• Elmo's
    • Raintree Inn
    • La Nova
    • Gabriel's Gate
    • Nine-Eleven Tavern
    • The 33 Speakeasy Grill
    • Route78 Street Bar
    • Mr Goodbar

• Virgil changed the title to Best Wings in Buffalo (Poll updated with 10 options as of 2p est)
2 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Anchor bar is terrible. Cmon now 

Then what is top choice?  Rule #1, don't cast stones without offering a solution

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bar Bill.

And it ain't close.

You appear to no be alone in this thought.  I will have to add it to my Saturday menu before the season opener.  I'll make sure to get some extra sauce to bring to the tailgate.  I'm sure we can find a nice place to....play with it

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Then what is top choice?  Rule #1, don't cast stones without offering a solution

You appear to no be alone in this thought.  I will have to add it to my Saturday menu before the season opener.  I'll make sure to get some extra sauce to bring to the tailgate.  I'm sure we can find a nice place to....play with it

I've been going to the Bar Bill the night before the game for years and don't plan on stopping.  We'll exchange cell #'s before the opener and hope to connect at Bar Bill on Sat. evening.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've been going to the Bar Bill the night before the game for years and don't plan on stopping.  We'll exchange cell #'s before the opener and hope to connect at Bar Bill on Sat. evening.

Abso-*****-lutely

@GugnyWhen I google it, I'm seeing more than one.  Which one is better, or do you typically go to?

Edited by Virgil

Nobody in Buffalo seriously can think Anchor Bar has the best wings can they? The first wings, yes.  he best? Not by a longshot.  

Duff's are kind of hit or miss and location dependent....sometimes they are really good, other times ehh...

Bar Bill or Gabe's Gate are where it's at IMHO

15 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Anchor bar is terrible. Cmon now 

Exactly my thought...maybe it's people that haven't been there in like 10 years or something

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Nobody in Buffalo seriously can think Anchor Bar has the best wings can they? The first wings, yes.  he best? Not by a longshot.  

Duff's are kind of hit or miss and location dependent....sometimes they are really good, other times ehh...

Bar Bill or Gabe's Gate are where it's at IMHO

Anchor and Duff's were the first on the poll, so it skewed the results a bit.  However, I believe there is still some debate as to who was first; Anchor or Duffs

19 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Do you remember Rootie's Tap Room? That was near the Amherst campus. Great deals and terrific wings.. I miss that place.

Outstanding post.

What I tend to do these days here  in Florida is take out naked crispy wings and sauce them myself at home. I used to bring in my own sauce to some places and ask them to use my sauce for the wings. Strangely I rarely had an issue with the staff. I also brought in extra sauce so they could have some, too. 

And unlike Gungy I like my wings served wet. Another plus for Duffs in my book. Under-sauced wings don't do it for me. I can deal with a little puddle if need be,

I remember that one vaguely.  We used to go to PJ's, Third Base ($5 all you can drink on Thursdays), Sutters Mill (had really good wings too), Molly's, The Steer (not that often becuase that was a Frat Boy bar), Mickey Rats, The Library (can't remember the name of the bar upstairs), Cassidy's (Freddie's Special!!!) until that burned my junior year.  We would also sometimes go down to Rude Boys.    

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Anchor and Duff's were the first on the poll, so it skewed the results a bit.  However, I believe there is still some debate as to who was first; Anchor or Duffs

Perhaps there is a 3rd??

PAVILLION WINGS

More recently, we received a tip of yet another origin story: Pavillion Wings. Pavillion wings come from Pavillion, NY, a small town about an hour east of Buffalo and date to the 1950s.

Thomas Snyder recalls:

"The true origin of the chicken wing as a food item is that it began in the early 1950's in Pavilion NY by my grandfather, Robert Reinhart. His recipe for chicken wings covered with a sauce made of hot sauce and butter was given to the Anchor Bar by a friend he had in common with the owners of the Anchor Bar. Chicken wings were not invented by the Anchor Bar though it has been believed by the entire world to be so, except for those decedents of my grandfather and some residents of Pavilion who know the truth. I asked my mother and a couple of her siblings and they all told me it is absolutely true that he started making them in the 50's and the recipe was passed on to the Anchor."

