica.

Yes.  I thought you were questioning me.

We can see the Bills field house while sitting on a boat on the lake west of Athol Springs.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We can see the Bills field house while sitting on a boat on the lake west of Athol Springs.

Very prominent from the pier close to where the Palmwood Hotel was in Crystal Beach as well. 
Another amazing view is westbound on New York State route 39 as you descend from the hills.  On a clear day you can see the Canadian shore including Nanticoke and all the way east past Port Colborne.  There are also a few roads running east-west in southern Erie County that you get a good view of the city of Buffalo.  It's been so many years since I was out that way, I have long since forgotten their names.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Very prominent from the pier close to where the Palmwood Hotel was in Crystal Beach as well. 
Another amazing view is westbound on New York State route 39 as you descend from the hills.  On a clear day you can see the Canadian shore including Nanticoke and all the way east past Port Colborne.  There are also a few roads running east-west in southern Erie County that you get a good view of the city of Buffalo.  It's been so many years since I was out that way, I have long since forgotten their names.

Three east-west escarpments run through WNY.  

1. Niagara 

Lesser known ones:

2. Onondaga (Notice the rock outcroppings along Main Street/Route 5... Kensington Expressway)

3. Portage 

It's all downhill from the Southern Tier to Lake Ontario.

Toronto no, but pretty sure you can see Hamilton from Route 20 in Chautauqua County, Sheridan/Silver Creek area. It has some elevation and you can see a ton of concentrated city-like lights across the lake.

Plus a drunk uncle told me that when I was like 9, so I've always believed it even if it's horribly incorrect, and now I'm passing that beer soaked 80's geography on to this thread.

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

Toronto no, but pretty sure you can see Hamilton from Route 20 in Chautauqua County, Sheridan/Silver Creek area. It has some elevation and you can see a ton of concentrated city-like lights across the lake.

Plus a drunk uncle told me that when I was like 9, so I've always believed it even if it's horribly incorrect, and now I'm passing that beer soaked 80's geography on to this thread.

Hamilton?  Doubtful.  It's at the extreme western end of Lake Ontario. What you might be seeing is Nanticoke, and what is known as U.S.Steel's Lake Erie Works.  There used to be close by two prominent smoke stacks that were part of Ontario Hydro's coal burning electricity generating plant.  They were demolished within the last few years.

Just west of Fonthill Ontario there is stretch of high ground that I believe is attributed to glaciers pushing up till during the last glacial advance.  In the area of Confederation Secondary School and Peninsula Lakes Golf Course, you can see all the way south across Lake Erie to the high ground of southern New York and Pennsylvania, as well as north across Lake Ontario to Toronto.

19 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hamilton?  Doubtful.  It's at the extreme western end of Lake Ontario. What you might be seeing is Nanticoke, and what is known as U.S.Steel's Lake Erie Works.  There used to be close by two prominent smoke stacks that were part of Ontario Hydro's coal burning electricity generating plant.  They were demolished within the last few years.

Just west of Fonthill Ontario there is stretch of high ground that I believe is attributed to glaciers pushing up till during the last glacial advance.  In the area of Confederation Secondary School and Peninsula Lakes Golf Course, you can see all the way south across Lake Erie to the high ground of southern New York and Pennsylvania, as well as north across Lake Ontario to Toronto.

Wow you might be right and you certainly sound like you know a heck of a lot more than drunk pre search engines ramblings from 35 years ago. I vaguely feel like I remember the smoke stacks so that might be it!

I haven't been in the area for 20 years, but for the two people that may be curious, I pulled up a map and was wrong when I said Route 20. It's actually Route 39, and I'm speaking specifically of the view across Lake Erie just as you come out of Forestville heading west, about a mile or so past "Sheridan HIll". It's pretty high up by Western NY standards and you can definitely see something. 

Edited by Nelius

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.