Former Wyoming WR discusses Josh Allen in college

2 hours ago, wjag said:

Thanks. Good find. Josh’s public persona vs his football persona are interesting to me. In public his image is the guy a gal wants to take home to meet her parents. On the field, according to Peters of Baltimore, Josh is one of the biggest trash talkers he plays against. Peters goes on to say that its all  done in a way that he enjoys the contest but Josh is a real yapper. 

A lot of football players are absolute sweethearts off the field, but when they put on the pads they turn into monsters. Some guys don’t know how to shut that off and then that’s when it becomes a problem.

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

And probably the reason we were able to snag him at 7.

I am not so sure of that. I think his leadership traits traits showed through. That is likely why he leapfrogged the wrong Josh.

If I am not mistaken, Allen was in the running for #1 along with Mayfield - which tells you his stock was high.

That being said, Dorsey did indicate that they chose Mayfield over Allen since excuses had to made for Allen's weaker 2017 results whereas no such excuses were needed for Mayfield.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

40 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I am not so sure of that. I think his leadership traits traits showed through. That is likely why he leapfrogged the wrong Josh.

If I am not mistaken, Allen was in the running for #1 along with Mayfield - which tells you his stock was high.

That being said, Dorsey did indicate that they chose Mayfield over Allen since excuses had to made for Allen's weaker 2017 results whereas no such excuses were needed for Mayfield.

I thought they chose Mayfield over Allen because Haslam was sold on Baker's fiery competitive attitude

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought they chose Mayfield over Allen because Haslam was sold on Baker's fiery competitive attitude

I dont recall any mention of Haslam being won over, though clearly the owner would likely have had the final say.

My sources:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alonzo-highsmith-explains-why-browns-preferred-mayfield-to-darnold-allen-gives-weird-reason-for-not-liking-rosen/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/three-questions-each-nfc-west-team-must-answer-before-2021-nfl-season-is-matthew-stafford-ready-to-deliver/

Allen jumped from #5 to #2.

And it was at a private workout that Mayfield independently won over Dorsey and Jackson.

13 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

His trying 2017 college season after a breakout 2016 campaign contributed to making him the leader he is today.

+1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was coming from a well established college program

he won everything 

he had great accuracy (something like 80% ??)

And he had  a 'cocky' attitude

On 7/24/2021 at 1:31 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

We haven’t had a proper GM since Polian. The guy knows how to build an offense & defense. Before it always felt like the Bills could only field good defenses. 

I think this is only because it's easier to build an entire defense than to find a franchise QB.

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:39 AM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

100% - I'm thinking that it was Josh's personality traits that attracted Beane and Co. the most. Of course I'm sure the howitzer arm and overall strength of a bull didn't hurt, either. 😄

They've said as much.  They talk about the first time they met him, and they were a little puzzled about him.  It was 15 minutes or something, and it didn't go particularly well.  I don't recall, but I think it was because Josh didn't know how to handle the encounter.  Then they had dinner with him that night, and that's when they realized how great his intangibles were.  Josh relaxed, and the more they heard, the more they knew that his intangibles matched his outstanding physical abilities.   From there, they kept doing all the usual digging to be sure that what they thought they saw at dinner was the real Josh.  As they talked to more people and to Josh again, they realized he was the real deal.  Then it was a matter of Josh falling the Beane figuring out how to move up. 

On draft night, you could tell that McDermott and Beane were sure they got it right.  They could see it.  

What still gets me is that the teams ahead of the Bills didn't see it.  They were interviewing him and taking him out to dinner, and yet they liked Mayfield and Darnold and Barkley and Chubb better.

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

They've said as much.  They talk about the first time they met him, and they were a little puzzled about him.  It was 15 minutes or something, and it didn't go particularly well.  I don't recall, but I think it was because Josh didn't know how to handle the encounter.  Then they had dinner with him that night, and that's when they realized how great his intangibles were.  Josh relaxed, and the more they heard, the more they knew that his intangibles matched his outstanding physical abilities.   From there, they kept doing all the usual digging to be sure that what they thought they saw at dinner was the real Josh.  As they talked to more people and to Josh again, they realized he was the real deal.  Then it was a matter of Josh falling the Beane figuring out how to move up. 

On draft night, you could tell that McDermott and Beane were sure they got it right.  They could see it.  

What still gets me is that the teams ahead of the Bills didn't see it.  They were interviewing him and taking him out to dinner, and yet they liked Mayfield and Darnold and Barkley and Chubb better.

I will be the first to admit that Mayfield hasn't arrived yet, but I also don't blame the Browns for picking him over Allen.  He also has a lot of intangibles beyond his outspoken personality, and his excellent accuracy and ability to recognize blitzes and defenses in college.  We should find out this year if he was even worth that pick.

Josh made some very unintelligent throws in college also.  EJ Manuel bad.  There was still a significant leap-of-faith drafting him, IMO.

18 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I will be the first to admit that Mayfield hasn't arrived yet, but I also don't blame the Browns for picking him over Allen.  He also has a lot of intangibles beyond his outspoken personality, and his excellent accuracy and ability to recognize blitzes and defenses in college.  We should find out this year if he was even worth that pick.

