2021 Bills vs Twitter

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Beasley is on a crusade, no doubt, and has created a situation that is going to be a challenge for everyone on the team to deal with.

They should deal with it, as much as possible, by focusing on football and avoiding getting drawn in. Beasley's social media behavior is 100% on him. At some point you just have to say, hey his views are not those of the Bills organization and should not be attributed to anyone (player, coach, etc) other than himself and move on. It is obvious at this point that he's not going to change his behavior and so the best approach is to give it less attention. This "show some leadership" idea ignores the fact that he's an adult who holds his own opinions and can speak about them.

Now, the team could decide his social media behavior is so bad/detrimental that it warrants cutting him (but they should not, IMO). I am sure that many people would lose their jobs if they become a national-scale irritant on social media. However, at this point it's just not in the Bills' best interest to do so; the line of bad behavior has not been crossed. There is a line at some point, however. I won't indulge in hypotheticals, but there is always a point where the negatives for the team outweigh the positives. If Beasley were a bubble player, he'd probably already have crossed it.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is your leadership experience guiding strong-minded macho individuals over whom you have no direct authority?

Mine is that it's like herding cats - you can influence most of them, you can lead by example, but you can't achieve 100% compliance.

And again - how do you know it's ineffective?  Seems entirely possible that he's influencing, and what we would see would be much louder and from many more players without.

Effective leadership doesn't mean you magically get everyone to 100% fall in line and do as you say.

You simply don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

There is zero evidence Allen has done anything behind the scenes.  Nothing has leaked out.  Beasley picked up right where he left off on Twitter so he hasn’t done anything there.  And he obviously hasn’t done anything publicly.  Yet you take this to the opposite extreme, completely baselessly speculating that Allen could be doing a lot of good behind the scenes (but if he was doing a lot, it would be leaking out) while also giving him a pass on not being effective (which really doesn’t make sense since effectiveness is a key component of good leadership).  So you’re suggesting a possible situation that’s as glowingly optimistic as possible but is as far removed from the facts and logic as possible.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

They should deal with it, as much as possible, by focusing on football and avoiding getting drawn in. Beasley's social media behavior is 100% on him. At some point you just have to say, hey his views are not those of the Bills organization and should not be attributed to anyone (player, coach, etc) other than himself and move on. It is obvious at this point that he's not going to change his behavior and so the best approach is to give it less attention. This "show some leadership" idea ignores the fact that he's an adult who holds his own opinions and can speak about them.

Now, the team could decide his social media behavior is so bad/detrimental that it warrants cutting him (but they should not, IMO). I am sure that many people would lose their jobs if they become a national-scale irritant on social media. However, at this point it's just not in the Bills' best interest to do so; the line of bad behavior has not been crossed. There is a line at some point, however. I won't indulge in hypotheticals, but there is always a point where the negatives for the team outweigh the positives. If Beasley were a bubble player, he'd probably already have crossed it.

I think you're spot on with your assessment. Where it gets dicey is that you have an employee is speaking out publicly against his employer. If you're going to bite the hand that feeds you (and feeds you A LOT), you better feel certain that there are serious misgivings going on....

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There is zero evidence Allen has done anything behind the scenes.  Nothing has leaked out.  Beasley picked up right where he left off on Twitter so he hasn’t done anything there.  And he obviously hasn’t done anything publicly.  Yet you take this to the opposite extreme, completely baselessly speculating that Allen could be doing a lot of good behind the scenes (but if he was doing a lot, it would be leaking out) while also giving him a pass on not being effective (which really doesn’t make sense since effectiveness is a key component of good leadership).  So you’re suggesting a possible situation that’s as glowingly optimistic as possible but is as far removed from the facts and logic as possible.

And there’s zero evidence that’s he’s not displaying leadership.  

We simply just don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.  

Look around the NFL, we’re not the only team with a guy being vocal about this.  

