Tesla Owners - I'm debating one as my next car

Virgil

I just paid off my Jeep and plan to keep it for at least another year or two, or until something serious goes wrong with it.  This is about the time I start shopping for my next vehicle.  Vanity is a large part of my decision making process and I like to upgrade my cars each time.  However, I also am a slob who has terrible luck having stones fly off the road to chip my paint of windshield.

With that, I'm very intrigued by the Tesla's.  I was looking at the X due to the DeLorean doors and 7 seats.  However, those come in around 100k, which is insane to me.  I recently discovered the Model Y, which gives similar features and is around 60k (Still a lot, but doable).  I like that it will make it from Baltimore to Rochester in a single charge.  Yes, I won't pay for gas, but even at 4.5k a year for gas, that still doesn't cover the difference between a Tesla and mid-range car price.  I do see their resell value is insane!

With that, if you have one, convince me to get one or not to.  If you don't have a Tesla, I'm sorry but I'm not interested in your theory. 

https://www.tesla.com/modely

14 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Very interesting and exactly the kind of information I want.  I'm wondering how many of those were at Tesla repair shops vs regular shops.  I also wonder what they will do to your insurance rates

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have the S and love it. I don’t like the 3 or Y because of the lack of a dashboard but if you don’t have a problem with it I would recommend getting one.

I really want the option of 7 seats, which is the main reason I'm looking at the Y.  I also don't want anything too low to the ground.  After having a Jeep, I like being higher up. 

What would you say are your top 3 loves about having a Tesla?

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I really want the option of 7 seats, which is the main reason I'm looking at the Y.  I also don't want anything too low to the ground.  After having a Jeep, I like being higher up. 

What would you say are your top 3 loves about having a Tesla?

1.  Being able to charge overnight at home

2.  (Limited) self driving with full self driving coming soon

3.  It is constantly improving itself via over the air updates

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

1.  Being able to charge overnight at home

2.  (Limited) self driving with full self driving coming soon

3.  It is constantly improving itself via over the air updates

I've wondered about that.  Do those who bought a Tesla in 2019 envy those with the same model in 2021 or do the updates cover that?

I picked up a Y last year. Most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Comfortable, fun driving, nice looking. I live in Central VA and just drove it the 2nd time up to Buf. 2 supercharger stops, 1 in Gettysburg and the other near Corning. Superchargers have been strategically located near retail establishments such as Sheetz, Panera, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Pull in & plug in and go to the restroom, get a drink or snack & stretch my legs. 20-25 mins later I take off. Stops are usually after 3.5-4 hrs of driving which works out well for me for breaks. 
Fortunately, they are free L2 chargers within walking distance of my house so I am not paying anything for charging unless I am on long trips and supercharging.

Imo, the Y would be small for 7 seats. You may want to consider the X. I believe an update later this year for that model. 
Feel free to ask more questions or IM. Some slick things: Sentry mode for security scanning by Tesla car cameras when parked, Pet/Child mode to keep interior comfortable when you are away briefly, over the air updates to fix or improve the car. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I've wondered about that.  Do those who bought a Tesla in 2019 envy those with the same model in 2021 or do the updates cover that?

The updates only affect the software.  But there’s no need to be envious of a later model Tesla than there is any other car.

36 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

I picked up a Y last year. Most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Comfortable, fun driving, nice looking. I live in Central VA and just drove it the 2nd time up to Buf. 2 supercharger stops, 1 in Gettysburg and the other near Corning. Superchargers have been strategically located near retail establishments such as Sheetz, Panera, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Pull in & plug in and go to the restroom, get a drink or snack & stretch my legs. 20-25 mins later I take off. Stops are usually after 3.5-4 hrs of driving which works out well for me for breaks. 
Fortunately, they are free L2 chargers within walking distance of my house so I am not paying anything for charging unless I am on long trips and supercharging.

Imo, the Y would be small for 7 seats. You may want to consider the X. I believe an update later this year for that model. 
Feel free to ask more questions or IM. Some slick things: Sentry mode for security scanning by Tesla car cameras when parked, Pet/Child mode to keep interior comfortable when you are away briefly, over the air updates to fix or improve the car. 

Quick question.  Did you choose to stop twice?  I'm asking because they get roughly 300 miles per charge and I'm trying to understand if that's a BS stat or not

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Quick question.  Did you choose to stop twice?  I'm asking because they get roughly 300 miles per charge and I'm trying to understand if that's a BS stat or not

That was what I chose based on route planner (ABRP or Tesla) app. I would say it’s more interactive in determining stops. There are 1k superchargers across the US. I try to plan my stops after 3-4 hrs of driving. The Y long distance I have has 320 mile range. But you do not drive it down to 0 just like you do not drive an ICE until gas is empty. I usually have 40-80 miles left in battery when I stop. 

