• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Has anyone been to Macy’s Pizza in Cheektowaga?

Yea, it's down the street from my parents house

They do a lot of crazy stuff but I think it's gimmicky ... Whole chicken wings on pizza and alot of crazy stuff 

I think their standard cheese pep is average for Buffalo , nothing crazy ... I do really like their chicken wings tho

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Is it just me or has Gabriel's Gate fallen off lately?

The last two times I came back to Buffalo, the wings have been soggy and 7/10 at best.

They used to be incredible... not sure if it's just bad luck or a trend.

I had some there in June and they were still great. It was like a random Wednesday night though and not very busy.

8 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I had some there in June and they were still great. It was like a random Wednesday night though and not very busy.

Yeah, non-peak hours often make for better wing experiences.  When places are packed and they're dropping order after order of wings and fries just to keep up, the oil gets colder and the product suffers.

14 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Is it just me or has Gabriel's Gate fallen off lately?

The last two times I came back to Buffalo, the wings have been soggy and 7/10 at best.

They used to be incredible... not sure if it's just bad luck or a trend.

Theyve been soggy since at least 2012. I keep giving them a chance every year or so but they keep disappointing.  Even if you ask for extra crispy they still come out like that. Hasn't been busy any time we went. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Hardly official, but I thought I would share my experience:

Bar Bill, East Aurora - Friday Afternoon

10 hot, 10 honey butter bbq - the hot were not very crispy and minimally sauced.  I am not crazy about the flavor of their hot sauce.  The honey butter bbq were perfectly fried, perfectly sauced and stayed nice and crispy.  There is something about sugary glazes that help maintain the integrity of the skin.  I continue to be baffled about Buffalo's love affair with beef on weck.

Gene McCarthys - Friday Night

10 Sheffield, 10 McCarthy Style, 10 Hot - the hot were mild and buttery.  McCarthy style was unique with the BBQ sauce and blue cheese crumbles.  Sheffield were my favorite since the dry rub didn't make the skin soggy.  Wings were good but nothing special. The real winner here was the fish fry and the house made beer. 

Duffs on Sheridan - Saturday Noon

10 Hot, 10 Medium - these were perfect.  Quintessential version of a wing.  The hot were perfectly fried, perfectly sauced and delivered that classic vinegary flavor.  It doesn't get any better than the batch we had there. 

Gabriel's Gate - Sunday night

20 hot - these were excellent but not as crispy as what I enjoyed at Duffs or my last visit to Gabes Gate.  Classic version of the wing and decent consolation after a bad football game. Still tasted good coming back up a few hours later.

Clear winner on the weekend was Duffs.  If the hot were anywhere near as good as the honey butter bbq it might have been close with Bar Bill.  The loser was my stomach lining.  Looking forward to doing it again next year and checking out a few more spots.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Hardly official, but I thought I would share my experience:

Bar Bill, East Aurora - Friday Afternoon

10 hot, 10 honey butter bbq - the hot were not very crispy and minimally sauced.  I am not crazy about the flavor of their hot sauce.  The honey butter bbq were perfectly fried, perfectly sauced and stayed nice and crispy.  There is something about sugary glazes that help maintain the integrity of the skin.  I continue to be baffled about Buffalo's love affair with beef on weck.

For the first time ever, I went with mild wings.  I knew my girlfriend wouldn't eat 10 wings and I probably wouldn't, either (four Molsen Canadians during our 2-hour wait).  So we split 10 wings and a regular-sized beef on weck.

The wings were the least crispy I've ever had at Bar Bill, but still crispy.  They actually seemed saucier than I've ever had, but I think that can be chalked up to the different consistencies between mild and hot (or hotter) sauces.

I've always been a huge fan of their flavor, but I do need to expand my horizons.  I might try that next year.

My post-game tradition began eight years ago and that is getting a pizza from Blasdell Pizza.  This was the first time I went to the shop and ordered it/brought it back to the hotel.  Usually, it's a drunken order, LOL.  Went with a pepperoni and mushroom.  It was delicious, as always.  However, the pepperoni was not really charred at all.  Cupped ... but not charred.  That was a first.

It was my girlfriend's first time eating the Buffalo area staples and she loved it all.

