• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

I think we have to break this down a little more

Do you guys think that great wings MUST have lots of sauce?

I do and I consider this a difference between Buffalo wings and other places.

This is one of the reasons I rank Duffs the best (along with its crispness while staying moist inside of course)

I have never been to Bar Bill because moved out of state before it was popular and don't even know if they do this

Places where I am now I always have to ask for extra wet

I love walking inst Duffs and just saying "20 wings hot please" and being done. without having to say extra wet, blue cheese, and perhaps crispy and bone in LOL

Edited by DrDare
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 6 months later...

Was in town for a night last week and finally got to try nine eleven. Wow, they were fantastic. Great quality wing, hot and crispy, plenty of sauce and great blue cheese. Got hot and medium and both were awesome. Hot is not too hot, so the chili heads might be disappointed but I really loved the flavor. I think nine eleven now sits atop my rankings for traditional, mild/med/hot wing. 

Also timed it on a perfect night too. Not busy, walked right into a couple seats at the bar and probably only 20-25 minutes for food. Polished off about 5-6 blue lights and about 15 wings, what else could one want!?

Bar bill still at the top of my “alternative flavor” list. Will be hitting it after the game next Saturday so will get a good refresher there too. 

Edited by billsfanmiamioh

On 1/15/2022 at 11:07 PM, Draconator said:

Bumping just to say last night my family went to Anchor Bar, the original. I had the extreme hot wings. Maybe I'm weird, but I didn't find their extreme hot wings too hot. I ate the entire order without any eye watering or lip tingling. Our waitress was quite impressed however. 

Did you try taking a pee afterwards without washing your hands first, tough guy? :devil:

• Haha (+1) 2

On 1/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, Draconator said:

Bumping just to say last night my family went to Anchor Bar, the original. I had the extreme hot wings. Maybe I'm weird, but I didn't find their extreme hot wings too hot. I ate the entire order without any eye watering or lip tingling. Our waitress was quite impressed however. 

Anchor Bar is mainly for the nostalgia. Their wings aren't bad. They are OK. 

I was actually really disappointed in Duff's when we went to the Dick rd location and took some out of town guests there. They were good but by God, has the wing size been cut in half from a few years ago?? Just tiny wings when I am used to getting giant ones there...

Bar Bill still is the champ hands down tho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/6/2021 at 10:19 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Elmo’s was our favorite when we were there week 1.  Our list of wing stops was Bar-Bill, Elmo’s, Duff’s, and Anchor Bar.  Elmo’s won.  

For an unpopular opinion:  Buffalo does NOT have the best roast beef sandwiches, nor is it even close.  Beef on Weck is meh, pretty bland and boring.  We were a bit surprised and disappointed at how over hyped it was and honestly probably would not order again when back in Buffalo over other many delicious options there like wings, pizza, etc.  

And for the record, we love roast beef sandwiches, but even though we allegedly had one of the best at Bar-Bill, we just found it to be a let down.  

Buffalo had the best wings for sure, and a lot of other delicious food.  However, the Beef on Weck would be like a 4 or 5 out of ten compared to many places here serving Roast Beef sandwiches that are 9’s and 10’s all day long.  

Wanna know another unpopular opinion?  Buffalo pizza sucks.  

It's just mostly bread.  I'd rather have Domino's.  

If I want good pizza, give me a NY style thin crust from a mom and pop shop.

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Anchor Bar is mainly for the nostalgia. Their wings aren't bad. They are OK. 

I was actually really disappointed in Duff's when we went to the Dick rd location and took some out of town guests there. They were good but by God, has the wing size been cut in half from a few years ago?? Just tiny wings when I am used to getting giant ones there...

Bar Bill still is the champ hands down tho.

Anchor bar disappoints me. Their wings are never crisp enough.

Duff's gets my vote.

Consistently crisp, hot and meaty. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, Virgil said:

Many fans are making their first time trip to Buffalo this year and the most consistent question I see is “where is the best place to get wings?”   

If you have a strong opinion on this, please state the restaurant and why.  I will update the poll with each restaurant named.  

Also, feel free to add in any “must go to” places, food or not. 

I'm never going back to Duffs. Past two times I went to the OP location, my food was cold. I mean, not good for a wing place.

44 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Anchor bar disappoints me. Their wings are never crisp enough.

Duff's gets my vote.

Consistently crisp, hot and meaty. 

They were definitely not meaty when I was there about a month ago...maybe it was just a bad batch but I looked like a fool when I told them how our wings are usually the biggest around.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You want some crap pizza,  come to Pittsburgh..BTW Buffalo pizza doesn't suck

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This.

Try Ferros in West Seneca. Fantastic NY style.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm never going back to Duffs. Past two times I went to the OP location, my food was cold. I mean, not good for a wing place.

I don’t even like to get wings to go. They are not crispy by the time I get them home. Part of it is steaming in the container, I think.  Cold, flabby wings are disgusting! 

We had a very accomplished architect here to help us with some design stuff recently. He saw my Bills stuff around the house and mentioned his wife was going on a beach trip with friends, but he’s not a beach guy. Instead, he was leaving for a trip to Buffalo to see all the architectural highlights, the Falls and some other stuff. He listed the Frank Lloyd Wright house, art gallery and had a long list of stuff to see. Buffalo has some great architecture! 

While he’s here the wife mentions The Anchor Bar (the only wing joint she’s been to in WNY). I explain that people will argue who has the best wings, but it’s generally acknowledged who had the first wings. A couple days later we get an email from him with a picture of his wings, a cold beer and an Anchor Bar menu. A few hours later and I respond and say he has to get some pizza while he’s there…..and he immediately sent me a pic of a fantastic looking pizza sitting in front of him! I think he had a good trip! 

• Like (+1) 2

I heard about bar-bill  for the last couple of years and had the opportunity to go a couple days ago. Didn’t disappoint. My wife & I went back again today which is way out of our character while on vacation. To me there the best I’ve ever had. Been to Duff’s many times and very good. Anchor bar is good on their best day. Fantastic experience at Bar-bill.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

After much thought I have to pass on any place charging over $1 per wing. The answer is none of these...

What am I, made of money?

The wife and I were buying our own wings and making them up for awhile. Even those doubled in price recently. Chicken wings are officially a delicacy. 😭

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

The wife and I were buying our own wings and making them up for awhile. Even those doubled in price recently. Chicken wings are officially a delicacy. 😭

I swear that several places around me have “Market Price” next to their wings, like they are lobster or something!  WTF? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.