2021 Bills vs Twitter

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

The mods are spread thin. You should refrain from contributing, if that's how you really feel - wanting it to be closed.

I will refrain when I want to, I  dont want nor did I ask for your input on the matter, nor did i write i wanted it closed, i asked a question, how has it stayed open for so long...if you can't discern the difference too bad for you..    

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Beas ain't a racist.  He's just an idiot.  Maybe CTE set in during the offseason.  But he needs to quit his whining and either get the damn vaccine or form an anti-vax football league with Hopkins and his other buddies.

That would probably be a pretty dope league.  

The fringe players are the dudes feeling the pressure to get vaxxed. 

Jerry Hughes is the biggest voice I’ve heard come out for it… and he’s not exactly guaranteed a roster spot at his age.   Heard plenty of big name guys come out against/skeptical of it.  

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Sorry….as a black man living in America and having faced real racism in my life…I hate seeing petty stuff like this get blown up like that. YES…he was indeed comparing him being treated very differently as the minority in this case as black people…HOWEVER one can make a comparison even if it’s different extremes and still be accurate in their analogy. Nobody on the team will view his tweet as racist cause they know he isn’t racist. How hard is it to understand you must have racist intent to be racist…if anything call the tweet ignorant…but not racist

I am not sure I would call a false equivalency "racist" per se but it is an extremely ignorant false equivalence and an extremely bad look. It is not a comment he should be making. End of story. 

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Sorry….as a black man living in America and having faced real racism in my life…I hate seeing petty stuff like this get blown up like that. YES…he was indeed comparing him being treated very differently as the minority in this case as black people…HOWEVER one can make a comparison even if it’s different extremes and still be accurate in their analogy. Nobody on the team will view his tweet as racist cause they know he isn’t racist. How hard is it to understand you must have racist intent to be racist…if anything call the tweet ignorant…but not racist

Actual intelligence on display on this thread.  

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I will refrain when I want to, I  dont want nor did I ask for your input on the matter, nor did i write i wanted it closed, i asked a question, how has it stayed open for so long...if you can't discern the difference too bad for you..    

You did ask for my input. 😄 sorry you don't like the answer.

I guess don't quote me next time.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Serious question.

How has this thread survived as long as it has?

Nothing but posters mindlessly barking at each other, just a mirror of twitter at this point.

PPP wants this thread. Feed the toilet monster. FEED IT

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry I disagree with #1 and #2.

On #1 - How is Beas being persecuted? He is not being told he must take the vaccine. There is an option negotiated by his union for him to not take it. He doesn't like that option either and wants an option that is not on the table. That is not persecution. Are some people coming at him on social media? Yea I expect so. That is social media. Stay off it would be my advice. 

On #2 - if he didn't mean that it was very unfortunately worded. I'd like to believe he didn't but what he said rather suggests he did. 

In my first point, I was not talking about the league. Obviously they are not saying "all you unvaccinated people can do what you want, except Cole Beasley". He is being persecuted by a portion of the public and blue check marks on twitter, who enjoy scoring free dopamine hits by dunking on Beasley with their witty one liners.

Like I said, you probably agree that he deserves to be facing this treatment. I merely asserted that it exists.

For the second point, I dunno what to tell you. Two people can read the same thing and come away with different conclusions that they find to be obvious. I'm just going to assume the guy who's been playing with lots of black guys his entire career, who has a black wife probably isn't comparing his situation with the historical injustices black people faced.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, MWK said:

Feliciano isn’t protecting or enforcing anything, just like his play on the o-line. He’s sharing misinformation on Twitter, and while he is vaccinated, that’s still stupid. Beasley just tweeted something incredibly racist at a teammate. I hope this all works out, because I want our team to be good, but this is an issue that will not go away as long as Beasley is around.

I understand that you interpret it as racist, but it's not at all clear to me that is either how Beasley intended it OR how Hughes interpreted it.

I think when they met for OTAs, Hughes was part of the "minority" on the team that was vaccinated, and the majority was unvaccinated, and it quite probably concerned Hughes because at the time he had a pregnant wife at home and covid in pregnancy can be devastating.

But now the "majority" of the team is vaccinated, and I think that's "from the minority to the majority, now the minority don't matter?" that Beasley is talking about.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Eeek. I decided to go look this up because I though you must be guilty of overreaction but I have just seen that tweet at Jerry Hughes. Wow. And Jerry was not even tweeting at Beas he was tweeting at another guy. The insinuation was definitely - I am now a minority being persecuted in the same way as you have faced racism. Bad, bad look. 

He is entitled to think whatever he likes on vaccines but his twitter rants have now gone a bit beyond just stating his view. I have to think someone from the Bills brass has tried to talk him down because this is not helpful.

I think Beasley is one of those individuals who is totally unencumbered by self awareness. 

I’m confident that Beasley didn’t “intend” any racist remarks. But in all the years of corporate diversity training seminars I’ve attended, one of the first things you learn in all of them is that intent doesn’t matter because it’s too late once the words are put out there. This is where cognitive awareness comes in. 

At the very least, Beasley’s remarks indicate a shallow disregard and disrespect for the struggles of so many minorities over the years. I can’t imagine he’s happy seeing those words in print, either. Then again, given his seeming lack of self awareness, who knows. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MWK said:

This will probably get deleted or get me banned, but whatever. What Beasley just said is racist. He is comparing being unvaccinated to the racism faced daily by black people, and he told a black teammate that he was now part of a majority and discriminating against a minority. What a stupid thing to say. This should get him cut IMO.

