• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

22 hours ago, The Dean said:

Agreed. Too many great places to focus on just one, IMO.

On an entirely unrelated point:

Understand I'm an old timer, but back in the day (don't you hate that expression?)  honey mustard wings were NOT "real" wings (meaning classic Buffalo wings). Many, if not most of the alternative flavors aren't Buffalo creations at all. Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy some of the different flavors of wings, I just would never refer to them as Buffalo Wings. Buffalo Wings have Buffalo style sauce on them. Pretty simple, when you think about it, no?  

Getting flavorful wings isn't a problem outside Buffalo, IMO. Getting great BUFFALO wings is the tough part. Especially if you like your wings "suicidal" hot.

Getting wings that are cooked properly outside of Buffalo is the tough part.  Most of America thinks having 50 different sauces and bottomless ranch to cover up rubbery chicken are what make a great wing joint. 

• Agree 2

Best wings: I shall roll top 5; 

1) Barbill

2) Duffs

3) Gabriels Gate

4) The 911

5) Kellys Corner

Honorable mention- The Blue Bull Tavern. They would of edged out Kellys Corner but doors have been shut since CV-19.

The overrated- Anchor Bar- yes, the original and we pay respects to that, but they do not even fall in top ten.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Tried to go to duffs after the game saturday and it was an hour wait. Saw demar hamlin in the parking lot. Left and went to big tree and the hot wings were absolutely phenomenal

When we went after training camp, we left a little early to avoid the crowd leaving and get there before it got crazy.  Got in quickly but their server didn't show up on time so we waited a half hour before placing our order.

13 hours ago, goober said:

Not sure.  I have never ordered mild wings at Duffs but am good w/ their medium to hot.  Wingnutz sounds like if I want to order wings w/o sauce that are huge & crispy, and I am getting them takeout, and at home putting my own sauce on them, and they stay crispy during the car ride, that sounds great?  Not everything stays crispy during the car ride, especially when you order a bucket....how do you order a bucket to go and keep them from getting ruined b/c of the steam?  That's what I would like to know.

I do this quite often down here. For 2/3 reasons. As you say, they stay crispier. And I think they reheat better/crispier w/o the sauce. And if the sauce isn't up to par, I can just use my own homemade sauce, which is superior to most anything you get here.

8 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Shellfish allergies are varying in sensitivity.  Mine, unfortunately, I can’t eat anything cooked in oil that had shrimp.  I’ve had 2 reactions from food cooked in that oil - fries and house made tortilla chips.  Both told me it wasn’t an issue.  One of them admitted their mistake after I had a reaction.  Have found only a handful of restaurants that have fryers dedicated for shrimp/fish.  Seems the fryers are a “free for all”.

As far as causing flavors to mix?  Most of the restaurants that don’t have dedicated fryers tell me not to worry as they change their oil frequently.  Doesn’t matter for the allergy, maybe taste contamination it does.  

It sucks to have an allergy that bad.  You gotta be REALLY careful.

And I've worked in restaurants that keep a seperate fish fryer. Especially in Buffalo. Can you imagine what the wings would taste like on a fish fry Friday?  Mister Dee's didn't serve wings on Friday, because they only had one fryer.  BTW, have they reopened yet? I heard it was bought by someone. But that wasn't confirmed.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

They shouldn't be sauceless.  That was a mistake on their part.

I was under the  impression he meant very little sauce, not completely sauceless. In some places the difference between mild, medium and hot is just the amount of sauce they put on. So some "mild" wings can be fairly sauceless.  I do not know if that happened to him, but I'm guessing that's what  it was.

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Are breaded wings frowned upon in Buffalo? They're my favourite but I feel like they're not the most popular there. 

Breaded wings are fine---as long as you aren't serving Buffalo Wings.   The crap Hooters served are NOT Buffalo Wings.

Edited by The Dean

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I was under the  impression he meant very little sauce, not completely sauceless. In some places the difference between mild, medium and hot is just the amount of sauce they put on. So some "mild" wings can be fairly sauceless.  I do not know if that happened to him, but I'm guessing that's what  it was.

Yeah that's what I thought, but he made it a point to say "completely sauceless," not something like "barely had any sauce on them."

14 hours ago, goober said:

Not sure.  I have never ordered mild wings at Duffs but am good w/ their medium to hot.  Wingnutz sounds like if I want to order wings w/o sauce that are huge & crispy, and I am getting them takeout, and at home putting my own sauce on them, and they stay crispy during the car ride, that sounds great?  Not everything stays crispy during the car ride, especially when you order a bucket....how do you order a bucket to go and keep them from getting ruined b/c of the steam?  That's what I would like to know.

