• La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I have two questions:

1) Why no choice of “other” on the poll?

2) Anyone know if there will be a wingfest this year?

Because the poll is updated any time someone mentions an "other"

I grew up near the original Duff's, have great memories of going there and love the nostalgia, but the quality of their wings was never that great.  They are relatively small and not very meaty.  The Anchor Bar - same thing - great nostalgia - particularly because they invented the damn things - but not the greatest in size/quality.  The best I have enjoyed is Gabriel's Gate and the Cole's/Brennan's restaurants.  I have not lived in Buffalo in a very long time and have not visited in a couple of years, so my opinion and information is dated.  I have never had wings at Bar Bill, but based on what I see on this board, I would love to try them.  I also have never been inside Big Tree.  I have many adult beverages in the vicinity of their parking lot on game day.  If you are looking for great wings in Chicago, try the Wild Goose Tavern on North Lincoln in North Center - a single location neighborhood bar.  If you are in Phoenix, try Pullano's on Thunderbird and 51st Avenue (in the suburb of Glendale, near the western border of Phoenix).  As far as I know, the Wild Goose has no connection to Buffalo, but Pullano's is the home of the Phoenix Wild West Buffalo Bills Club, with Bills stuff on the walls and packed on game days.  It's more of a family atmosphere than some of the other Bills bars, which are not places to bring kids.

11 hours ago, dorquemada said:

The other think to consider is that as often as not, some local tavern is going to have fantastic wings.  Ask the locals.  For my money Duffs is better than Anchor Bar, but when I'm in Buffalo, i'll go to Lebros before either

edit:  an out of town example of this is (was) Putzy's Tavern on Yates St in Albany.  Just a local gin mill that the Albany City workers would come get liquored up at during lunch, that I used to live across the street from.  They made fantastic wings

Yes!!

Lebros is the best. 
I’ve been to 7 of the 10

places listed. 
Lebros wins. The biggest wings I’ve ever had. 
And just the right heat. They don’t try to burn your mouth. 
Surprised that Lebros not getting more love. 

18 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Yes!!

Lebros is the best. 
I’ve been to 7 of the 10

places listed. 
Lebros wins. The biggest wings I’ve ever had. 
And just the right heat. They don’t try to burn your mouth. 
Surprised that Lebros not getting more love. 

Please cast your vote then.  They only have 1

Gabriel's Gate and Duff's on Sheridan are my favorites. Grew up going to Duff's most but now I go to the Gate more. I order them hot and extra crispy. Don't like a flabby texture. The Gate's other food is better than Duff's, great potato skins and fries. 

Anchor Bar's Suicide Sauce is not traditional but really good, it has a ton of black pepper which is surprisingly fierce.

But even 7-Elevens in Buffalo, like the one on Main by Parkside Candies, have pretty good wings!

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

the crispiness of the skin is important.  But what's also important is the moistness of the meat.  If a restaurant's method to crispy skin is frying the ***** out of it, you better believe the meat will be dry.

I've tried multiple methods and finally landed on double frying.  A long (20-30 minutes), low-temp fry to gently cook the meat.  Then in the fridge overnight.  Then flash fry those little mother ***** to crispy perfection while keeping the meat moist.

The challenge that restaurants face is demand and oil temp.  The oil has to be at temp or the wings are fuct.  

Sauce quality is obviously huge .. but the AMOUNT of sauce is also key.  

Getting a dozen wings drowning in sauce is disgusting to me.  Bush League.

Bar Bill brushes/paints their sauce onto the wings.  Always the perfect amount. No puddle left when you're done.

I think the size of the wing makes a huge difference in this case the smaller the better

Voted Bar-Bill out of those choices. The way they brush on the sauce instead of shaking them keeps the wings from getting soggy and is a really unique wing presentation.

I used to think Big Tree was up there as the best too but I have heard from friends that live in OP that it has gone down hill a bit since new ownership took over.

For me though the top place I have to hit if possible every time in town for wings now over the last few years is here:

https://www.route78streetbar.com/

They have a signature wing they call Bradford style. Kind of a dry rub which I usually don't go for but these are absolutely delicious.

15 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’m glad to have the opportunity to put you in the know. It’s a Lockport institution. Let me know what you think once you check it out.

I knew about Reid's being a huge thing, did not know about that place...

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Dean said:

While I haven't been there in awhile, I always thought the Sheridan Drive location was better than the OP spot. 

Sheridan drive is by far the best duffs(even though they were very bad when I had them in 2020 hoping it was because of pandemic) and East Aurora is the better Bar Bill. 

The OP duffs has better eye candy but the product has been very inconsistent and they don't understand what "extra crispy" means. A couple times they were still pink in the middle. Maybe the cooks were too busy looking at the waitresses. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Haha (+1) 2

Yeah for me it’s Gabriel’s gate. Last time I went was a few years ago. Man I miss good wings. Can’t find a decent place in Seattle to save my life. Most places just bake them as well and that’s an insult! 

We should start one of these for pizza as well. Man I miss Buffalo pizza too…...😞

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes 

September 4th and 5th 

You need to buy tickets

Also, didn't I see it's moving out to Highmark Stadium after years at Pilot Field / etc.?

EDIT: www.buffalowing.com confirms venue change for 2021.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to Best Wings in Buffalo
4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Also, didn't I see it's moving out to Highmark Stadium after years at Pilot Field / etc.?

EDIT: www.buffalowing.com confirms venue change for 2021.

Yes they moved it out of Pilot Field this year because of the Blue Jays thing.  The Jays had home games that weekend and at the time everything was still up in the air if they would be playing games in Buffalo still at that point.  So of course after they made the switch to Highmark stadium for the Wingfest the Jays have gone back to playing in Toronto.

Covid has really created a clusterf*** in  every way imagineable! 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, Virgil said:

Many fans are making their first time trip to Buffalo this year and the most consistent question I see is “where is the best place to get wings?”   

If you have a strong opinion on this, please state the restaurant and why.  I will update the poll with each restaurant named.  

Also, feel free to add in any “must go to” places, food or not. 

BJs in Fredonia are the best

On 7/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, Virgil said:

I know a lot of people are planning their visits.  Just trying ot help the cause.  Not trying to make disagreements, but moreso share best recommendations

I wondered that but was too afraid to ask

Is Country Sweet in Buffalo?

I know i know  :)

1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

The one important thing missing in this discussion: HOW you eat the wing (flat or drum).

One-handed, single pull, all meat removed, move on to next: OG WNYer.

Two-handed, bite, bite, bite - like it's flipping corn on the cob: umm, not OG WNYer.

depends on the crisp :)

The old standard was being able to do the one pull and done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.