Bills currently tied for 3rd in Vegas odds to win Super Bowl

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Mayfield was a polished QB in college at a major program and had great coaching and first round draft picks surrounding him his whole career there...

Allen was a castoff at a terrible program surrounded by bums and coaches that weren't very good.

I just don't see Mayfield as being anything other than a good game manager. He didn't get the job done at any point last year where they put the ball in his hands and said go win is this game.

Allen basically had the ball in his hands most of the games and they threw almost every play in some of them not even trying to run it. 

I understand why you feel that way.  As I live in Cleveland, I would offer this perspective:

2018:  Baker Mayfield came in to Hue Jackson as HC, followed by Gregg Williams when he really started to light it up.

2019:  HC Freddy Kichens was a disaster and that offense took a huge step back, not just Mayfield.

2020:  HC Stefanski got things straightened out, Mayfield was about 70% game manager, 30% leader due to that punishing ground game of theirs.  I thought Baker was very composed in the playoffs until late in KC.  That was his first year there and the Browns could have taken KC.  

Now Baker will finally have the same coaching staff for the second year in a row.  I expect him to take that long overdue leap, but it may not happen that often because of that ground game they have.  This is the year to see if he's the real deal.  I think he is, but he's a different QB from Allen.  I think Allen will always be considered the better QB in terms of putting a team on his back because his scrambling makes him a more complete player.  Mayfield's smart and a slightly quicker decision maker.  Probably will be slightly more accurate also.

Browns have strong OL, dominant running game and dominant D-line.  Strong receivers also.  They've spent the offseason retooling LB and DB through FA and draft.  It's between us, KC and CLE.  I do believe barring significant injury CLE can take KC, and us too if we don't respect them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Barring some unlucky injuries or COVID shenanigans the Bills are absolutely competing for a ring this season, anything less than the AFCCG again would be a tremendous disappointment.  KC still scares the bejeezus out of me but nobody else in the AFC should be favored against the Bills.

Maybe Beane looked at everything very closely and thinks the Bills are not ready to dethrone the chefs? Our offseason certainly reflects that as the Bills while looking improved (Sanders vs. injured Smoke, and we added the whole draft w/o really losing anybody of value but our KR/PR.) still don't matchup vs. the chefs very well.

I think perhaps Beane is looking to next season when our young defense will have more experience (Tremaine and Ed, but especially AJ, Groot, Basham And others while Jerry, Addison, and star come off the books....

Can Star, Groot And Basham really raise the level of our defense this year???!!!

Can our talent remain healthy for the playoffs????!!! Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie and the sixth?

Do we sign Ertz giving us one more big chip? I hope yes, but I didn't look at the books closely for next season. Maybeif we don't sign him this year we can add a blue chip defender (a pass rusher) when one becomes available?

Can Knox take a huge step? You gotta give him an attaboy for trying as hard as Allen does.

Could Allen be even better than last year???? I think he can. Fine tune the line title things while gaining even more confidence in himself; becoming nearly unstoppable with the modern rules and his good teammates.

These are the big questions for this year and some for next....

but think about next season with our OL still in tact, AJ, Groot and Boogie coming into their own. Another draft to draft. Star, Jerry and Addison coming off the books. That's a ton of cash.... Gotta replace Star but still.

We need a DT, CB, for the D and maybe for the O a RB, and WR (probably). Maybe a star pass rusher still but maybe not?

We have this whole very exciting year to play; I concede nothing to anybody. We have Josh Allen perhaps still on a upwards arc and no one does.

But next season promises to be equally exciting. (I sure hope we drafted well!)

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Billl said:

What difference does that make today?  They are four years removed from college.  I think it's safe to say that Allen's college WRs aren't factored into the Superbowl odds.

In terms of room to grow...I still think Allen has another level he can get to that Mayfield doesn't.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

The thing I like about flats is that I can get 100% of the meat off the bones every time.  Not the case with the drums.

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Agree, like them as is, nothing else required.

With drums, I need 1 blue cheese per two drums. I have to wait till when no one's looking at parties if eating them to snag a blue cheese to myself and wander off. 

Like a mouse with cheese.

and seriously, guys, I am not trying to start a war here with others but bonus points to both of you and on top of that isn’t the drum meat a little bit tougher, in general, than the flats?

Flat meat just comes off the bones easier and is so tender.  And yeah, Gugn, just grab one edge between your teeth and pull it all off. 

…take a wild guess what I am hungry for right now*?

* “right now” and “always” mean the same thing to me.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 3

As far as Cleveland goes you can argue about the rosters but it is close and the most important position is QB and I think the Bills have it; hands down.

