2021 Practice Squad rules

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Awesome.  So pretty much the same as last year if I remember correctly?

COVID still lingering and 17th game to be played this year. Both factors make it more likely that there will be heavy reliance on the PS this year.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

COVID still lingering and 17th game to be played this year. Both factors make it more likely that there will be heavy reliance on the PS this year.

Yep.  Now it will be down to hoping a good number of cuts make it through waivers and end up on the PS anyway.

I have been waiting for @YoloinOhio to post the news for this season and I for one feel much better!

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

After some quick calculations the PS (after weekly callups) will cost teams around $3M in cap.

Bills $9M in space right now is more like $6M.

FWIW.

That would be a challenge if it were true, but the Cap is only based on top 50 or so salaries

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

That would be a challenge if it were true, but the Cap is only based on top 50 or so salaries

Once the season starts the Top 51 rule goes away and all players salaries (including PS players) counts against the cap.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm pretty sure the PS doesn't count against the cap. 

Quote from last years article.  PS has counted against the cap for years.

Teams are allowed to pay a player a higher salary than the minimum, and this often happens if another team comes sniffing around a player. All practice squad salaries are counted under the team’s salary cap.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2020/9/4/21420151/2020-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is awesome - I was worried it was going to revert to the old rules. 

I wonder if this means a few Vet Dlinemen get cut and signed to the PS helping to protect a younger player - allowing them to get paid and get called up, but give some guys like Bam Johnson a spot to remain due to special teams.  

I can see this really helping with the roster bubble.