Speculation that Aaron Rodgers will announce retirement (update - now indicates he plans to play for GB)

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Such a strange situation. I hope more QB's don't try the same thing with their organizations. Just do your job as a QB and don't believe that you deserve to have input on every single hire, draft pick, play call, etc. That's not your job.

The phrase "every single" is too strong.

I have opinion if you have a long term franchise QB then he should have input on hires of QB coach especially and OC but not be decision maker,

He should have input into play calls (as Daboll gets from Allen) both in off season when playbook is created and in games especially when things are not going well and it is not issue of QB forcing it.

In terms of roster (picks and players kept) again should have input into offense skill players but unless a QB is willing to take a cut (not restructure) GM will dominate discussion for the players will always want office to spend as much money as possible but it is GM's job to manage money for season and future.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Such a strange situation. I hope more QB's don't try the same thing with their organizations. Just do your job as a QB and don't believe that you deserve to have input on every single hire, draft pick, play call, etc. That's not your job.

I mean, I'll agree that the organization didn't always do the right thing to put Rodgers in a position to win, but if you have issues, deal with them in-house and discretely, not in interviews or with social media. I'm not a Brady fan, but he did those types of things the right way. I'm sure his exit from NE included a ton of behind-the-scenes drama that we'll never know the extent of.

Rodgers tried to do things in-house.  It obviously didn't work.

And this won't become a thing with QBs, just the elite, 1st ballot Hall of Fame ones entering in the twilight of their careers that want to win.

Brady was able to talk the Bucs into signing Antonio Brown.  I doubt Rodgers was asking much in comparison.

24 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Brady was able to talk the Bucs into signing Antonio Brown.  I doubt Rodgers was asking much in comparison.

Hey Bucs you want to take away the attention from all of my cheating and other scandals?  I have just the man for you.

Also mentions Hyde

Also, I wanted to help the organization maybe learn from some of the mistakes in the past, in my opinion, about the way some of the outgoing veterans were treated and just the fact that we didn’t retain a number of players that I feel like were core players to our foundation, our locker room. High character guys, I’m talking about Charles Woodson, Jordy Nelson, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Randall Cobb, James Jones, John Kuhn, Brett Goode, TJ Lang, Bryan Bulaga, Casey Heyward, Micah Hyde. Guys who were exceptional players for us, great locker room guys, high character guys, many of them whom weren’t offered a contract at all or were extremely low-balled or were maybe, in my opinion, not given the respect on the way out that guys of their status and stature and high character deserve. And, then it kind of progressed from there into a commitment for the 2021 season and beyond, that really wasn’t given at any time.

On 7/27/2021 at 12:19 PM, Limeaid said:

The phrase "every single" is too strong.

I have opinion if you have a long term franchise QB then he should have input on hires of QB coach especially and OC but not be decision maker,

He should have input into play calls (as Daboll gets from Allen) both in off season when playbook is created and in games especially when things are not going well and it is not issue of QB forcing it.

In terms of roster (picks and players kept) again should have input into offense skill players but unless a QB is willing to take a cut (not restructure) GM will dominate discussion for the players will always want office to spend as much money as possible but it is GM's job to manage money for season and future.

Players don't know anything about constructing teams. I am glad that Josh's stance is that it isn't his job and he trusts Beane completely.

We need a lot fewer LeBron James and Aaron Rodgers types who think that being skilled at a sport suddenly makes them some kind of supreme front office mind. The vast majority of the time a former great player is put in a GM role, in any sport, he ends up as a complete failure.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Players don't know anything about constructing teams. I am glad that Josh's stance is that it isn't his job and he trusts Beane completely.

We need a lot fewer LeBron James and Aaron Rodgers types who think that being skilled at a sport suddenly makes them some kind of supreme front office mind. The vast majority of the time a former great player is put in a GM role, in any sport, he ends up as a complete failure.

Let me preface by saying that I think Aaron Rodgers is one of the biggest douches in all of sports.

That said, the way I'm interpreting everything that he's saying (when context is actually provided) indicates that all he's wanted is some dialogue prior to making moves that directly impact the offense.  I don't think he's asking to make the decisions ... just to be part of the thought process.

Like him or not, I do think he's earned that right as an imminent first ballot HOFer and a SB Champion who's played his entire career with Green Bay.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Let me preface by saying that I think Aaron Rodgers is one of the biggest douches in all of sports.

That said, the way I'm interpreting everything that he's saying (when context is actually provided) indicates that all he's wanted is some dialogue prior to making moves that directly impact the offense.  I don't think he's asking to make the decisions ... just to be part of the thought process.

Like him or not, I do think he's earned that right as an imminent first ballot HOFer and a SB Champion who's played his entire career with Green Bay.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think any player, no matter how talented or tenured, should have any say in personnel decisions. It isn't his job.

Also, what if they said "ok Aaron, what's your suggestion?" and then they decide to do something different, do you think Rodgers would be cool with that, or would he spaz out like a 13 year old?

I'll even give an example: the loss of Jake Kumerow, whom Rodgers somehow views as a WR2. If Kumerow is Rodgers' idea of an ideal second option after Adams, yeah, don't let him influence anything.

Edited by Boxcar

6 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't think any player, no matter how talented or tenured, should have any say in personnel decisions. It isn't his job.

Also, what if they said "ok Aaron, what's your suggestion?" and then they decide to do something different, do you think Rodgers would be cool with that, or would he spaz out like a 13 year old?

I don't think he was looking for that question ("what's your suggestion?") to be asked.  I think he was simply looking for input, which is different.  

The notion of employees being part of the decision-making process is not foreign, nor is it unwise.

Perhaps the arrogance of GB's decision makers is the reason that Green Bay has had two of the best QBs of all time for the past two decades-plus and only have two rings in that span.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought his arguments were well founded.  He was clearly ready for that and what he wanted to say.  He swayed my opinion.  I particularly liked how he said I am not a victim here.  I have made a lot of money.  That just might have been the most composed and rational argument I have ever heard from any athlete defending their position.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

This is just so weird. Of all the demands, you demand Randall Cobb?! I feel it’s more about asserting his power/dominance at this point. If he was going to demand a WR, why wouldn’t he make it a good one? 

Who else was really out there?  I was surprised Cobb's only 30 years old.  Texans agreed to pay three million of his salary this year and there's no financial penalty for cutting him after this season.  Rodgers and him had good chemistry.