• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

46 minutes ago, goober said:

I like Gabriel’s Gate.  I haven’t had Bar Bill yet and I trust that they’re good, but i really have no interest in any of these fancy nouveau Cajun Leper Honey Butter type flavors.  

I typically agree, but their Honey Cajun wings are amazing!  Also, their pizza logs are great too 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

The last couple years have been crazy. Restaurants either closed or opening at 50% capacity for lack of staff. I met a “Temp Manager” at a Ritz in California. He lived at the Ritz and had a 90 day contract to manage dining floors.

They put up signs saying “be kind to the people who bothered to show up to serve you”. I have a few regular places with regular people, and you learn to appreciate that. A lot. 

But we want what we want for a meal, and we want it right. It’s not too much to ask. 

Rudeness to restaurant staff should never happen. And people should be particularly understanding during these times, IMO. But ordering your meal the way you would like it (within reason, of course) should never be a bother to the staff. 

I've always been drawn to establishments where the  bulk of the staff has been there for years.  Low turnover typically means they pay and treat the employees well. They come to know you and you them.  It just feels better than a place with high turnover. You have to continually train the staff to your tastes/preferences. And even then, they don't seem to care much, knowing they won't be there for long anyway.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

It is a national embarrassment that the bold had to be typed. Properly should suffice. 

My in laws, who moved from Rochester to Buffalo, still order them as “Buffalo Wings” when we go out 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

“How do you want your wings?”

Buffalo. Can we get those extra crispy?

…I just shake my head and telecommunicate an apology to the server. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

My in laws, who moved from Rochester to Buffalo, still order them as “Buffalo Wings” when we go out 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

In China, they just call it “food”. 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I typically agree, but their Honey Cajun wings are amazing!  Also, their pizza logs are great too 

When I make it there I’ll try them because of all the hype - the last time I was in town I even had an Uber driver insistent that I had to go get some…. though if I loved it, I think my self-identity might implode.   Hadn’t heard the pizza logs mentioned before- will try to remember that…too much food too little time.  

On 7/26/2021 at 1:54 PM, Gugny said:

the crispiness of the skin is important.  But what's also important is the moistness of the meat.  If a restaurant's method to crispy skin is frying the ***** out of it, you better believe the meat will be dry.

I've tried multiple methods and finally landed on double frying.  A long (20-30 minutes), low-temp fry to gently cook the meat.  Then in the fridge overnight.  Then flash fry those little mother ***** to crispy perfection while keeping the meat moist.

The challenge that restaurants face is demand and oil temp.  The oil has to be at temp or the wings are fuct.  

Sauce quality is obviously huge .. but the AMOUNT of sauce is also key.  

Getting a dozen wings drowning in sauce is disgusting to me.  Bush League.

Bar Bill brushes/paints their sauce onto the wings.  Always the perfect amount. No puddle left when you're done.

Being an out of towner, I fry my wings at home (wings here in Northern/Central VA suck!) After I thaw out my wings, I season them with a Roasted Garlic and herb seasoning. I always cook my wings like you do (nice and crispy). With whatever sauce I use, I also add some melted butter. 

Never been to Bar Bill. I’ll have to try them next time I’m in town.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know the original owner And current owner of wise guys 

Nice! I’ve only started going there a couple of years now whenever I’m in town, but I’m hooked now. I think they were only open for a couple of years before I went in the Marines (used to always go to Pasquales in West Seneca).

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I would have shaken my head years ago. Now I see Buffalonians talking about the best wings as being honey mustard, sesame, raspberry glazed (OK, maybe not that, but close).

Way back when, the word got out about the wings in Buffalo, the rest of the country imitated them. Poorly for the most part.  Now places in Buffalo (apparently) are imitating the flavors created in places that couldn't make traditional wings of Buffalo.  IMO the only choices for wings (BUFFALO wings) are mild, medium, hot, xtra hot, etc.  The other flavors might be good but they aren't traditional Buffalo-style wings. So when someone coming to Buffalo aks "Who has the best wings?" I assume they are talking about BUFFALO style wings. But the answers are always mixed with sauces that have nothing to do, whatsoever, with the traditional recipe. 

So now I understand when someone asks for Buffalo wings in Buffalo.

When you go out anywhere in the country, you see Buffalo chicken salad. Buffalo chicken on a pizza, etc. Is that chicken EVER in a honey mustard sauce? I don't think so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I like my wings small and crispy and not those huge steroid wings.  Wing-wise, nothing is worse than biting into a giant soggy wing with rubbery skin. I’ve hade good wings from these places.

Snyder Bar and Grill- Cajun BBQ extra crispy.

Kelly’s Corner-Hole in the wall joint but their Hot BBQ is mmmm 😋 so good!

Macy’s Place-has the best variety of sauces I’ve seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.