• Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

2 minutes ago, P Riv said:

The best wings in Buffalo is the worst reason to miss Beef on Weck.  You can get wings anywhere in the country and beyond, but true blue Buffalo Beef on Weck??? 

Tell out of town people before they get average wings somewhere and miss the good stuff.  Jus sayin.

What's the best place for that?

3 minutes ago, P Riv said:

The best wings in Buffalo is the worst reason to miss Beef on Weck.  You can get wings anywhere in the country and beyond, but true blue Buffalo Beef on Weck??? 

Tell out of town people before they get average wings somewhere and miss the good stuff.  Jus sayin.

I see what you did there

8 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

With many pizzerias printing new menus every few months because of soaring prices, wonder how long before prices for pizza and wings will be listed as "call for market prices"?

😒

A sheet 1-topping pizza and 50 wings is $88+tax at Bocce’s now 😳

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Anchor and Duff's were the first on the poll, so it skewed the results a bit.  However, I believe there is still some debate as to who was first; Anchor or Duffs

I believe Anchor was well before Duff's. There was a black owned restaurant making wings well before either (can't recall the name at the moment). But those were more BBQ flavored. Pretty good, though not real Buffalo-style wings, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly, how is One Eyed Jack's not on here for their grilled Raspberry BBQ Wings?  They are un-f**king-believable. Anyone who hasn't been there and tried them needs to go ASAP...South Lockport right north of the intersection of Transit and Robinson Rd after the Sunoco on the right. Not Buffalo style wings but they are fantastic nonetheless.

I assuming this is about BUFFALO Style wings. Grilled wings have NOTHING to do with Buffalo style wings, nor does a raspberry sauce.  They may be delicious, but it's a completely different dish.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

What's the best place for that?

Charlie's is very good. I'm a big fan of Glen Park Tavern on Main St in Williamsville.  My tip is to go to a place that has excellent wings and beef on weck. Mr Dee's (and Mr B's) used to be very good options for both. I believe Bar Bill has a beef, but have never tried it.  I'm sure those who are now local can give you some advice for places who do both well. Perhaps Gabriel's Gate?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I believe Anchor was well before Duff's. There was a black owned restaurant making wings well before either (can't recall the name at the moment). But those were more BBQ flavored. Pretty good, though not real Buffalo-style wings, IMO.

I assuming this is about BUFFALO Style wings. Grilled wings have NOTHING to do with Buffalo style wings, nor does a raspberry sauce.  They may be delicious, but it's a completely different dish.

Charlie's is very good. I'm a big fan of Glen Park Tavern on Main St in Williamsville.  My tip is to go to a place that has excellent wings and beef on weck. Mr Dee's (and Mr B's) used to be very good options for both. I believe Bar Bill has a beef, but have never tried it.  I'm sure those who are now local can give you some advice for places who do both well. Perhaps Gabriel's Gate?

It just said best wings in Buffalo as the title.  They are easily top 5. I might even put them 2nd.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I prefer Duff's, but I really like the inside of the Anchor Bar.  When I went to UB a hundred years ago and was broke, PJ Bottoms had 5 cent wings and they were damn good.  

PJ Bottoms does ring a bell. When were you in UB? I was there 1989-91. Found a job 2 hours away from BUffalo and used to visit almost every other weekend till 1995.

Other (cheap) memories: Movie theater near Amherst campus for $1 movies, bar next to it had cheap (cant remember prices) pitchers of beer and fish Fry on Fridays. A bar at the corner of Minnesota & Main which had $4 all-you-can drink between 7 and 10 pm. 

Oh those days!

Back to the original topic, I have a soft spot for Duffs as I was introduced to wings there, back in 1989. Still enjoy their wings.

Near the Chicago-land, the closest wings are in Mundelein (Franks for the memories)

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

I'll also let you rookies in on a secret...order them extra crispy.  Very few places (especially outside of Buffalo!) make properly crispy wings.  I've finally broken the takeout places near where I live and they make the wings correctly.  No, they insist, soggy slimy wings are what people want!

My wife will NOT get them any other way.  She ABUSES the wait staff until they either give in and leave them in the fryer longer or she orders something else.  I myself am not a extra crispy fan.  Having had wings from many on the list and MANY others in any other places I find it interesting to hear what people consider a great wing versus a good wing.