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

How will the team ever recover from this!?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Oh, for Toast Sake.  What does "behind the scenes" mean to you?  It means "behind the scenes", by its very nature out of public view.  Yes, there's zero evidence Allen has done anything behind the scenes, but there's likewise zero evidence he hasn't.  Absence of leaks in a locker room that prefers to keep stuff "in house" does not mean absence of action.  That's plain and simply, illogical and if I may say so, I do expect a bit better from you.   Painting me as "far removed from facts and logic" is ironic, here.

Allen is a leader of grown-ass men over whom his only authority is the respect they voluntarily grant him due to his character and abilities.  That does not translate to absolute authority or the ability to tell an older, more senior player "Get off Twitter, Now, Because", especially during the off-season. 

Which this still is.

Being a leader sometimes means hearing people and trying to understand their concerns, whether or not you agree (and Allen may agree, that doesn't mean he's not a leader either).  Sometimes it means letting them have their "cri de coeur".  Sometimes it means influencing by demonstrating with your own behavior and ignoring behavior you're trying to eliminate, while praising behavior you're trying to encourage.  There are freaking books about this stuff, and there's no one way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Beasley is on a crusade, no doubt, and has created a situation that is going to be a challenge for everyone on the team to deal with.

we don’t know that yet.  If he continues to run his mouth on Twitter though… maybe.

I really don’t think it’s going to affect anyone’s on-field performance this season, but I have definitely been wrong in the past.  And yeah if he gets cut eventually because of it… that’ll be a fairly big hole for our offense to fill.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, rayray808 said:

Content aside, is social media going to divide this locker room before camp even starts?

I don't see any other team in the NFL having open debates via social media.

Again, CONTENT ASIDE - is Twitter going to be the demise of this team?

Social media has divided the world. It's a pox and a curse on society. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

we don’t know that yet.  If he continues to run his mouth on Twitter though… maybe.

I really don’t think it’s going to affect anyone’s on-field performance this season, but I have definitely been wrong in the past.  And yeah if he gets cut eventually because of it… that’ll be a fairly big hole for our offense to fill.

I don't mean Twitter, but as was discussed several times in the initial 72-page long thread and several subsequent threads:

Given the option of

1) getting the vaccine

2) following the protocols for unvaccinated players

3) retiring

Beasley has publically opted for his own personal choice, option

4) not getting the vaccine, and not following the protocols

That's a problem that's going to be a challenge for everyone on the team to deal with, even if Beasley deletes his twitter account and never says another word.

You can't have a veteran player not following team rules (as the Steelers were reported to tolerate with AB, until they didn't).  Even if it doesn't cause an outbreak, it's not fair to other unvaccinated players who are following the rules or to unvaccinated front office guys who aren't even allowed near the players.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Oh good.  I was wondering what OJ thought.

Hahaha....OJ man. That guy is something else. If only the vaccine could prevent stab wounds, I may bend my ear to listen. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

And there’s zero evidence that’s he’s not displaying leadership.  

We simply just don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.  

Look around the NFL, we’re not the only team with a guy being vocal about this.  

How will the team ever recover from this!?

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, for Toast Sake.  What does "behind the scenes" mean to you?  It means "behind the scenes", by its very nature out of public view.  Yes, there's zero evidence Allen has done anything behind the scenes, but there's likewise zero evidence he hasn't.  Absence of leaks in a locker room that prefers to keep stuff "in house" does not mean absence of action.  That's plain and simply, illogical and if I may say so, I do expect a bit better from you.   Painting me as "far removed from facts and logic" is ironic, here.

Allen is a leader of grown-ass men over whom his only authority is the respect they voluntarily grant him due to his character and abilities.  That does not translate to absolute authority or the ability to tell an older, more senior player "Get off Twitter, Now, Because", especially during the off-season. 

Which this still is.

Being a leader sometimes means hearing people and trying to understand their concerns, whether or not you agree (and Allen may agree, that doesn't mean he's not a leader either).  Sometimes it means letting them have their "cri de coeur".  Sometimes it means influencing by demonstrating with your own behavior and ignoring behavior you're trying to eliminate, while praising behavior you're trying to encourage.  There are freaking books about this stuff, and there's no one way.

All I know is Allen, Beasley, and Feliciano are all displaying fantastic leadership...lead by example boys!!!:wub:

• Eyeroll 1