• Elmo's
    • Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

Went to Elmos the weekend of the home opener to give them a try.

They were pretty bad.

Got half medium, half Cajun honey mustard (suggested by waitress)

The wings were slightly overcooked, a little chewy. The medium sauce was so so, the Cajun honey mustard I could barely eat.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently in Buffalo and after seeing this poll, we wanted to try the Bar-Bill vs Duffs thing.  For our group, it was Duff's original location on Sheridan by a long shot.  We ordered as many different types of Bar-Bill wings (east Aurora) as we could to try and find the best ones, but I don't get it.  Despite the staff being great, the only thing we found endearing about bar-bill was meeting the group of actors that are working on the Cabrini movie being shot in Buffalo.  We have already tried Gabriel's, Anchor, and LaNova and will be hitting the rest of the wings on the poll list during future trips. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Did anyone try Bar Bill the night before the Washington game?  I want to know what the wait was like.  It was 3 hours before the season opener.  I’m coming up this weekend for the Texans and wanted to try again. 

I went after the game Sunday. Stayed in the Hampton down the street. Ran in and put our name in around 6pm then went to the hotel & showered and changed. Table was ready about an hour later (only 2 of us). When you put your name in, you get a text and can see your position in line and kind of keep an eye on where you are. 

2 hours ago, MaltaBillsFan said:

Recently in Buffalo and after seeing this poll, we wanted to try the Bar-Bill vs Duffs thing.  For our group, it was Duff's original location on Sheridan by a long shot.  We ordered as many different types of Bar-Bill wings (east Aurora) as we could to try and find the best ones, but I don't get it.  Despite the staff being great, the only thing we found endearing about bar-bill was meeting the group of actors that are working on the Cabrini movie being shot in Buffalo.  We have already tried Gabriel's, Anchor, and LaNova and will be hitting the rest of the wings on the poll list during future trips. 

Go Bills!

What did you think of Gabriel’s Gate?

As a frist timer to Buffalo week 1...I tried 4 places...and I have a verdict of who my favorite was and will rank them.  The 4 I tried are Bar-Bill, Duffs, Elmo's, and Anchor Bar.  My rank, and admittedly, the votes are all close in terms of just the wings, it wasn't like one of these was terrible or anything, just my order of preference on where I will revisit on the next trips while also mixing in some new ones.  

1. Elmo's - I gave them the nod over Bar-Bill as I like a little more sauce on them then I got from Bar-Bill, plus I like the addition of the grilled wings too.  
  2. Bar-Bill - I would go here over anyone on the list first simply because I think they have a better menu overall and really liked their pizza too.  But on wings alone, I felt ours were a tad dryer than I prefer.  I don't want them sloppy messy, but our batch was a bit too light on sauce in my only trip here.  But food overall was still very good.
  3. Duff's - Very good wings, but as a place to eat in general this place sucks lol.  Not what I expected, menu just isn't any good outside wings and they don't even have any TV's despite looking like a total dive bar.  I can't imagine I will ever go here again even though the wings were good.  Too many other places with really good wings too and better menu and atmosphere.  For clarification, we went to the original location.  Again, we did really like the wings, but thats all they have to offer, so was quite underwhelmed with the place overall as a result.
  4. Anchor Bar - Admittedly, this isnt a fair comparison considering we ate the location in the airport.  But I have to say the wings were surprisingly still quite good, just not quite as meaty as the other places which is the only reason they came in at 4.  

Again, from a wings perspective, all of these places had wings we quite enjoyed.  

Next trip, giving Anchor Bar a legit try by hitting one of their real locations and also Gabriel's Gate are 2 we intend to hit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As a frist timer to Buffalo week 1...I tried 4 places...and I have a verdict of who my favorite was and will rank them.  The 4 I tried are Bar-Bill, Duffs, Elmo's, and Anchor Bar.  My rank, and admittedly, the votes are all close in terms of just the wings, it wasn't like one of these was terrible or anything, just my order of preference on where I will revisit on the next trips while also mixing in some new ones.  

1. Elmo's - I gave them the nod over Bar-Bill as I like a little more sauce on them then I got from Bar-Bill, plus I like the addition of the grilled wings too.  
  2. Bar-Bill - I would go here over anyone on the list first simply because I think they have a better menu overall and really liked their pizza too.  But on wings alone, I felt ours were a tad dryer than I prefer.  I don't want them sloppy messy, but our batch was a bit too light on sauce in my only trip here.  But food overall was still very good.
  3. Duff's - Very good wings, but as a place to eat in general this place sucks lol.  Not what I expected, menu just isn't any good outside wings and they don't even have any TV's despite looking like a total dive bar.  I can't imagine I will ever go here again even though the wings were good.  Too many other places with really good wings too and better menu and atmosphere.  For clarification, we went to the original location.  Again, we did really like the wings, but thats all they have to offer, so was quite underwhelmed with the place overall as a result.
  4. Anchor Bar - Admittedly, this isnt a fair comparison considering we ate the location in the airport.  But I have to say the wings were surprisingly still quite good, just not quite as meaty as the other places which is the only reason they came in at 4.  