My top categories for ranking a wing are as follows and I am VERY interested to hear what yours are:

Meaty - none of the Buffalo Wild Wing tiny little wing that has been fried to death crap.  Meat on bone.

Saucy - I like em dripping in sauce.

HOT - personal preference of course but I like em HOT.  Not volcanic brain blowing HOT, just HOT wings.

Equal mix betwixt Drumettes and Wingettes - NO TIPS ever, tips are for servers.

Blue Cheese with Carrots - eff the celery, not a green fan - I like the carrots.  Those are rare now.....sigh. 

How do YOU like em????

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It just said best wings in Buffalo as the title.  They are easily top 5. I might even put them 2nd.

I'm sure a Chinese restaurant in WNY makes delicious wings. But that has nothing to do with Buffalo style wings. I'd put grilled strawberry wings in that very category. Flavorful chicken (any part) can be had all over the world. But when someone is discussing the best wings in Buffalo (and if you read further, you'd know he is looking for info for when he visits), you can be fairly certain they are talking about "Buffalo Wings". Dontcha think?

11 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Grilled wings are not a completely separate dish than fried wings.  Yes, they take more work, but every single person who has had my grilled wings says they're better than any they've had locally.  Granted this is the Capital Region where wings are pretty much garbage, but you're selling yourself short if you don't try them that way

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

My wife will NOT get them any other way.  She ABUSES the wait staff until they either give in and leave them in the fryer longer or she orders something else.  I myself am not a extra crispy fan.  Having had wings from many on the list and MANY others in any other places I find it interesting to hear what people consider a great wing versus a good wing.

My top categories for ranking a wing are as follows and I am VERY interested to hear what yours are:

Meaty - none of the Buffalo Wild Wing tiny little wing that has been fried to death crap.  Meat on bone.

HOT - personal preference of course but I like em HOT.  Not volcanic brain blowing HOT, just HOT wings.

Blue Cheese with Carrots - eff the celery, not a green fan - I like the carrots.  Those are rare now.....sigh. 

How do YOU like em????

One of the few places that make wings that approach Buffalo quality has a big negative. They serve the entire wing (tip and all) whole. You have to separate them yourself, while they are hot and saucy.  Really makes them far less enjoyable to eat, IMO.

Just now, Chicharito said:

Anyone reading this don’t go to duffs! Nothing special.

You seem to be in the minority on this take. 

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

Grilled wings are not a completely separate dish than fried wings.  Yes, they take more work, but every single person who has had my grilled wings says they're better than any they've had locally.  Granted this is the Capital Region where wings are pretty much garbage, but you're selling yourself short if you don't try them that way

And then there is smoking the Wings....a whole nuther dimension.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

How do YOU like em????

pretty much the same, tbh, though i like a touch of bbq, and extra heat, to go along with the Frank's

blue cheese is critical because again, probably 90% of the blue cheese out there is just terrible.  If you're not in Buffalo, your best bet is Rudy's, which as i said earlier, is available at some Wal Marts.  I decently crispy wing with enough sauce to cover, with a dollop of Rudy's on it is my happy place, especially at 12:45 on Sunday game day

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

I've had grilled wings many times. They can be good. But, pretty much by definition, they aren't Buffalo Wings, IMO. They are grilled wings with Buffalo sauce, or whatever.  Same thing with baked or breaded wings.   Are Kentucky Fried chicken wings a valid option for this poll? I think not.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I've had grilled wings many times. They can be good. But, pretty much by definition, they aren't Buffalo Wings, IMO. They are grilled wings with Buffalo sauce, or whatever.  Same thing with baked or breaded wings.   Are Kentucky Fried chicken wings a valid option for this poll? I think not.

So in your opinion, what makes them Buffalo Wings is the medium in which they're heated, not the end result?  The only things that can be called Buffalo Wings are deep fried in mel-fry, with sauce that is 4 parts Franks Red hot, 1 part butter?

seems rather limiting but if it's that important to you i guess

Bar bill are the best. Cajun medium sauce is unbelievable. 

Followed by Gabriel's gate, duffs, Elmo's in no order. 

How the hell does anchor bar have that many votes? Might as well go to buffalo wild wings. 

Edited by Process
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.