Speculation that Aaron Rodgers will announce retirement (update - now indicates he plans to play for GB)

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Has anymore information come out about what this feud really about?  I know the drafting of Love didn't help, but what the hell was so egregious? 

I think this has been building over time with personnel decisions and especially when the new coaching staff came in. Ted Thompson and McCarthy managed his ego fairly well, but Ted and Mike are both long gone. You're now seeing the type of arrogance he has always had, just not blanketed anymore by those who catered to him, in their own way, like with the previous regime. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

This year it was Russell Wilson too.   It was the same year.   Everyone and their mother predicted at least 11 QBs would change teams.  Clickbait.

An individuals power, especially when they are under contract is an illusion.  The only way they have power is if ownership caves.   Rodgers' wont have power until 2024, when he is 41 years old.  Unless he stinks before then.  I am not sure who in their right mind thought the Packers were going to trade the guy and take a 22 million dollar cap hit.  It would have been idiotic.

I don’t disagree with your take, but how much of a cap hit did the Rams take trading Goff?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t disagree with your take, but how much of a cap hit did the Rams take trading Goff?

The Rams were glad to take the hit because they were moving someone they thought was substandard.  Big difference between paying to get rid of someone, and losing both a Hall of Famer and 22 million dollars in one move.

So Rodgers comes back for his swan song with the Packers, and Green Bay essentially agrees to trade him after the season.  Interesting conclusion to this drama.  Now, where does Rodgers go in 2022?  New Orleans with Payton?  Denver?  Miami?  Philly?  I’d have to think Green Bay doesn’t want to trade him within the NFC but they may not have a choice.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

So Rodgers comes back for his swan song with the Packers, and Green Bay essentially agrees to trade him after the season.  Interesting conclusion to this drama.  Now, where does Rodgers go in 2022?  New Orleans with Payton?  Denver?  Miami?  Philly?  I’d have to think Green Bay doesn’t want to trade him within the NFC but they may not have a choice.

I think this was always a likely outcome. He is the Denver QB next year I suspect. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Rams were glad to take the hit because they were moving someone they thought was substandard.  Big difference between paying to get rid of someone, and losing both a Hall of Famer and 22 million dollars in one move.

I get it, in fact I agree with your point, but then the issue isn’t the cap hit, it’s the quality of the player in question

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this was always a likely outcome. He is the Denver QB next year I suspect. 

Just because it was likely doesn’t make it any less interesting.  If I’m a Green Bay fan I’m not thrilled.  How motivated is Aaron this season?  How likely is it he will try to “get along” with LaFleur?  He will get his payday with the next team regardless of what he does this year, and Love is clearly not ready or Green Bay would have already traded Rodgers.  This season has a “meh” feel all around if you’re Green Bay.

I hope Rodgers goes to Denver.  Let the Broncos, Chiefs, and Bolts beat each other up.

The outcome while not obvious seems to work out for all parties involved. The Packers get one more year of Rodgers than a haul of picks in 2022. Rodgers gets out of Green Bay and gets to pick his destination (as it will be far easier for teams to trade for him at the beginning of the offseason) while also not risking missing out on the 2021 season.

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Denver has to be the front runner, wouldn’t be shocked to see some other candidates emerge but Denver just makes too much sense.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Just because it was likely doesn’t make it any less interesting.  If I’m a Green Bay fan I’m not thrilled.  How motivated is Aaron this season?  How likely is it he will try to “get along” with LaFleur?  He will get his payday with the next team regardless of what he does this year, and Love is clearly not ready or Green Bay would have already traded Rodgers.  This season has a “meh” feel all around if you’re Green Bay.

I hope Rodgers goes to Denver.  Let the Broncos, Chiefs, and Bolts beat each other up.

Indeed Green Bay's season could end up a real mess. And if it does Rodgers will blame everyone else. Like he always does.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Has anymore information come out about what this feud really about?  I know the drafting of Love didn't help, but what the hell was so egregious? 

It did not start with Love.  He has had front office and coaching issues for a while.  When the Packers replaced OC he felt that Alex Van Pelt should have gotten job not Joe Philbin and was very vocal about it.  

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

This year it was Russell Wilson too.   It was the same year.   Everyone and their mother predicted at least 11 QBs would change teams.  Clickbait.

An individuals power, especially when they are under contract is an illusion.  The only way they have power is if ownership caves.   Rodgers' wont have power until 2024, when he is 41 years old.  Unless he stinks before then.  I am not sure who in their right mind thought the Packers were going to trade the guy and take a 22 million dollar cap hit.  It would have been idiotic.

In actuality the contracts don’t seem to matter much to either party, as we have all repeatedly seen. Players forcing, raises, or trades, teams cutting or forcing pay cuts on players every season,  it’s all pretty farcical. In practical application the contracts aren’t worth the paper they are printed on when it comes right down to it. By the way I never brought up trades of any kind so I’m not certain what your point was with that, anyway it’s all just day time TV soap operas, and much fun to mock. 

Edited by Don Otreply