2021 Bills vs Twitter

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Part of me thinks he's going to push his "no restrictions" attitude inside the building when camp starts and will refuse to follow the rules setup for unvaccinated players during Training Camp.

I hope not, but it wouldn't shock me.

Just get him in here.  LOL.  Hard to follow twitter grifters and tweet while running wind sprints.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

So A sandwich?

Is a wrap a sandwich? I'm unclear on the rules when it comes to flatbreads. We get into dicey territory when burritos and gyros can be classified as sandwiches.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

I think DeAndre Hopkins was upset with the new protocols and so was Matthew Judon.

In the latter case, I don’t think it was the protocols so much as the new news that the NFL will cause a team to forfeit a game and take a “L” if the team has an outbreak amoung unvaccinated players.  I mean, you could be correct that they’re unhappy with the protocols, but it’s the “forfeit” thing that had them speaking out

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the latter case, I don’t think it was the protocols so much as the new news that the NFL will cause a team to forfeit a game and take a “L” if the team has an outbreak amoung unvaccinated players.  I mean, you could be correct that they’re unhappy with the protocols, but it’s the “forfeit” thing that had them speaking out

Deandre tweeted: “Never thought I would say this, but being put in a position to hurt my team because I don’t want to partake in the vaccine is making me question my future in the NFL.” Deleted it. and replaced it with, "Freedom?"

Mathew Judon eloquently wrote: "the NFLPA f***ing sucks", so I guess that's up for personal interpretation. 

Maybe you're right though. The forfeiting games part is a weird one, especially with Jalen Ramsey admitting: "I know 2 people right now who got the vaccine but are covid positive.. I’m just saying. I wouldn’t look at a teammate as bad if he don’t get the vax, no pressure from 5" 

1 minute ago, The_Ripster said:

Deandre tweeted: “Never thought I would say this, but being put in a position to hurt my team because I don’t want to partake in the vaccine is making me question my future in the NFL.” Deleted it. and replaced it with, "Freedom?"

Mathew Judon eloquently wrote: "the NFLPA f***ing sucks", so I guess that's up for personal interpretation. 

Maybe you're right though. The forfeiting games part is a weird one, especially with Jalen Ramsey admitting: "I know 2 people right now who got the vaccine but are covid positive.. I’m just saying. I wouldn’t look at a teammate as bad if he don’t get the vax, no pressure from 5" 

Yeah, the NFL is really trying to use all the leverage it can to get players vaccinated, but I think this is a mistaken decision on their part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's painted himself into a corner. What a waste of a great situation with the Bills. It wasn't too long ago that he was unhappy with his situation in Dallas.

I actually don’t know anything about what happened in Dallas? What was that about? I mean if it’s for competitive reasons I understand if a player is unhappy, but then again when he came to the Bills, there was no sure fire indication they would be this good.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And some people probably agreed with the workers at GM Tonawanda last summer who didn't want to wear masks all shift on the un-AC'd plant floor.

But those were the rules that the Union and GM agreed to, so the workers who felt strongly enough about it could either follow the rules, retire, or quit.

All employers have rules.  If you don't like the rules strongly enough that you don't want to follow them, retire or quit.  That's how it is in every profession.

Of course, one of the fundamental objectives of organized labor is to consider the well being of the collective, draw a line in the sand and push for change.   Many of the positive changes that came as a result of  organized labor started with a rabble rouser somewhere.

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Of course, one of the fundamental objectives of organized labor is to consider the well being of the collective, draw a line in the sand and push for change.   Many of the positive changes that came as a result of  organized labor started with a rabble rouser somewhere.

That’s a fair point, but the NFL players already have a union that they certified to represent them 🤷‍♂️

On 7/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, rayray808 said:

Content aside, is social media going to divide this locker room before camp even starts?

I don't see any other team in the NFL having open debates via social media.

Again, CONTENT ASIDE - is Twitter going to be the demise of this team?

No.  It can be healthy when people discuss things.  Not discussing issues causes problems.  Seems like the back and forth is being done respectfully.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

No.  It can be healthy when people discuss things.  Not discussing issues causes problems.  Seems like the back and forth is being done respectfully.

Agree but I noticed those threads were getting shut down 🥺

11 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I think social media is a piss-poor medium for team discussion.   I would think these guys have each other’s Instagrams and can DM if they don’t have phone numbers and text.

I agree the teammate interactions seem respectful, but the general tweeting is frequently rude and attacking.  And people are all in with interpreting Teammate A as attacking Teammate B which, even if that’s not the intent, could potentially cause problems.

That leads me to conclude that Beasley’s goal is not intra-team discussion

Just now, rayray808 said:

Agree but I noticed those threads were getting shut down 🥺

The corrallary, Son, the corrallary.  When threads follow the guidelines pinned at the top of the page and stay respectful, they stay open.

When a few people every now and then deviate, they get pruned.

When too many people don’t follow the guidelines or get rude to each other, they get locked.  This ain’t Twitter, and anything doesn’t go.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s a fair point, but the NFL players already have a union that they certified to represent them 🤷‍♂️

Correct, of course.  My brother is a Teamster, many of the rank and file members of his organization are extremely distrustful of leadership and some work for change from within.  