Next year, I'll definitely get my own hot wings, but sharing the beef on weck was a good call.  Lots of food.  I absolutely LOVE the beef on weck and it'll be on at least a few Sunday football menus at home and definitely on the Super Bowl menu.

Great meeting you and the Mrs.!

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone like the wings at Ilio DiPaulo's?  Was there after the game and ran into Eric Wood.  Anyhow, had to wait at the bar and was starving so got an order of wings.  First time having them there.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Crispy on the outside like they should be, not drowning in the sauce, which had good flavor.  Never see them mentioned as wing places (understandably) but I thought they were pretty good.  Curious on others opinions who have tried them.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

For the first time ever, I went with mild wings.  I knew my girlfriend wouldn't eat 10 wings and I probably wouldn't, either (four Molsen Canadians during our 2-hour wait).  So we split 10 wings and a regular-sized beef on weck.

The wings were the least crispy I've ever had at Bar Bill, but still crispy.  They actually seemed saucier than I've ever had, but I think that can be chalked up to the different consistencies between mild and hot (or hotter) sauces.

I've always been a huge fan of their flavor, but I do need to expand my horizons.  I might try that next year.

My post-game tradition began eight years ago and that is getting a pizza from Blasdell Pizza.  This was the first time I went to the shop and ordered it/brought it back to the hotel.  Usually, it's a drunken order, LOL.  Went with a pepperoni and mushroom.  It was delicious, as always.  However, the pepperoni was not really charred at all.  Cupped ... but not charred.  That was a first.

It was my girlfriend's first time eating the Buffalo area staples and she loved it all.

Next year, I'll definitely get my own hot wings, but sharing the beef on weck was a good call.  Lots of food.  I absolutely LOVE the beef on weck and it'll be on at least a few Sunday football menus at home and definitely on the Super Bowl menu.

Great meeting you and the Mrs.!

So you’re the a hole that used up all the cheese? 😂 Most of the places around Hamburg were closed so we called Blasdell for a pickup order to take back to the hotel. Couldn’t get a pizza made because they were out of cheese! Got a double order of wings and the 3 slices they still had in the case. It did the trick.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

So you’re the a hole that used up all the cheese? 😂 Most of the places around Hamburg were closed so we called Blasdell for a pickup order to take back to the hotel. Couldn’t get a pizza made because they were out of cheese! Got a double order of wings and the 3 slices they still had in the case. It did the trick.

This is where Monty Python and the cheese shop should be posted! What’s a pizza joint without cheese/pizza???  You are right to blame @Gugny.  That dude will break into your car with you in it, if you aren’t careful!   :)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

This is where Monty Python and the cheese shop should be posted! What’s a pizza joint without cheese/pizza???  You are right to blame @Gugny.  That dude will break into your car with you in it, if you aren’t careful!   :)

I thought I gave you a heart attack!!!  I'm sorry, man!!  Great meeting you and the fam!

• Thank you (+1) 1

So I was in town last weekend for the game and made a point to go to Duffs in Orchard Park and Bar Bill in East Aurora.  I was always a big fan of Duffs, but this last visit was a huge letdown. The service was awful, wings took over an hour to come out, they were only warm when they did come out, and the next day (game day) I was sick all morning from the food. It wasn’t a hangover cause I didnt have anything to drink.  I talked to several people Sunday and they all said Duffs has gone downhill and I have to agree. 

Sunday night after the game we hit Bar Bills in East Aurora and I was very happy with wings. We ordered 50 and got 5 different flavors. Let me say that the Cajun wings are a real knockout, instantly my favorite wings. Awesome place for wings and the Bleu Cheese is homemade and is also excellent. 

Bar Bill gets my vote. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Only had time for one beef and one order of wings, this time in WNY. 

A top notch beef at the Glen Park Tavern in Williamsville.  I've never had one there that wasn't spectacular.  The crispy fresh cut fries, with gravy just made it better.

Fantastic order of Super Hot wings at Duffs. Very crispy and swimming in a bowl of fabulous sauce. Properly cooked wings do NOT get soggy even when drenched in sauce. Minor nit: the sauce wasn't as hot as theold suicide. Still great.

Maybe best of all, a double double (steak and cheese) from Viola's on Elmwood in The Falls.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.