2021 Practice Squad rules

26 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is awesome - I was worried it was going to revert to the old rules. 

I wonder if this means a few Vet Dlinemen get cut and signed to the PS helping to protect a younger player - allowing them to get paid and get called up, but give some guys like Bam Johnson a spot to remain due to special teams.  

I can see this really helping with the roster bubble.

With signings like Lamp, Hart (ew), Adams, Marquel Lee, keeping Devey, A. Smith, etc., it felt a bit like stocking up, hoping those expanded PS rules would remain in place. Beane is probably smiling from ear to ear.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

$9,200.00 a week as a minimum is nice coin, equals $478,000.00 annually, practice squad guys are top one or two percent wage earners in America, it’s nice work if you can get it… 😁👍more power to them!

• Eyeroll 1

On 7/23/2021 at 2:52 PM, Don Otreply said:

$9,200.00 a week as a minimum is nice coin, equals $478,000.00 annually, practice squad guys are top one or two percent wage earners in America, it’s nice work if you can get it… 😁👍more power to them!

Is it an annual salary or only during the season?

Big difference but still pulling decent money for being a person to beat up on. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Is it an annual salary or only during the season?

Big difference but still pulling decent money for being a person to beat up on. 

It's weekly and just during the season.

And they can be cut at any time.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Quote from last years article.  PS has counted against the cap for years.

Teams are allowed to pay a player a higher salary than the minimum, and this often happens if another team comes sniffing around a player. All practice squad salaries are counted under the team’s salary cap.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2020/9/4/21420151/2020-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus

Just wanted to confirm that @ColoradoBills is correct. All players on the roster at the start of the regular season (including those on IR, PUP and PS) count against the cap. The only ones who don't are those on the commissioner's exempt list. So, the Texans are about to get $35mil in Watson's salary removed from their cap.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:52 PM, Don Otreply said:

It’s only per week during the season so 18 weeks regular season if on the squad all games

That’s still $165,600 per year which is pretty good money even for an older vet

• Agree 1

On 7/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Once the season starts the Top 51 rule goes away and all players salaries (including PS players) counts against the cap.

Yes, but I think there might be some higher paid players who aren't on the team by then which changes that math. For example, Boettger can be traded or released and you add 2M of cap space with no dead cap.  IMO, one of the guards is going to go among Feliciano, Boettger, Lamp, and Ford. Boettger is the one that gives you the greatest cap benefit with zero penalty so he's going to have to significantly out play the other options or I think they could trade him. Feliciano would carry a net cap hit by releasing him so he will need to stink on ice to be the odd-man out.

It's a similar deal with Davis Webb and Fromm.  Davis Webb has no dead money if he's released, Fromm does.  I don't think all of them stay so if it's a toss up between them that could be a factor.  A small one, but a factor nonetheless.

5 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Just wanted to confirm that @ColoradoBills is correct. All players on the roster at the start of the regular season (including those on IR, PUP and PS) count against the cap. The only ones who don't are those on the commissioner's exempt list. So, the Texans are about to get $35mil in Watson's salary removed from their cap.

Yes - the Texans will get relief, but they have to “save the space” in case and when he is removed from the list.  They may at any point suddenly find that they need 35 million in space or risk losing Watson for nothing.

GB has the same issue - if Rodgers “retires” it opens up space, but they need to ensure they have enough at all times or he could “surprise” un-retire and force you to clear cap space immediately or cut him and that is something they can’t do.

Edited by Rochesterfan

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes, but I think there might be some higher paid players who aren't on the team by then which changes that math. For example, Boettger can be traded or released and you add 2M of cap space with no dead cap.  IMO, one of the guards is going to go among Feliciano, Boettger, Lamp, and Ford. Boettger is the one that gives you the greatest cap benefit with zero penalty so he's going to have to significantly out play the other options or I think they could trade him. Feliciano would carry a net cap hit by releasing him so he will need to stink on ice to be the odd-man out.

It's a similar deal with Davis Webb and Fromm.  Davis Webb has no dead money if he's released, Fromm does.  I don't think all of them stay so if it's a toss up between them that could be a factor.  A small one, but a factor nonetheless.

Yes you are correct.  There always are players who currently are under the Top 51 who will make the team.

It was my understanding that this was figured into the rules by only having the Top 51 during the offseason to compensate for having 53 on

the final roster.  It was implemented to get as close to a wash as possible.  Of course this is all "team subjective".  Some team end up with

a little more cap some with a little less.

One also has to be aware of the "dead money" when cutting these "over Top 51" players too.  A player like Lamp ($1.06M which you used) has

$350k in Dead Money.  If a rookie took his place it would come out as a wash.

Another point is the 2 players called up each week get a weeks worth of NFL Roster minimum salary for that week (a pretty good raise)

before they go back down.

The main point I originally brought up was with the new PS rules teams spend over twice the money compared to a few years ago.