• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

3 hours ago, Chicharito said:

Anyone reading this don’t go to duffs! Nothing special.

I concur, maybe it was at some point, but not in my last few visits.  Way too much vinegar taste in their hot sauce, totally turned me off.  Its seems cliche for natives to say that Anchor Bar is all reputation and no substance, but their wings are better than Duffs.  

Best Buffalo wings I ever had were actually Saratoga at a place called "Druthers" (micro-brew).

Edited by P Riv
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Gabriel's Gate picked up steam... Seems like a place to go.

Agreed.  I have three trips coming up.

1 - Training Camp at the Stadium - Duffs (With the kids - they have an arcade)

2 - Season Opener - Bar Bill (Night before)

3 - Texans Game - Gabriel's Gate (Night before)

3 minutes ago, P Riv said:

I concur, maybe it was at some point, but not in my last few visits.  Way too much vinegar taste in their hot sauce, totally turned me off.  Its seems cliche for natives to say that Anchor Bar is all reputation and no substance, but they're wings are better than Duffs.  

Best Buffalo wings I ever had were actually Saratoga at a place called "Druthers" (micro-brew).

There's a Druthers here in Schenectady now, right on the River, really nice place.  I havent tried the wings yet because too busy stuffing the fried pretzels and all in IPA down my throat

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, P Riv said:

I concur, maybe it was at some point, but not in my last few visits.  Way too much vinegar taste in their hot sauce, totally turned me off.  Its seems cliche for natives to say that Anchor Bar is all reputation and no substance, but they're wings are better than Duffs.  

I hate to get off topic ... but not enough to not go off topic ... I live in Queensbury and STILL have yet to try Druthers.  I've never heard about their wings; only about their many variations of mac-n-cheese.  I've had their beer, which is very good.  

Not sure if you're local-ish, but the best wings I've found up in this neck of the woods are at the Bullpen in Glens Falls.  The Hollow in Albany has fantastic wings, too, and they have an extra hot sauce that is not on the menu, but available if you ask your server.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

maybe that's it.  i assume the take out pizza places for the most part use frozen, because they have that chewy texture every single time.  i just assumed they were always rubbery, with or without the wing.

I grew up working in Buffalo pizza places and most did not use Frozen  

Unless there was some crazy deal on the Frozen wings

33 speakeasy

Bar bills 

Duffs 

Gabriel's Gate 

Good top 4 no order

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

The Nine-Eleven Tavern gets all the love from me. Anchor Bar is a tourist trap and once-in-a-blue moon has great wings, Duffs' original Williamsville location is excellent and pretty consistent, Bar Bill is good and has a wonderful vibe, but I find the wings there overcooked. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Is that the place with the open wall, facing the Mohawk River?

I'll have to check out their wings...

It is. Definitely check it out, the last couple times we've gone down there it's been hopping, probably the best place right around here to go have a couple pops and some food

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

So in your opinion, what makes them Buffalo Wings is the medium in which they're heated, not the end result?  The only things that can be called Buffalo Wings are deep fried in mel-fry, with sauce that is 4 parts Franks Red hot, 1 part butter?

seems rather limiting but if it's that important to you i guess

Deep fried. Bone-in un-breaded/non-coated wings. 

Sauced with a Frank's based sauce or other comparable Louisiana hot sauce. IMO there's a big difference between Franks and Crystal (for example} and other similar sauces, but I suppose they count, too . Minor variations are acceptable and what differentiate the various places being discussed.  Some use butter, some margarine. Some use a touch of other spices and ingredients. I'd say Anchor is grandfathered as they are the "original", but I'm not sure they use Franks, to be honest.

But I don't think anyone would consider grilled raspberry sauced wings "Buffalo Wings". Do you?

When you look at the list of the best known, and highest rated wings in Buffalo, they all pretty much follow these rules, wouldn't you say?

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would say the boneless wings from Applebees as probably the best.

😄

Now I have to edit my list above.

Edited by The Dean

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Many fans are making their first time trip to Buffalo this year and the most consistent question I see is “where is the best place to get wings?”   

If you have a strong opinion on this, please state the restaurant and why.  I will update the poll with each restaurant named.  

Also, feel free to add in any “must go to” places, food or not. 

I refuse to vote in any pole that includes Duffs as an option.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I grew up working in Buffalo pizza places and most did not use Frozen  

Unless there was some crazy deal on the Frozen wings

33 speakeasy

Bar bills 

Duffs 

Gabriel's Gate 

Good top 4 no order

19 minutes ago, otagoyellow said:

The Nine-Eleven Tavern gets all the love from me. Anchor Bar is a tourist trap and once-in-a-blue moon has great wings, Duffs' original Williamsville location is excellent and pretty consistent, Bar Bill is good and has a wonderful vibe, but I find the wings there overcooked. 

Added to the Poll.  Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I refuse to vote in any pole that includes Duffs as an option.

I mean, they technically sell wings. 

Make a vote.  Your voice matters.  Every Vote Counts!  Make American Great Again.  Yes we can!

• Haha (+1) 1

My vote would definitely be the original Bar-Bill (in East Aurora). Not only do they have great wings, but their beef on weck is excellent. I grew up right in that area and always loved to go there. We live outside the state now, but when we visit we make sure to hit that place everytime.

Edited by Buff the Cat

2 hours ago, SoMAn said:

The sauce is only part of it.  

The wings should be crisp.

It's a lot more than just sauce. 

This is what killed my experience at The National Chicken Wing Festival in Buffalo.  I watched as the wings, which were cooked in a central offsite location, came to the individual vendors in deep stainless steel trays.  Each vendor would then take pitchers of their sauce and pour it all over the wings.  Any crispiness was completely lost in this process.  Now I understand the risks of having dozens of vendors each having their own fryers all over the ballpark would probably not be practical.  But with these kind of results they might as well call it a chicken wing sauce festival.  

3 hours ago, teef said:

this really is the case.  i have 2 or 3 places by me that actually cook them to the proper crispiness every time, (other places will do it, but too hit or miss) and that's where we go to get wings.  take out wings, no matter how crispy i ask for them, are always rubbery.  every single time.  

The secret is when you order you spend 10 minutes on the phone saying extra extra extra extra extra... cripsy. They may spit on your food but damn it, you'll have crispy wings!:wub:

Alright who voted La Nova? We need to schedule a pillow fight.:bag:

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.