Who is “America’s team?” (Hint, it’s GB)

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If we are in the big game chances these next two years, I fully believe we could be the next America's team.  Media loves our players personalities and I think that means something.  You put some wins in there to go with our perennial underdog persona and I think we have a chance

Oh, I think a lot of people like the Bills around the country and are interested to see them do well, mostly because it is a change of pace. But I just don't think it's possible for the Bills to ever have that many actual fans. After 20 years of dominant NFL play and tons of Superbowl appearances and wins, the Patriots have not even eclipsed the Cowboys in sheer number of fans, and they have a much larger metro area to pull from.

I think to whole "America's Team" thing is a joke, anyway. There isn't a single team that doesn't have a large group of haters.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

If they lose Adams and Rodgers, they will be Walmart’s team 

I’m not so sure. Starr, Favre, Rogers is a nice list. Lots of yuck between Starr & Favre but John Facenda made them America’s team years and years ago.

2 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

2.  What screams 'Merica more than Red, White and Blue unis?  Green and Gold ??

Winning

it

all

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

They are my sleeper team to challenge the Bucs this year.  Stafford and McVay, with those weapons, seem like a very dangerous combination to me.

I know this isn't discussing the OP's topic at hand, but as soon as they made the trade for Stafford, I immediately said they will be the team to beat in the NFC.  Stafford deserves the supporting cast he's been given and I'm excited to see what he does.  Bills-Rams is my SB prediction.

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

Forget Dallas, never has been, never will be. Too many fans in both leagues loathe the cowboys (sorry CGF) for them to be in consideration.

Then, take a look at GB. We have our very own Ice Bowl who visits us from time to time and is a great ambassador for Green Bay. Small town America is Green Bay. Then look at the plethora of Green Bay threads on this very board.  GB is America’s team because they are the second team to many fans.

I personally love seeing such a quaint place as the center of the NFL universe. How about you?

Their financial value, merchandise sales, and ratings says the Cowboys are not to mention the hour a day first take on ESPN would spend on Daks contract 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

The Cowboys are, mainly because they were the only team televised Nationally for awhile and were also really good during that time period.  Many people around in their 50s, 60s and 70s right now are Cowboys fans due to that exposure.  Itll really fade over the next couple decades though.  Especially since they have been groping around for a long time with little success.

The Packers is a good one.  Besides people in maybe Chicago and Minnesota, I dont think many people really dislike the Packers.  A lot of people probably pull for them over other, more 'metropolitan' teams.  They have a pretty long and wholesome history, and kicked off the Superbowl era.

Edited by May Day 10

Here's how I would wager

Buffalo as America's team 

You can go to all 50 states, and find thousands of transplants from Buffalo 

All 50 states have bills backer bars , Bill's message boards are the most active in the NFL.. 

There's a lot of people like ice bowl who consider the bills their AFC team 

And we are red white and blue

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They have been lucky enough to basically have a winning team for decades. They have tons of bandwagon fans. 1-2 years of bad play they won’t be anywhere near a popular team 

I think it would take a little longer than 1 or 2 years... but I do remember the period between Lombardi and Favre (or maybe Majkowski) where they were as irrelevant as an NFL team could be.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I think it would take a little longer than 1 or 2 years... but I do remember the period between Lombardi and Favre (or maybe Majkowski) where they were as irrelevant as an NFL team could be.  

Didn’t take long for a good portion of patriot fans to jump ship to Tampa or KC. Green Bay similar to buffalo has a die hard core group of fans who will live and die with the team no matter what, but they have a ton of fair weather fans cause they’re an easy pick to the playoffs every year. Don’t get me wrong every team has it but the longer you win the worse the fan base is. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are North America's team is all that matters.

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Those Bledsoe/Losman/Edwards/Holcomb era uniforms are something I try everyday to forget. I wish I could erase them from history. 

Those were the best uniforms, navy blue all the way

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

Forget Dallas, never has been, never will be. Too many fans in both leagues loathe the cowboys (sorry CGF) for them to be in consideration.

Then, take a look at GB. We have our very own Ice Bowl who visits us from time to time and is a great ambassador for Green Bay. Small town America is Green Bay. Then look at the plethora of Green Bay threads on this very board.  GB is America’s team because they are the second team to many fans.

I personally love seeing such a quaint place as the center of the NFL universe. How about you?

I didn't know overdramatic diva millionaires were so central to small town USA.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

If you go by sheer numbers, it probably IS the Cowboys. They have a large national following. This site lists the Cowboys first in Facebook followers with more than 8 million (Buffalo had less than a million, and Green Bay had 5 million):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240028/facebook-fans-of-national-football-league-teams/

This site lists the Cowboys 1st for social media following, Packers are 4th:

https://www.wsn.com/nfl/least-most-popular-nfl-teams-facebook/#gref

This site shows TV ratings by team and the Cowboys are #1 there are well:

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2020/top-rated-nfl-games-1234616911/

So, while I don't like the Cowboys personally, the data show that they are probably the most popular team in the nation. And I'm sure they bring in the most money for the NFL too.

That being said, people love to root for the underdog.

Our followers are on BILLS Mafia

LOL, I turned on the tv and espn 2 went on because of the nhl draft. F***ers had a top ten list with this Lou commentating after a girl read off the names. It went like this.... #4 Stephan Diggs......then nothing!!! Lou said nothing finally the girl said something very briefly and they went on.....LOL.....

i still say the Bills are popular National If a fan poll were to be taken... favorite second team in the NFL....

i dont have one personally. I wanted to make it the rams but they're crazy and that injury to their RB was huge. Just a huge loss for them. I like the whole nfc west both as a fan and I think they're very good; all four teams. I loved SF's front four but they too are messed-up. They couldn't retain their DT, lost two to injury, who knows?but they're a defense comes first team and I love that. Seattle is OK and has Warner. AZ. is really exciting this year with the old guys. 

I think the Bills are a full notch ahead of these four teams but the whole NFC West is playoff caliber.

i used to like the packers a bit because they're not owned, but I really don't like whiny, complaining, it's not my fault, rogers.

America LOVES watching Josh Allen and the Bills.  I can’t tell you how many friends of mine (who are not Bills fans but know what a diehard I am) have told me how much fun the Bills are to watch now.  The news has gotten out — Josh Allen and the Bills are must-see TV.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I think their uniforms are good. I think the worst uniforms are: Browns (they have been getting better though), Jaguars (a couple years ago when they had that matte, two-toned helmet was hideous), Bengals, and Washington. I'm not a big fan of the new Rams uniforms and logo. I hate the neon green in the Seahawks uniforms.

Disagree on Washington, but agree on the rest. The new Rams unis are the worst by far.