Not only that but we're the only team that has Stephon Diggs. This is another huge advantage.

Cleveland's lines may be better than our but the important thing to know about Buffalo's OL is it is superb at protecting Allen. That's what counts as far as Buffalo goes.

And while it is very important to have the lines, the Bills have better LBs and a better secondary to boot.

Buffalo can stop even the Browns run game if it is the playoffs and Cleveland will be out of the run game soon anyhow when Allen scores TDs. Do not let Allen's playoff sort of slump fool you, Buffalo's important skill players were all injured, all of them! Even Brady stinks when you take away his skill against playoff caliber defenses. And Allen was missing his #2 most of last season, maybe the whole season it could be said as Brown was often just a decoy. Watch Allen if he gets to go fourwide this year with a healthy Diggs, Sanders, Beasley and Davis. We are definitely going to be electrifying. Better than last season; watch.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

As far as Cleveland goes you can argue about the rosters but it is close and the most important position is QB and I think the Bills have it; hands down.

Not only that but we're the only team that has Stephon Diggs. This is another huge advantage.

Cleveland's lines may be better than our but the important thing to know about Buffalo's OL is it is superb at protecting Allen. That's what counts as far as Buffalo goes.

And while it is very important to have the lines, the Bills have better LBs and a better secondary to boot.

Buffalo can stop even the Browns run game if it is the playoffs and Cleveland will be out of the run game soon anyhow when Allen scores TDs. Do not let Allen's playoff sort of slump fool you, Buffalo's important skill players were all injured, all of them! Even Brady stinks when you take away his skill against playoff caliber defenses. And Allen was missing his #2 most of last season, maybe the whole season it could be said as Brown was often just a decoy. Watch Allen if he gets to go fourwide this year with a healthy Diggs, Sanders, Beasley and Davis. We are definitely going to be electrifying. Better than last season; watch.

Go Bills!

Amen 🙏🏻 to that !!! 
GO BILLS BABY !!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Dammed if I can find a website that spells using semaphore. 🤔

Have to settle for this: 🙁

image.thumb.jpeg.63494fe121000c53aea3960a51c9df07.jpeg

Ok, you must have photoshopped that one as too funny.  Roy was funny on the Be….y, E..z.  Thing.  Can’t say the words as it like Beattlejuice.  Say them three times and you get banned.  

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Mayfield was a polished QB in college at a major program and had great coaching and first round draft picks surrounding him his whole career there...

Allen was a castoff at a terrible program surrounded by bums and coaches that weren't very good.

I just don't see Mayfield as being anything other than a good game manager. He didn't get the job done at any point last year where they put the ball in his hands and said go win is this game.

Allen basically had the ball in his hands most of the games and they threw almost every play in some of them not even trying to run it. 

The way I look at it is Baker can take half the game off by handing the ball off. Josh Allen does not have that luxury

19 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

The way I look at it is Baker can take half the game off by handing the ball off. Josh Allen does not have that luxury

The way I look at it is nobody in their right mind would want Allen handing the ball off half the game. This isn't 1970. Running the ball is pretty much an analytically wasted play these days.

The fact that some think that's a good idea with Mayfield says all you need to know.

Edited by Big Turk

6 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Why is the whole NFC West on equal footing?

Considering the strength of the division, it seems that the winner will Not have much home field advantage in the playoffs.  Seems the winner will not have more than 12 wins, maybe fewer.

I'm not saying who is going to have the better record. I'm saying they are good teams.

5 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I'm not saying who is going to have the better record. I'm saying they are good teams.

okay.  but the thread is about odds to win the superbowl, which is why they cant all be tied for 4th since they are in the same division.

8 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why is Miami so high??

Crockett and Tubbs couldn't stop all  the 'blow' coming into Miami.

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Third behind Tampa and KC seems fair not sure at San Francisco is so high. 

There they favour psychedelics.  Remember all those west coast hippy types you saw on 'Dragnet'?  It was worse in San Fran.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They are stacked everywhere. If Mayfield improves they’ll be a really rough out. 

he doesn't really need to improve much from week 7 through the playoffs 12 weeks altogether he was at 20 td -3 int with 100 qb rating.

12 hours ago, Putin said:

I guess you don’t need a QB to be considered a SB contender 

i mean nick foles, eli manning, joe flacco have won the SB in the last 12 years

We always complain about being underrated.  They got us pegged right IMHO.  Pass rush remains a concern and KC shredded us.  TB12 is a god when he's not pressured.  Third seems right.

And yet, even with the Bills pegged right, we seem to find things to complain about.  Can we not just be happy, or failing that, content?

Edited by The Red King