Any word on Burton and Hooker as potential FA possibilities?

Wizard

I think the Bills would benefit from giving Trey Burton and Malik Hooker a look. Burton played with Trubisky and seems like a good #2 TE that has had some success in the league. I loved Hooker coming out of college. Seems to have a nose for the ball and could really benefit from learning from great vets like Hyde and Poyer, and at 25, maybe a scenery change and a coach like Frazier can get something more out of them.

Thoughts? I think they may add depth and some upside fairly cheaply.  And, any idea why these guys don’t have a training camp invite?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Wasn't that long ago when people were falling all over themselves over Hooker. Just goes to show how unpredictable and difficult scouting can be. 

I believe the injuries have stalled out his career more than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I had my fingers crossed that the Bills would take a flier on Malik Hooker.

He had immense talent coming out and it's only injuries that have derailed his career. He seemed like the PERFECT low cost, low risk, high reward signing to be coach McDermott's latest safety reclamation project.

Alas, he is signing with Dallas. I wish him all the best. Injuries alone should never be the reason that a player doesn't succeed.

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

I believe the injuries have stalled out his career more than anything else. 

Yeah. I just remember hearing his name a lot during the draft, and this thread was the first time I've heard it in quite some time. I forgot about the guy. He has talent that's for sure. Hopefully he can get healthy. 

While Hooker might have been a good option, the best FA safety signing the Bills didn't make was on Dean Marlowe, who actually was on the team last year and played well.  I never heard the reason why Marlowe left.  Could have been he got more money of course, or maybe he just wanted to find a situation where he could start.  Not much chance of that with Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, Wizard said:

I think the Bills would benefit from giving Trey Burton and Malik Hooker a look. Burton played with Trubisky and seems like a good #2 TE that has had some success in the league. I loved Hooker coming out of college. Seems to have a nose for the ball and could really benefit from learning from great vets like Hyde and Poyer, and at 25, maybe a scenery change and a coach like Frazier can get something more out of them.

Thoughts? I think they may add depth and some upside fairly cheaply.  And, any idea why these guys don’t have a training camp invite?

Button seems like he’s on the downside of his career.  The Bills want to give most of the TE snaps to Knox and Hollister.  I think they are good with Tommy Sweeney or Reggie Gillian at the 3rd TE spot.  Adding a player like Burton doesn't make much sense