Who is Beasley hating on?  

Why should he be cut?  The guy is a great football player... He doesn't have to love his teammates and they don't have to love him.  Its all about winning football games when they get on the field between the lines.  These guys are all professionals.  They will get down to business once training camp starts.  The offseason is so Dam long in football, leaves too much time for players to say stupid things.  

But my God don't most of you have lives including having to work, run companies and businesses, raise families, go to the gym, church, etc?  Way too much attention given to what everyone says.  I just want to watch and read about what's going on the field.  I have never gone on Social media.  And never intend to.  I can barely get along with a lot of you on here, let alone with all the self aggrandizing fools on all the other social media pages.  My girlfriend says if I went on Facebook I would be fighting with people all day long.  No time for that.  Life is too short for all that nonsense.  See you all when training camp is full steam ahead.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

In my first point, I was not talking about the league. Obviously they are not saying "all you unvaccinated people can do what you want, except Cole Beasley". He is being persecuted by a portion of the public and blue check marks on twitter, who enjoy scoring free dopamine hits by dunking on Beasley with their witty one liners.

Like I said, you probably agree that he deserves to be facing this treatment. I merely asserted that it exists.

For the second point, I dunno what to tell you. Two people can read the same thing and come away with different conclusions that they find to be obvious. I'm just going to assume the guy who's been playing with lots of black guys his entire career, who has a black wife probably isn't comparing his situation with the historical injustices black people faced.

So I don't think he deserves that treatment. What makes you think I would think that? Social media is a cesspit of vile behaviour it is why I choose to avoid it for the most part. He is entitled to his view on vaccines. I disagree with him but he is entitled to his view, people are entitled to disagree but where that becomes abusive he does not deserve that - nobody does.

On the false equivalence you can choose to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his past, I get that. But the words mean what the words mean. If that wasn't what he meant he should take the opportunity to clarify. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I would call a false equivalency "racist" per se but it is an extremely ignorant false equivalence and an extremely bad look. It is not a comment he should be making. End of story. 

I actually don't think Beasley's comments were about race at all, but of course I could be wrong.  In fact, I think they were so far from being about race that it didn't occur to Beasley they would be taken that way by some.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So I don't think he deserves that treatment. What makes you think I would think that? Social media is a cesspit of vile behaviour it is why I choose to avoid it for the most part. He is entitled to his view on vaccines. I disagree with him but he is entitled to his view, people are entitled to disagree but where that becomes abusive he does not deserve that - nobody does.

On the false equivalence you can choose to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his past, I get that. But the words mean what the words mean. If that wasn't what he meant he should take the opportunity to clarify. 

Fair enough, sorry for the assumption.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand that you interpret it as racist, but it's not at all clear to me that is either how Beasley intended it OR how Hughes interpreted it.

I think when they met for OTAs, Hughes was part of the "minority" on the team that was vaccinated, and the majority was unvaccinated, and it quite probably concerned Hughes because at the time he had a pregnant wife at home and covid in pregnancy can be devastating.

But now the "majority" of the team is vaccinated, and I think that's "from the minority to the majority, now the minority don't matter?" that Beasley is talking about.

Tweet this so Beasley can retweet it ASAP!

We can save this season!

34 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Bun

Meat

Bun

Obviously a sandwich. Anyone who says otherwise is spreading misinformation AND disinformation

Speaking of sandwiches, one of the things Pittsburgh does right is Primanti brothers sandwiches—back in the day after a few too many as a college kid, those were extra delicious and warded off the worst of the hangover to come…:doh: 

https://primantibros.com/

• Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Speaking of sandwiches, one of the things Pittsburgh does right is Primanti brothers sandwiches—back in the day after a few too many as a college kid, those were extra delicious and warded off the worst of the hangover to come…:doh: 

https://primantibros.com/

Omg I moved to TN like 10 years ago and seriously miss my trips to Pittsburgh for Met/Pirate games and Primantis. Food sucks down south lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is not impossible he meant that in fairness. I think it is unlikely myself but it is a plausible alternative explanation. 

If he did mean that then he should clarify that was his intention - and again stay off social media because true meaning and nuance can be hard to get across in limited characters! 

28 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

1. He is being persecuted, whether you agree that he should be or not.

How is Beasley being persecuted?  He is putting his views out there on Twitter, others are putting their views out in response.

Abused, yes he is.  I do not and will not get a twitter account and participate because of the rudeness and abuse.  I think it's despicable.

2. He was obviously not making a point about historical oppression.

Agree

3. Some epidemiologist who is advising my provincial government is going on TV and promoting the idea that vaccinated people need to "stop sharing air" with the unvaccinated. Let's not act like this isn't an opinion that is out there.

Agree that Beasley has good points involving vaccinated teammates who are only tested once every 14 days and can go about unmasked possibly spreading Covid to vaccinated and unvaccinated teammates.  This is potentially a real issue and the NFL had better address it.  Their protocols are appropriate for last winter, but that was Then, This is Now.

Unfortunately Beasley is also mixing in all sorts of other stuff, including re-tweeting a genuine MD who falsely claims to be the inventor of mRNA vaccines (Katalin Kariko, man - Say Her Name) and who is spreading misinformation with a trowel, and some stuff that seems to logically contradict his other tweets.

• Like (+1) 3