• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

3 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

Was in a few weeks ago for the Pittsburgh game. Wanted to go to Bar Bill Saturday around 4pm and it was packed, not even a seat at the bar. So headed to Duffs in OP, equally packed. Bummed out I was going to drive around to see what bar I could find and just around the corner from Duffs was 240 South Grill. Not a lot of cars in the lot so I figured why not. The wings were crispy and pretty good. Bar got packed about an hour later. Really wanted to try Bar Bill or Duffs but I wasn't disappointed with 240 South.

We got to the Bar Bill at 4pm that same day (Saturday before the Steelers game).  We ended up waiting three hours for a table.  Granted, we had a party of ten; but three hours is definitely a record.  Luckily it wasn't unbearably cold and it wasn't raining.  And yes ... it was totally worth it!

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

We got to the Bar Bill at 4pm that same day (Saturday before the Steelers game).  We ended up waiting three hours for a table.  Granted, we had a party of ten; but three hours is definitely a record.  Luckily it wasn't unbearably cold and it wasn't raining.  And yes ... it was totally worth it!

Wow three hours!!!! I couldn't have waited that long after a 6 hour drive! I might have passed you at the door as I was walking out lol. But glad you enjoyed them. I'll get to them one day before I die!

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Outside?

I refuse to wait more than 10-15 minutes unless it is waiting in/at the bar. I can be coerced into a slightly long wait outside IF they'll bring  me a complimentary drink/beer/wine

• Agree 1

Just now, The Dean said:

Outside?

I refuse to wait more than 10-15 minutes unless it is waiting in/at the bar. I can be coerced into a slightly long wait outside IF they'll bring  me a complimentary drink/beer/wine

Outside, indeed.  Beers are $4 (Canadian draft) and they let you buy them at the bar and bring them outside.  I was totally fine with it.  Spent the first hour or so with my son; then the rest of the party came and we got to catch up, since we hadn't seen each other for a very long time.

5 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

Wow three hours!!!! I couldn't have waited that long after a 6 hour drive! I might have passed you at the door as I was walking out lol. But glad you enjoyed them. I'll get to them one day before I die!

Yeah, we drove 5 hours to get there.  Normally, I'd never wait three hours to do anything.  But this has become a tradition that I love.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

About a decade or so ago, I got a pepperoni pizza from Blasdell without knowing anything about it.  I was drunk and hungry and their menu was in the hotel room.  Since then, a post-game pepperoni pie from Blasdell has become an annual post-game tradition.  

Gugs, I send cash to my sisters for their tris to Clearwater maybe 3 times a year each.  My order.

Two Blasdell pizza subs like the way I said you order the pizza, and a 12 pack of beef and cheese burritos at MT.  I froth at the mouth when coming.  Terrible for me, but I double my cardio to enjoy these guilty pleasures.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

The Buyer for Duffs should get a raise. Their wings are the meatiest.

My problem with Duffs wings: they are too wet, even when you order them crispy. I like a crisp wing, not a soggy mess.

I wish I liked Duffs more--I live near one.

The last time I was able to have Duffs (Sheridan Dr), the wings were served in a bowl of sauce. And they were as crispy as any order of wings I have even had. Properly cooked wings shouldn't lose their crispness due to an excess of sauce, IMO. For the record, I always order my wings Extra Crispy. Maybe that's the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It still bothers me that Duff's is in first.  Bar Bill and Gabriel's Gate are just so much better....

But I am impressed this thread keeps popping back up

I like Gabriel’s Gate.  I haven’t had Bar Bill yet and I trust that they’re good, but i really have no interest in any of these fancy nouveau Cajun Leper Honey Butter type flavors.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Most places undercook their wings. (The Anchor Bar wings are by far, the worst, that I have ever had)

The rule of thumb, was 'if they are floating, they are done'.

It is a $, and ¢ decision, but it is an incorrect one, in terms of quality.

When I was a college student in Rochester, I had a job as a short order cook, in (what I refer to, as) a 'Meat Market Disco', in Pittsford. (circa 1981)  I always violated the 'cook until they are floating' rule, to consistently rave reviews. Cooking really good wings isn't 'Rocket Surgery', but when you are manning the Fryer, or Stove, the only approach, is cook with *Love*, and Attention.

I could show anyone how to cook great wings, in a few minutes....

As you said I don’t think it’s not necessarily A can’t do thing…

Time is money And a place that puts out high volume wings needs to be expedient … 

If somebody asks for wings extra crispy… You could show them a little bit more love and stop and start fry them for 17 minutes make them nice and crispy

But most pizzerias… Like the one my friend owns… Doesn’t have the time

Now if you were solely a wing joint who focused on putting out top notch wings… Then You shouldn’t be putting out soggy wings

29 minutes ago, The Dean said:

The last time I was able to have Duffs (Sheridan Dr), the wings were served in a bowl of sauce. And they were as crispy as any order of wings I have even had. Properly cooked wings shouldn't lose their crispness due to an excess of sauce, IMO. For the record, I always order my wings Extra Crispy. Maybe that's the difference.

It is a national embarrassment that the bold had to be typed. Properly should suffice. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

It is a national embarrassment that the bold had to be typed. Properly should suffice. 

Agreed. But you know that doesn't suffice far too often. Just like pizza. I make sure to order my food the way I want it. I find I have far fewer complaints that way.  I know people who complain about underdone wings/pizza on a regular basis. My first question to them is "Did you order it crispy/well done?" The answer is almost always, "No."  It only take a second to do. I highly recommend it!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'm very particular about food, and I always specify how I want it to be cooked. In recent times, I have caught a vibe of annoyance from *some* wait staff, when I make polite requests. Sign of the times, I guess...

The last couple years have been crazy. Restaurants either closed or opening at 50% capacity for lack of staff. I met a “Temp Manager” at a Ritz in California. He lived at the Ritz and had a 90 day contract to manage dining floors.

They put up signs saying “be kind to the people who bothered to show up to serve you”. I have a few regular places with regular people, and you learn to appreciate that. A lot. 

But we want what we want for a meal, and we want it right. It’s not too much to ask. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.