• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Speaking of Bailey Ave, how about Annacones?  Great Beef on Weck and terrific bar prices. Good jukebox, too!  But I was never a fan of Bailo's beef. Overcooked covered with gravy. That's not my idea of a BOW. But their fries and gravy were good.

Strohs dark on tap at Annacones. Good pool table

1 minute ago, Buffalo ill said:

I've never been to Buffalo.  If I was served wings with Frank's red hot sauce on them, I'd be majorly disappointed. 

I'm confused. Have you had "Buffalo wings" before?  Did you like them? Because if they were traditional Buffalo wings, they were most likely Frank's based, or perhaps with some other (lamer) hot sauce. What do you think is used in that sauce?

Frank's has an interesting history. Remember when it was Durkee's Frank's?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm confused. Have you had "Buffalo wings" before?  Did you like them? Because if they were traditional Buffalo wings, they were most likely Frank's based, or perhaps with some other (lamer) hot sauce. What do you think is used in that sauce?

That's like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.  Not knowing any better I assumed "real" wings used some sort of homemade sauce.  Not some off the shelf worse version of Tabasco.  Do you guys put ketchup on steak too?

However, I fully support the bleu cheese thing.

1 minute ago, Buffalo ill said:

That's like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.  Not knowing any better I assumed "real" wings used some sort of homemade sauce.  Not some off the shelf worse version of Tabasco.  Do you guys put ketchup on steak too?

Their BASE is Franks. There are other ingredients, too. But the biggest mistake a place can make, IMO, is getting too "creative" with the sauce.

I have only had a few of these but really usually stick with Duffs because they have always been consistent and I like a split of hot wings and the Char BQ, which are grilled. They also do a good job of making it easy for a party of 20+ people.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

It does not have to be franks but it must be a cayenne based sauce to be Buffalo, at least IMHO. Any other pepper base can be good but it should not be called Buffalo.

Mamosers was my favorite spot when I visited years back for games. Bar Bill has been a place on my list to try out next time I’m in town for sure. I’m adding Gabe’s to that list as of this post.

Living in the Southern Tier, and relatively close to Binghamton has so many places for wings, but few stand outs. The Old Union has gone to Buffalo and won awards for their Hot and Carolina Gold sauces, and are probably the best place down here to get true Buffalo style wings. A few little dive bars called The Belmar and House of Reardons can also do a pretty decent job- especially because they (like The Old Union) can get that crispiness factored in. 

if you ever find yourself on Seneca Lake and want amazing beer and like your Beef on Weck, check out Two Goats brewery- they literally only serve popcorn to snack on and BoW. They don’t offer much for food, but they get it right for sure.

Edited by KingBoots8

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This thread has me moist. Only thing I miss back home. Can find decent wings in NC but the trash they call blue cheese is vomit inducing. It's like straight mayonnaise 

I've reached the point where I'll buy a tub of crumbled blue cheese, pour a bunch in a bowl and then mix it up with something like Ken's Chunky Blue Cheese dressing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

This thread has me moist. Only thing I miss back home. Can find decent wings in NC but the trash they call blue cheese is vomit inducing. It's like straight mayonnaise 

Yeech!

Funny thing, the place that makes decent wings down here (but serves them whole, so you have to separate them yourself, which sucks) was supposed to have the absolute best blue cheese. When I finally went, I found their blue cheese to be sub ordinary. So I asked about it.  The owner/manager/whatever told me it cost a lot to make an very few people gave a damn. So they just went cheap.

On several occasions I questioned whether a restaurant actually gave me ranch, because there was no blue cheese taste, or chunks, to the dressing. "No, that's the blue cheese" they'd respond. Yeech!

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've reached the point where I'll buy a tub of crumbled blue cheese, pour a bunch in a bowl and then mix it up with something like Ken's Chunky Blue Cheese dressing.

Exactly what I do, Simon.  I may get a slightly better bottle from the dairy (Marzetti's for example) but definately add the crumbled blue cheese. But will use Kens or Kraft in a pinch. I actually like the big restaurant jugs of Kraft (can't remember which label).

One of the reasons I never really liked Marie's is because it tasted like mayo with chunks of blue cheese.  I like the dressing surrounding the blue cheese chunks to taste like blue cheese as well. 

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I love Gabriel’s Gate and Bar Bill, but I’ve got to tell you that the wings at Wagner’s in Lockport can go nub-to-nub with both of them. And their Beef-on-Weck is delicious as well.

If you find yourself in the Northtowns, do yourself a favor and check them out. I recommend Johnnie’s Special - a Beef-on-Weck and 5 wings.

You can thank me later. 

https://www.wagnersrestaurant.com/menu

I'm in S. Lockport and had no idea this place existed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Question, as I am not a native to WNY, which place would be best if you like a lot of sauce?  I've tried Duff's and Anchor Bar which were good but, I gotta be honest, I tried Mammosers one time, and I thought their wings were not very good at all.  Not much sauce and just kind of bland overall.

Bar Bills, no question. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

I agree too many places serve great wings for a two restaurant poll. This has already been done to death---typically by clueless outsiders (Food Channel, for instance), It's easy and mindless, IMO.

With that said, I much prefer Duffs, whose style is most like the flavor of most of the area's great wings, IMO. Anchor is "different". I suppose if you prefer that difference, you'd take Anchor.  Another reason is I like my wings SCREAMING hot (but still with the traditional Buffalo wing flavor). On that Duffs delivers while Anchor falls flat.

Outside of WNY (and to an extent in WNY too) the size of the wing really isn't a huge issue to me. I'll take a scrawny wing, properly cooked and sauced over a big flabby undercooked mild or off tasting wing any day.

Here’s a telling fact: On my recent trips to WNY for games I usually try to go to Duff’s, can’t get in and then eat at Anchor Bar. I still have a great meal, and no serious regrets. I’m just glad to be back “home” even though I never went to Anchor Bar growing up. Duff’s was just up the road and the beer was available to this 16-17 year old kid with older friends. Oh, and sometimes we had some great wings! 

I did take my boys to WNY for Bills games when they turned 16. A rite of passage, if you will. I took both of them to the Anchor Bar to eat. Beef on weck and wings! My oldest was there with me on the day of the USC/Notre Dame Reggie Bush Push game. A Classic!

We are heading with my wife, younger son and DIL to the opener. Don’t get in until Saturday due to a Friday wedding in Chicago. Very limited time so we have Niagara Falls on the list and we are trying to figure out what else to do. The DIL wants to go to the Anchor Bar because they were first and part of history….and she is a VEGETARIAN! (She can get a salad or something.) I have to respect that, and it keeps me out of some tofu joint! WIN/WIN!!! 

EDIT! I went with Duffs over Anchor Bar and Big Tree, the only other wings I’ve had on the list. A lot of my wings growing up were from small independent joints, surely long gone. Some place named Rosie’s (?) on the east side of Transit Rd in an old house out in East Amherst was my all-time favorite. 

Edited by Augie

10 hours ago, Rico said:

Stay away from Rochester, they serve puke on a plate there.

This is only case if you don't know where to go.

See- Wind Jammers by the lake, O'Cals on Monroe, Kithnos @ridge n clinton, some might say the Jeremiahs/MacGregors but they're hit or miss, Murphs in I-Town are up there and Sal's/ Country Sweet have their fans, Bobo's/ChurchBoyz/R's are some would say in the ghetto locations but are good if they know you're from the neighborhood.   There's a few other places depending on what Burb your in or what section of the city and depending on how down home or fancy you're trying to get.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.