Again, from a wings perspective, all of these places had wings we quite enjoyed.  

Next trip, giving Anchor Bar a legit try by hitting one of their real locations and also Gabriel's Gate are 2 we intend to hit.

With Duffs it really depends on which location. The one on Dick Rd. is great... spacious and plenty of tv's.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, nato7412 said:

How do you guys like la novas wings 

Extremely mediocre last time I had them (which was quite a few years ago). But not quite as bad as their pizza.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There really is only ONE real Anchor Bar location. The original one. But I agree, the airport location is pretty decent for an airport restaurant.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Extremely mediocre last time I had them (which was quite a few years ago). But not quite as bad as their pizza.

There really is only ONE real Anchor Bar location. The original one. But I agree, the airport location is pretty decent for an airport restaurant.

What? La Nova pizza is some of the best in Buffalo

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What? La Nova pizza is some of the best in Buffalo

Again, I haven't had it in maybe 10 years. So perhaps it has changed. But I always considered it extremely pedestrian. No craft to it at all.  

1 hour ago, T&C said:

With Duffs it really depends on which location. The one on Dick Rd. is great... spacious and plenty of tv's.

Ah, we tried the original location, we will try the other one next trip thought to compare :)  Original we went to after the Bills game and were hoping to watch the night game and were disappointed the lack of TVs

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ah, we tried the original location, we will try the other one next trip thought to compare :)  Original we went to after the Bills game and were hoping to watch the night game and were disappointed the lack of TVs

The original Duffs location makes GREAT wings. But it has no atmosphere at all. I was a bit surprised to find it really hadn't changed since the last time I was there--maybe 6-8 years ago. I will say the service was fantastic, though.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Duff's - Very good wings, but as a place to eat in general this place sucks lol.  Not what I expected, menu just isn't any good outside wings and they don't even have any TV's despite looking like a total dive bar.  I can't imagine I will ever go here again even though the wings were good.  Too many other places with really good wings too and better menu and atmosphere.  For clarification, we went to the original location.  Again, we did really like the wings, but thats all they have to offer, so was quite underwhelmed with the place overall as a result.
  2. Anchor Bar - Admittedly, this isnt a fair comparison considering we ate the location in the airport.  But I have to say the wings were surprisingly still quite good, just not quite as meaty as the other places which is the only reason they came in at 4.  

Seriously, do they even have a BAR? A dive bar needs a BAR! I tried getting in for some wings on recent trips and gave up. Too crowded, but at one point I was parked and went in looking for a single seat at the bar. I didn’t even see a bar! Did I miss it? It was so crowded I might have missed it. 

I took the family to the original Anchor Bar on Main St this trip, where I took my boys on our rite of passage pilgrimage when they turned 16. Funny thing is, I had never been there before! The bar area was too crowded so we went to a side room with no TV’s to get seated. Why on earth do they not add TV’s in there? DIL had to watch her UGA game on her phone. That is WRONG! You might have noticed, she’s not just a casual football fan. Our son got a good one! 

Growing up we went to Duff’s on Sheridan (original). That was my neck of the woods. The drinking age was 18 and my friends were a bit older than I was, so I got my first pitchers there at 16. Close enough! The wings were secondary and we took them for granted. We were there for the BEER!  

Our trip was rushed this year due to the Friday wedding in Chicago. I hope to try Bar-Bill and Elmo’s next trip, and I pray I’m wearing my Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champion gear, rather than sending it off to African again……

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Seriously, do they even have a BAR? A dive bar needs a BAR! I tried getting in for some wings on recent trips and gave up. Too crowded, but at one point I was parked and went in looking for a single seat at the bar. I didn’t even see a bar! Did I miss it? It was so crowded I might have missed it. 

I took the family to the original Anchor Bar on Main St this trip, where I took my boys on our rite of passage pilgrimage when they turned 16. Funny thing is, I had never been there before! The bar area was too crowded so we went to a side room with no TV’s to get seated. Why on earth do they not add TV’s in there? DIL had to watch her UGA game on her phone. That is WRONG! You might have noticed, she’s not just a casual football fan. Our son got a good one! 

Growing up we went to Duff’s on Sheridan (original). That was my neck of the woods. The drinking age was 18 and my friends were a bit older than I was, so I got my first pitchers there at 16. Close enough! The wings were secondary and we took them for granted. We were there for the BEER!  

Our trip was rushed this year due to the Friday wedding in Chicago. I hope to try Bar-Bill and Elmo’s next trip, and I pray I’m wearing my Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champion gear, rather than sending it off to African again……

In the original Duffs there is a bar but its right when you walk in and almost like a hostess station more than a bar lol.  They sat us in the corner next to it.  We wanted to get Anchor Bar in as well, but just ran out of time, but at least we got them at the airport.  And for airport food, I was quite pleased even though it was expensive at $14 for 5 wings and a small side of fries.  But for the airport it was totally worth it and hit the spot.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.