Ass't Coaches: Rick Dennison (MN) and Cole Popovich (NE) out after refusing vaccine

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Players also have a personal choice to not play hard, keep in shape, not understand the playbook, all that would have an impact on the team. Likewise, they can make a personal choice not to get a vaccine that sharply reduces the chance the team will need to forfeit a game.  Both choices have consequences and a team, employer or anyone has the choice to not have them on the team. 

I don't think those choices are comparable with being vaccinated. The others are all pure football. The vaccine is more than that. I think it is a relevant football consideration don't get me wrong, but it is not only about football. I think that is a bit of a false equivalence to compare it to not learning the playbook, with respect.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Looks like I’m currently the only babysitter on line, and personally, idgaff.

🤷‍♂️

Nah Hapless is in the Beas thread.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think those choices are comparable with being vaccinated. The others are all pure football. The vaccine is more than that. I think it is a relevant football consideration don't get me wrong, but it is not only about football. I think that is a bit of a false equivalence to compare it to not learning the playbook, with respect.

Nah Hapless is in the Beas thread.

Stalker.

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Indeed but how many of us suddenly have the terms of our employment on a matter as serious as this changed under our noses and the only options being conform or go? It is dangerous territory in my view. The league has provided a 3rd (tougher restrictions) option for players, I personally think they should do the same for coaches. And believe me I have little time for the anti-vax argument. 

Having worked in the military, worked in banks, retail, and for municipalities, rules get changed with no input from the masses all the time, it’s part of everyday life, does it create problems for folk? Yes it does, but we all make choices to mitigate the impact of our circumstances changing, it’s what happens when the responsibility of being the adult in the room rests on ones shoulders, it’s unfortunate that lives get put in a state of turmoil, but that has been the case for all of the history of humanity, people make choices, many times they make, shall we say choices that have negative impacts on their lives, like you I have little patience for the anti vaccination arguments, I wish no harm on those who don’t vax, but the outcome of that decision rest on their shoulders…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I didn’t know that controlling peoples health choices would become such a big deal. Oh wait… Actually I totally did.

Er, we do know that where relevant, employers have been mandating their employees to get vaccinated for years now?  Flu, Hepatitis B, etc etc

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Er, we do know that where relevant, employers have been mandating their employees to get vaccinated for years now?  Flu, Hepatitis B, etc etc

I once worked for a internet start-up in San Jose and the owner mandated the flu shot. But there was no HR Dept to take a grievance to. Just him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I once worked for a internet start-up in San Jose and the owner mandated the flu shot. But there was no HR Dept to take a grievance to. Just him. 

It would appear he was the HR department…

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed but how many of us suddenly have the terms of our employment on a matter as serious as this changed under our noses and the only options being conform or go? It is dangerous territory in my view. The league has provided a 3rd (tougher restrictions) option for players, I personally think they should do the same for coaches. And believe me I have little time for the anti-vax argument. 

*Raises hand*.

In 1983, I was working with nice, juicy, fresh, bloody human tissue in a research lab when Hepatitis B vaccine was developed.  The original vaccine, the one that was derived from blood, not the much safer recombinant vaccine.

I was told, "get the vaccine, or Get Out - look for another job".  The hospital/med school and its health insurer didn't want to be responsible for Hep B treatment for employees when the disease was preventable by vaccine.

Not only that, they actually checked our antibody levels and it took me 5 shots over 4 months to seroconvert. 😬

Don't overlook the role that Risk Management and insurance play in employer decisions.

It's pretty clear the NFL would like to mandate the vaccine for players too but the NFLPA nixed that.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1