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The range is based on going 65 mph and not turning on the heater or AC. So IOW, ymmv. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The range is based on going 65 mph and not turning on the heater or AC. So IOW, ymmv. 

The outside temp certainly has an impact on mileage range. The colder the outside temp, the more range is decreased. The EPA range was calculated in optimal conditions (flat surface, ~75 degrees so thst neither AC or heater is on) just like other cars.

Here’s a pic of my Y. Painted the rims to match the matte black on rest of car. Upgraded the calipers. Photo after PPF and ceramic coating were applied.

E3CCE29A-663E-4478-99E3-BB53F70B3ED6.jpg

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 5

Few friends have them. They all say buy a model X or S don't waste your time or money on the others. There's some really stupid things that go wrong or are made wrong on the cheaper models. The one the body panels didn't fit right so it looked like it was in an accident fresh off the showroom floor. Repairs take fooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvvveeeeeerrrr

56 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Here’s a pic of my Y. Painted the rims to match the matte black on rest of car. Upgraded the calipers. Photo after PPF and ceramic coating were applied.

E3CCE29A-663E-4478-99E3-BB53F70B3ED6.jpg

That looks really nice. Not that familiar with the Y. How do you like it.(edit. Missed your post from earlier)

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

this is a great thread.  i've always been very intrigued by a tesla.  i have a friend that has the large sedan, and it's beautiful to sit inside of.  i just can't get myself to commit to an electric car yet, especially a tesla.   we have young kids, so a larger car is just easier at this point, but i hate the idea of not having a dealer in our area, (rochester).  my understanding, and i could be completely wrong, is that they have to pick it up and take it to buffalo for any service.  

the bigger question right now may be can you get one?  my wife is looking for a new car now, and there's literally nothing on the lot.  i've contacted a few dealers, and they let me know that one is on a truck is coming in, and if i want it, i have to put a deposit on it.  i haven't even had a chance to test drive the car, (my wife has) but i'm not sure if i'll have the chance before buying one.

51 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Few friends have them. They all say buy a model X or S don't waste your time or money on the others. There's some really stupid things that go wrong or are made wrong on the cheaper models. The one the body panels didn't fit right so it looked like it was in an accident fresh off the showroom floor. Repairs take fooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvvveeeeeerrrr

That looks really nice

I disagree a bit with this perspective. For Tesla, it seems their initial vehicle rollout may have QA issues(minor panel alignment, paint consistency, etc.). I waited about 6 months until they had corrected this before I ordered. When my Y was delivered at the dealer, I reviewed it with a checklist from a Tesla forum and there were only 2 very minor issues which the dealer tech immediately fixed.

Virgil - this is a great forum for Tesla buyers: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/#tesla-vehicles.47

9 minutes ago, teef said:

this is a great thread.  i've always been very intrigued by a tesla.  i have a friend that has the large sedan, and it's beautiful to sit inside of.  i just can't get myself to commit to an electric car yet, especially a tesla.   we have young kids, so a larger car is just easier at this point, but i hate the idea of not having a dealer in our area, (rochester).  my understanding, and i could be completely wrong, is that they have to pick it up and take it to buffalo for any service.  

I believe it is the other way around. There is a Tesla dealer/service center in Henrietta but none in Buffalo.

15 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

I disagree a bit with this perspective. For Tesla, it seems their initial vehicle rollout may have QA issues(minor panel alignment, paint consistency, etc.). I waited about 6 months until they had corrected this before I ordered. When my Y was delivered at the dealer, I reviewed it with a checklist from a Tesla forum and there were only 2 very minor issues which the dealer tech immediately fixed.

Virgil - this is a great forum for Tesla buyers: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/#tesla-vehicles.47

I believe it is the other way around. There is a Tesla dealer/service center in Henrietta but none in Buffalo.

oh wow.  that would actually change the perspective for me.

Adding another link to a recent tweet that Musk sent about opening up their supercharger network to other EVs. 
If you are shopping around for an EV, now you are able to access a supercharger when on long drives. Just make sure the EV’s battery has the capability of supercharging. No one wants to wait for hrs to charge their battery when on a long trip. 
My perspective for Tesla supercharging is the cost is about 2/3 the expense for gas for the same # of miles.

https://apple.news/Am-9ClVCkRuu7XJKJNhNqGQ

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.