Tesla Owners - I'm debating one as my next car

Virgil

Tesla build quality, fit and finish, and overall quality of materials is junky and pedestrian.

Most car guys I know, like myself, do not like them primarily for that reason.

At that price point, you can get much nicer things from other manufacturers.

It's also worth noting that the current electric fad is not the path forward, long term.  That will be hydrogen power.  

I don't understand the electric fascination with current battery technology limitations, which are pretty severe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Tesla build quality, fit and finish, and overall quality of materials is junky and pedestrian.

It's also worth noting that the current electric fad is not the path forward, long term.  That will be hydrogen power.  

I don't understand the electric fascination with current battery technology limitations, which are pretty severe.

Do you mean better materials from other companies producing EVs? 
i purchased a Tesla because I could afford it and there is no scheduled maintenance save brakes/tires. And less maintenance on brakes due due to regenerative braking. It’s also fun and can crush any muscle car off a stoplight. 

Hydrogen fuel is a great idea but I cannot wait 10 years to purchase a vehicle. Nikola is having a heck of a time producing their vehicle.

Current battery technology is being quickly updated and Tesla is purchasing those patents and/or already collaborating with those organizations. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2021/05/04/tesla-taps-tiny-startups-tech-to-build-cheaper-cleaner-batteries/amp/

On 7/27/2021 at 1:14 PM, Nextmanup said:

Hydrogen ain’t happening. 

I have the hesitancy re build quality on the Tesla. Mach-e build seems better but the DC fast charging network sucks so far. 

My wife has a bolt. Great under the radar EV car. Good range at 275. Use it for anything within 2 hours of home, which is 95% of our trips. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr Info said:

That may no longer be an issue as Tesla opening their superchargers to other EVs: https://apple.news/A9FyYHrOHT1S_1Z9IyEEA6Q

We'll see. They may open them for some L2 charging but it's unlikely anything more than that. And if he means that others can start to use (somehow) the higher output of the chargers, there will be a game of catchup for cars to access that.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Our next car purchase will be a Model Y. Likely next year unless we can really stretch more time out of my wife's Corolla.

No need for an X or S unless you just have a ton of cash to burn.

My 2010 has 120k miles and another 100k left to go!!!

love the thing. Never put a dime past general maintenance into it. 

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Went and visiting the Tesla dealership Saturday.   That was a mistake. 

I want the Y and think I’ll get one by next June.  I didn’t even get a chance to test drive it and still fell in love. 

Never even sat in one but I want one.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, Mr Info said:

Do you mean better materials from other companies producing EVs? 
i purchased a Tesla because I could afford it and there is no scheduled maintenance save brakes/tires. And less maintenance on brakes due due to regenerative braking. It’s also fun and can crush any muscle car off a stoplight. 

Hydrogen fuel is a great idea but I cannot wait 10 years to purchase a vehicle. Nikola is having a heck of a time producing their vehicle.

Current battery technology is being quickly updated and Tesla is purchasing those patents and/or already collaborating with those organizations. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2021/05/04/tesla-taps-tiny-startups-tech-to-build-cheaper-cleaner-batteries/amp/

Nikola is a complete fraud and their founder is now the target of a massive lawsuit.  Nikola owns nothing in the way of IP.

According to Elon, hydrogen tech is a dead end.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Nikola is a complete fraud and their founder is now the target of a massive lawsuit.  Nikola owns nothing in the way of IP.

According to Elon, hydrogen tech is a dead end.  

Yeah, but other that that…….….

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Went and visiting the Tesla dealership Saturday.   That was a mistake. 

I want the Y and think I’ll get one by next June.  I didn’t even get a chance to test drive it and still fell in love. 

I test drove the Y in May. I took a 20 minute test drive (they told me to drive to a place and back). 

I used the Autopilot (this had FSD) at every road it would allow. It was awesome. More cautious than I'd have been but to not have to engage that part of the brain really is relaxing. It's not fully autonomous but it's more like cruise control for the steering wheel. You have to be there to make sure if it screws up but really, it doesn't screw up. 

The ride is rough. If you're looking for a smooth ride, this isn't it. I have had and still have a sportier car so that doesn't bother me but in a car that is not performance, I hoped for a little more cradling. 

The interior is a matter of taste. I love it. Others want more stuff. I mean, man, the thing is minimal.

I like the exterior. I would like the Model 3 more if it had a hatch as I don't need more space but a hatch is really helpful for my life. 

The only thing holding me back (OK...price is holding me back too) is reliability. They suck donkey ***** on reliability. The Tesla-hypnotized never complain about it but if you go to any forum, or read Consumer Reports, the problems are legion. 

My wife has the electric Chevy Bolt. It's fantastic. Not as sexy as the Tesla but a really good and affordable under the radar EV car. Biggest downside: No fast charging network so you really can't use it for long trips. When that's fixed, the Mustang Mach-e, VW ID.4, and others become actual Tesla competitors. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.