My thought here—and frankly I avoid social media like the plague as no hearts and minds ever seem to change when the perspective is “Why not just shut up and move on?”—-is that CBs thoughts on this issue are likely shared by a relatively high percentage of players.  I have no great insight as to the exact numbers, but using society as a whole, figuring the demographic of the sport  (young men, exceptionally gifted athletically, likely deified  from the time they played Pop Warner, with an “I’m invincible mindset”, it seem logical. On the other side of “Who are you to tell me what to do” of course is the Union, shot at glory and  payday that they have worked their whole life to attain.  Money talks, so folks who might agree of at least support Beasley without the $$$ and status to take that stance likely just follow the rules.  Hell, they already risk injury to life and limb everyday. 

I want Beasley to play, contribute and help the Bills win a super bowl.  Still, in the grand scheme of things, its not as important to me as it used to be.  I figure this distraction, if it is a distraction, is like most others.  The GM and coach have to figure it out, and things will be resolved one way or the other. 

54 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

I actually don’t know anything about what happened in Dallas? What was that about? I mean if it’s for competitive reasons I understand if a player is unhappy, but then again when he came to the Bills, there was no sure fire indication they would be this good.

He complained he wasn't being used enough, which was a legit complaint I think. He came to Buffalo to be one of the top targets. He's certainly gotten the credit he deserved in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Correct, of course.  My brother is a Teamster, many of the rank and file members of his organization are extremely distrustful of leadership and some work for change from within.  

My thought here—and frankly I avoid social media like the plague as no hearts and minds ever seem to change when the perspective is “Why not just shut up and move on?”—-is that CBs thoughts on this issue are likely shared by a relatively high percentage of players.  I have no great insight as to the exact numbers, but using society as a whole, figuring the demographic of the sport  (young men, exceptionally gifted athletically, likely deified  from the time they played Pop Warner, with an “I’m invincible mindset”, it seem logical. On the other side of “Who are you to tell me what to do” of course is the Union, shot at glory and  payday that they have worked their whole life to attain.  Money talks, so folks who might agree of at least support Beasley without the $$$ and status to take that stance likely just follow the rules.  Hell, they already risk injury to life and limb everyday. 

I want Beasley to play, contribute and help the Bills win a super bowl.  Still, in the grand scheme of things, its not as important to me as it used to be.  I figure this distraction, if it is a distraction, is like most others.  The GM and coach have to figure it out, and things will be resolved one way or the other. 

Beasley has several times indicated that he believes he speaks for a number of players who are not at a place in their career where they can speak out.

He has said he’ll retire or “play for free” (which I took to mean, be fined until he’s playing for free), but surely he can’t believe that latter will be allowed - the team would be penalized and would risk losing drafts picks, so would surely ask the league to suspend him for “conduct detrimental to the team” after a few instances?

But even if he believes he’s speaking out for a number of players who feel the same way but aren’t in a place where they can risk their financial futures, is social media truly the best avenue?  Has he tried writing the union, the NFL physicians, so forth and so on?  Or is his action limited to Tweets?  We don’t know.

I can’t blame a player for being distrustful of NFLPA leadership - I think they’ve done a crap tactic job on some points over the years - but it’s a fact the Bills don’t seem to have a union rep even listed since Zo Alexander retired, indicating to me that no one wants to actually “do the work” and attend the meetings and such.

I agree with that last para completely.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beasley has several times indicated that he believes he speaks for a number of players who are not at a place in their career where they can speak out.

He has said he’ll retire or “play for free” (which I took to mean, be fined until he’s playing for free), but surely he can’t believe that latter will be allowed - the team would be penalized and would risk losing drafts picks, so would surely ask the league to suspend him for “conduct detrimental to the team” after a few instances?

But even if he believes he’s speaking out for a number of players who feel the same way but aren’t in a place where they can risk their financial futures, is social media truly the best avenue?  Has he tried writing the union, the NFL physicians, so forth and so on?  Or is his action limited to Tweets?  We don’t know.

I can’t blame a player for being distrustful of NFLPA leadership - I think they’ve done a crap tactic job on some points over the years - but it’s a fact the Bills don’t seem to have a union rep even listed since Zo Alexander retired, indicating to me that no one wants to actually “do the work” and attend the meetings and such.

I agree with that last para completely.  

I have no idea about Beasley working behind the scenes, and as a business owner and general get along guy,  I share nothing, zero, nada, bupkiss, zed, zip on SM, so I think he’s on the wrong path generally.

But I feel that way about just about everyone regardless of the side they are on.  

We agree on the most pressing issue we covered today, that’s enough for me.  

On 7/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, MWK said:

What was the intention of saying it then? Saying that Hughes only supports a minority when he is in it is pretty racist, I don’t know how it could be seen otherwise.

Sorry Bro, but that says a lot more about how you view things than what Beasley said.  Think about it...

On 7/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Exactly!!

I am a big fan of Beane/McD but all their harping about the [process", well now it is time to put it in action, if not all their "process" was just one  more empty elegant football cliché.

Process doesn't mean brainwashed. Whether you agree with these guys positions or not don't try to insinuate that McBean  aren't doing their jobs

Edited by Protocal69
  • Agree 1