Josh made some very unintelligent throws in college also.  EJ Manuel bad.  There was still a significant leap-of-faith drafting him, IMO.

Drafting Allen was a risk he had all the "traits" but didnt put it together yet.  Baker was the safe pick to be a good quality starter. who is to say the bills wouldn't have drafted baker or Darnold over allen. 

no one knows because every team always gets their guy they wanted all along.  the only team you can say that for sure is the browns because they had the first pick.

15 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

Drafting Allen was a risk he had all the "traits" but didnt put it together yet.  Baker was the safe pick to be a good quality starter. who is to say the bills wouldn't have drafted baker or Darnold over allen. 

no one knows because every team always gets their guy they wanted all along.  the only team you can say that for sure is the browns because they had the first pick.

Cardinals said that about Rosen?

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Nobody will ever convince me that the releasing of the silly tweets, wasn't us. Outstanding work!

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

Nobody will ever convince me that the releasing of the silly tweets, wasn't us. Outstanding work!

There's a theory I hadn't heard before.   That would have been one of the all-time great draft moves!

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

There was still a significant leap-of-faith drafting him, IMO.

There's always uncertainty, but I don't think the Bills had any greater uncertainty with Allen than teams have with any top-10 pick.   

The leap of faith is what it looked like from our perspective, because all we had to go on was some highlights, some lowlights, a mediocre record, etc.   My point is that the Bills knew a lot more about him than we did, and what they knew meant they weren't taking the leap of faith that we saw.   We had a big information gap; Beane closed that gap with careful scouting and interviewing.  

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Are you in the midst of a bro-mance?

I'm all in Allen!

I would have Josh's babies.:wub:

On 7/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given his performance in the Bills "12 days of Christmas" I don't think that's a good notion

How dare you, He has the voice of an angel:cry:

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

There's a theory I hadn't heard before.   That would have been one of the all-time great draft moves!

There's always uncertainty, but I don't think the Bills had any greater uncertainty with Allen than teams have with any top-10 pick.   

The leap of faith is what it looked like from our perspective, because all we had to go on was some highlights, some lowlights, a mediocre record, etc.   My point is that the Bills knew a lot more about him than we did, and what they knew meant they weren't taking the leap of faith that we saw.   We had a big information gap; Beane closed that gap with careful scouting and interviewing.  

Sure, I certainly understand and agree with all your points.  I was more responding to this line of yours:  "What still gets me is that the teams ahead of the Bills didn't see it.  They were interviewing him and taking him out to dinner, and yet they liked Mayfield and Darnold and Barkley and Chubb better."

I was attempting to say that I understand the Browns taking Mayfield over Allen at the time.  From the sound of the Browns FO, he was the most impressive one to them in the process.  They put a lot of weight on his leadership for running his workout day, among other things.  And despite his lesser physical attributes and more boisterous personality than Allen, he was far more impressive with his decisions, accuracy, consistency and mental speed for the game than Allen in college.   

Totally with you on Darnold and Barkley though.    The Browns liked Chubb better because they had just drafted Mayfield.

Just now, GaryPinC said:

Sure, I certainly understand and agree with all your points.  I was more responding to this line of yours:  "What still gets me is that the teams ahead of the Bills didn't see it.  They were interviewing him and taking him out to dinner, and yet they liked Mayfield and Darnold and Barkley and Chubb better."

I was attempting to say that I understand the Browns taking Mayfield over Allen at the time.  From the sound of the Browns FO, he was the most impressive one to them in the process.  They put a lot of weight on his leadership for running his workout day, among other things.  And despite his lesser physical attributes and more boisterous personality than Allen, he was far more impressive with his decisions, accuracy, consistency and mental speed for the game than Allen in college.   

Totally with you on Darnold and Barkley though.    The Browns liked Chubb better because they had just drafted Mayfield.

Am I'm with you on Mayfield.  Mayfield was my choice, and I can see why the Browns went that way.   And I give the Browns a pass because apparently it was a close call for them, Mayfield or Allen.  And frankly, I can understand liking Darnold, too.   What I really can't understand is New York and Denver, both with obvious QB needs on the near horizon, leaving Allen on the table.   (Denver took Bradley Chubb, not the Browns.)

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Am I'm with you on Mayfield.  Mayfield was my choice, and I can see why the Browns went that way.   And I give the Browns a pass because apparently it was a close call for them, Mayfield or Allen.  And frankly, I can understand liking Darnold, too.   What I really can't understand is New York and Denver, both with obvious QB needs on the near horizon, leaving Allen on the table.   (Denver took Bradley Chubb, not the Browns.)

Apologies, I was thinking Nick Chubb the Browns RB, drafted later that round, forgot about Bradley🤪!  Makes more sense now.  What I understand from it is that if you need a quarterback, put every priority into it until you find that franchise guy, even if you just drafted a QB last year.  Credit to Arizona and their way out of the Rosen mess.  And they suckered in Miami to boot!

Edited by GaryPinC