I open the bucket to let the steam escape. Wings will be lukewarm, but still crispy. Do it with French fries and onion rings too

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Best wings: I shall roll top 5; 

1) Barbill

2) Duffs

3) Gabriels Gate

4) The 911

5) Kellys Corner

Honorable mention- The Blue Bull Tavern. They would of edged out Kellys Corner but doors have been shut since CV-19.

The overrated- Anchor Bar- yes, the original and we pay respects to that, but they do not even fall in top ten.

I urge everyone to try SBG when in Snyder. Dry rub Cajun wings are awesome 

• Like (+1) 1

Will be staying in Hamburg for the home opener (coming up from VA).  So where are the best wings in the Hamburg area?  Is it a safe assumption that places in that area will be mob scenes on Friday night the 10th?  

On 8/29/2021 at 5:49 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Cajun honey butter BBQ. These are the best wings in the world, outside of Wingnutz Mild

Had my first bar bill experience after the game Sunday (had to wait a bit over an hour for a table). These are what I had and they were phenomenal. Bar Bill and Gabriel’s gate are my 1A and 1B now. I haven’t tried 911 yet but will sometime this season 

10 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Didn't feel like this deserved its own thread...

My wife just bought an air fryer for us.  Any tips/completely different recipes for doing wings in an air fryer?

There has been a ton if discussion about air fryers and wings here, but it's always occurred in the Off the Wall forum.  So you might want to check there.  Just a tip.

But that leads me to ask, why is this chicken wing thread still on the main, Buffalo Bills football page? I really don't care that much, but given the stuff that gets moved there, this stands out like a sort thumb, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had bar bill in clarence. I usually go hot unless the medium is hotter and i was pretty underwhelmed considering the hype. Didnt have enough buffalo flavor in it, only one experience but the hot sauce was not good.

Ive had gabriels and duffs a few times and they are good but I've had better at random places. Best I had the trip im currently visiting buffalo on are allen burger venture and buffalo best bar in op. Both are cripsy wings buffalo sauce with a bit of butter flavor but enough heat to make the burn linger... that is the style i like. I used to love wing night at barbers in brockport in college.

23 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

I had bar bill in clarence. I usually go hot unless the medium is hotter and i was pretty underwhelmed considering the hype. Didnt have enough buffalo flavor in it, only one experience but the hot sauce was not good.

Ive had gabriels and duffs a few times and they are good but I've had better at random places. Best I had the trip im currently visiting buffalo on are allen burger venture and buffalo best bar in op. Both are cripsy wings buffalo sauce with a bit of butter flavor but enough heat to make the burn linger... that is the style i like. I used to love wing night at barbers in brockport in college.

Is Barber's still there?  I loved those old fashioned "see the beer taps".  I used to drive up from Buffalo a couple times a summer just to take a drive and hang out at Barber's. I don't remember the wings, though. Loved the grill behind the bar in the back.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:06 PM, dorquemada said:

lol, im in the same boat.  I've been to Elmo's, and love the wings.  Before I moved out (30 years ago), i used to go to the Raintree Inn in Tonawanda.  No idea if it's still there but pitcher of Molson and a dozen hot wings and I was happy

I lived across the street from that place ‘95-97. I played on the Monday softball team. Because I showed up reliably, they asked me to play on the puck-bowling team. Playing in a puck-bowling league is the most Buffalo thing about me.

The wings were good there. I think Gabriel’s Gate had the best back then. God, I was young.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, chaccof said:

Will be staying in Hamburg for the home opener (coming up from VA).  So where are the best wings in the Hamburg area?  Is it a safe assumption that places in that area will be mob scenes on Friday night the 10th?  

Nine Eleven Tavern and Mammoser's are very popular spots in Hamburg.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:51 PM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I tried to start this as a new post but it wouldn't select stadium wall as the forum to post in. Dunno if its a glitch ...

I was just thinking I'd love one of the reporters to ask E Sanders if he orders Buffalo Blue Cheese with his wings now that he got to taste the good stuff.  Just curious if his video where he acknowledged he was wrong once he tasted it locally or if he still goes with what he ate them with before.   It really doesn't matter to me as I don't care for either Ranch nor Blue Cheese and to be honest I don't even order wings very often and if I do they are always BBQ and I don't dip them in anything else.  Just curious if he was asked out of the blue a follow up on his previous stance before he tried the Buffalo version to see how he'd answer that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.