Speculation that Aaron Rodgers will announce retirement (update - now indicates he plans to play for GB)

It must be a thing with GB quarterbacks. Although when Favre did the whole 'I'm retiring, no I'm not' thing I was never bothered by it. Favre (just above Barry Sanders) is probably my favorite player of all time because I just loved watching him play, never felt that way about Rodgers, despite his talent

26 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Love is obviously a wild card but that team might be just as good without Rodgers. If they can transition to a better run team I’d be stoked to have Jones and Dillon. It’s not like that’s a very tough division. 

You can't just replace a HOF, and last year's MVP who has absolutely carried that team for years now, QB with anyone and think the show will go on. Bills fans, if any in this world, should understand that. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

You can't just replace a HOF, and last year's MVP who has absolutely carried that team for years now, QB with anyone and think the show will go on. Bills fans, if any in this world, should understand that. 

IOW, Love = Todd Collins

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What an epic disaster this would be for the packers if he did retire.   

Isnt it the opposite for GB?

If he retires, GB can

-go after the bonus money Rodgers will owe

-get Rodgers' contract off the books

-save Cash, which can be spent on players to build a team for Jordan Love.  A team that was already a contender.

-get a roster spot

-avoid Rodgers getting a training camp injury or "injury" and having to pay Rodgers to not play

-save huge face with the fanbase (as long as the fans dont blame the front office for making Rodgers pissy)

-Get Rodgers out of conference (if its Denver)

-Buy some pity time from the fans, for being 'forced' to start Jordan Love before he was ready.

I dont see the downside for GB if Rodgers retires.  Assuming Rodgers plays anywhere other than GB this year, this is probably GB's best option.  2nd would be getting a haul of draft picks when a team loses a good QB in camp.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

are there limitations on his retiring like he can't come back immediatly afterwards to be traded by Green Bay if he does this to show he isn't bluffing?

Yes.........the Packers have to take him off the books..........relinquishing his rights to save immediate cap space.........before he can sign with another team.

Kyle Orton retired from the Cowboys because they wouldn't give him a raise..........the Cowboys released him to save the space.........and he then signed for more money with Buffalo a couple months later.

The Packers won't relinquish his rights though.........if he doesn't show up I assume that they will be credited back his salary cap space anyway.........but not until the end of this season.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Allbright said he wants specifically to go to Denver in a trade. 

Honestly,  this would probably be GOOD news for Buffalo.

Denver instantly becomes a contender..........but the AFC is already deep enough with contenders that any 2-3 playoff games you need to win the AFC are going to be against stacked teams ANYWAY.    Adding another doesn't mean you have to play an extra playoff game.  

It could mean the difference between the Chiefs cruising to the #1 seed yet again or the Bills getting the #1 seed or maybe at least a less confident/playoff-composed opponent getting it.

• Like (+1) 1

After he decides, should we trade Trubisky to the Packers if the price is right? I don't want the Bills to do it considering how valuable he is as a backup but I wonder if Beane will take a call from the Packers on that. I know they have seen enough of him to know he is not much good but they would be rather desperate given the drama queen's late decision. 

If Rodgers does decide in that direction, it must call into question the league rules against such an escape clause which enabled Gronk to do the same. Stinks of tampering to me 

44 minutes ago, H2o said:

It’s not about replacing the HOF quarterback. Lot of ways to win in this league and they are built as more of a run team than pass anyways. You could argue Rodgers carries the team cause they don’t run enough. Obviously nobody is replacing Rodgers production. They could still win that division with Jones and Dillon