Snyder went on to verify the recipe: chicken wings, Frank’s hot sauce, and lard. He says they sold them from a roadside stand, located in front of his grandfather’s shop, the Red & White.

https://www.buffalobiketours.com/blog/bestwings#thetruth

• Like (+1) 1

I love Duff's, but not going to vote for them since that's the only place I've been to and don't want to vote by default.  I've been to a friend of a friend's restaurant that I vaguely recall had good wings once or twice on the way home from a game but don't remember the name of the place.

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When I lived in Buffalo, I made exactly one trip to the Anchor Bar.

The wings were soggy. Awful. Just awful wings.

Bar Bill, and Duff's, are top shelf.

I cook my own wings at every tailgate, in peanut oil. I use a 20" Wok, for the deep fryer.

- Good as anything out there! 🙂

as long as we're sharing homebrew approaches, i've settled on grilling wings.  I start from frozen, put them on a hot grill, sprinkle Goya seasoning (the red kind in the foil packets) on them, and turn them over, a lot, at least every 5 minutes.  They take usually around 40 minutes until the skin is crispy but the meat is still moist.  Take them off, toss them is Franks Red Hot with a touch of sweet BBQ and some home made smoke powder (jalapenos & habaneros smoked for a couple hours, dried in the dehydrator, then ground fine) and serve with Rudy's BC, which they've started selling at Wal Marts in the Capital Region

3 minutes ago, Irv said:

I remember that one vaguely.  We used to go to PJ's, Third Base ($5 all you can drink on Thursdays), Sutters Mill (had really good wings too), Molly's, The Steer (not that often becuase that was a Frat Boy bar), Mickey Rats, The Library (can't remember the name of the bar upstairs), Cassidy's (Freddie's Special!!!) until that burned my junior year.  We would also sometimes go down to Rude Boys.    

Good call on Sutters!  Cheap beer, good wings, darts, and Danny the bartender was a great guy

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

as long as we're sharing homebrew approaches, i've settled on grilling wings.  I start from frozen, put them on a hot grill, sprinkle Goya seasoning (the red kind in the foil packets) on them, and turn them over, a lot, at least every 5 minutes.  They take usually around 40 minutes until the skin is crispy but the meat is still moist.  Take them off, toss them is Franks Red Hot with a touch of sweet BBQ and some home made smoke powder (jalapenos & habaneros smoked for a couple hours, dried in the dehydrator, then ground fine) and serve with Rudy's BC, which they've started selling at Wal Marts in the Capital Region

Now that I'm fully vaccinated, I trust that as soon as the borders open you'll be having me over for dinner?  I'll bring beer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Good call on Sutters!  Cheap beer, good wings, darts, and Danny the bartender was a great guy

I actually went to Third Base a couple of years ago but I think it closed last time I swung by.  Are both PJ's and Third Base still closed?

I just don't get the love for Duff's.  I think they are terrible.  Though, I will confess I didn't grow up on Duffs.  I've had them a number of times on trips home, over the last 30 years, and I have never once been impressed.

I know many seem to loath Anchor Bar, but I think they are at least pretty good sometimes, though erratic.  I prefer Gabriels Gate or Bar Bill. 

Edited by Buftex

Honestly, how is One Eyed Jack's not on here for their grilled Raspberry BBQ Wings?  They are un-f**king-believable. Anyone who hasn't been there and tried them needs to go ASAP...South Lockport right north of the intersection of Transit and Robinson Rd after the Sunoco on the right. Not Buffalo style wings but they are fantastic nonetheless.

Edited by Big Turk

The best wings in Buffalo is the worst reason to miss Beef on Weck.  You can get wings anywhere in the country and beyond, but true blue Buffalo Beef on Weck??? 

Tell out of town people before they get average wings somewhere and miss the good stuff.  Jus sayin.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.