Allen's commitment to be the best and work ethic on display again

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oh, I was here. It was 90% Rosen. I was a Baker guy, but I knew he wouldn’t be there by the time we picked (I thought the Jets were the ones who would get him.) Allen to me was a huge risk, but a very attractive pick nonetheless. Fortunately, we aren’t all GMs here. 

Well, I'm not a college football expert, not even close. All I recall was Josh Allen was of the 4 QBs mentioned everywhere that would go early, along with Baker, Darnold and Rosen. So I was ecstatic the Bills traded to be able to pick him - obviously 2 of the 4 were already gone. I loved his demeanor and attitude as soon as I saw him on stage. It's only on here after that I kept reading the bad comments. So I can't say "I told you so"  ha ha, but I wasn't one bashing him and Beane either. I mean, since he WAS picked, why not root for him all the way? I just don't get some fans...

My worry was not all that he'd be a bust, but that he'd be "just" good or very good, but not great and elite. He's already exceeded expectations and I'm sure that barring injury he'll be even better this year. Awesome combination of physical skills, work ethic, drive, leadership and that ever elusive "it" factor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

Allen's good friend is Sam Darnold, and Darnold also worked with Palmer in previous offseasons.  But Darnold didn't put in the same effort.  When Palmer corrected Allen about something, he'd work on that point over and over to make sure he got it right.  Darnold would do it once and call it good.  Darnold never really had a chance in New Jersey with their clown car coach, but he didn't do himself any favors either.

Do you have a link to this quote because while you're close to accurate with the words, Palmer has never said it was Darnold who do it once and call it good. That was an assumption by people who read it. 

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Do you have a link to this quote because while you're close to accurate with the words, Palmer has never said it was Darnold who do it once and call it good. That was an assumption by people who read it. 

If there is a big difference between them I'd say it's that Josh coming up through college and into the NFL was told he'd fail that he wasn't good enough he's been working to prove himself right the whole time.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a new article in The Athletic that details the high tech equipment Palmer is using to help his QB clients improve their biomechanics.  The Athletic is a subscription service that I highly recommend.  As an out of towner the only subscriptions I pay for are the Buffalo News and The Athletic.  

"Josh Allen is firing one perfect pass after another to a trio of receivers some 25 yards downfield. As the Bills star hones his mechanics, a few feet away private QB coach Jordan Palmer observes every little maneuver while two other young NFL quarterbacks loosen up. On the sideline there is almost a quarter-million dollars’ worth of high-tech equipment that is another part of Palmer’s unique quarterback ecosystem."

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/?source=freedailyemail

As a Bills fan it's gratifying to see Josh continue to work hard to improve. How many QBs who finish second in the league MVP voting spend a portion of their next off season continuing to work with a private QB coach? It's this commitment to be the best and the work ethic to make it happen that gives me hope for the Buffalo Bills going forward.

Contrast this with Baker Mayfields' attitude. Remember the end of season press conference in 2019 when asked by the press if he was going to hire a private QB tutor after his lackluster sophomore season, he answered that he wouldn't;

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/27/baker-mayfield-says-hell-be-working-hard-this-offseason-but-not-with-a-qb-tutor/

Baker has real talent and played great last year in his new system, but I think his ceiling is limited by his hubris. I think we've seen Mayfields' best ball already. I don't think that's the case with Josh Allen.

Great find, Inigo!

One point that I'll make for those that are skeptical of Palmer as a QB guru:  the article makes clear that he also is working hard to grow and improve in the tools he has and the approaches he uses to help QBs, eg adding and then upgrading the new equipment.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That Athletic article is pretty awesome. It's one of those worthy of subscription.

I must say, though... it leaves me with one worry:

Palmer is stressing the importance of "All 16 go into the ground" as an emphasis on using the ground as a way to take the load of your arm. 

Is it possible that this creates a higher likelihood of severe leg injuries? When you're on your toes, you're more nimble and loose. When your feet are planted flat and basically dug in, basic physics tell me bad things are a comin if someone attacks those legs...

27 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That Athletic article is pretty awesome. It's one of those worthy of subscription.

I must say, though... it leaves me with one worry:

Palmer is stressing the importance of "All 16 go into the ground" as an emphasis on using the ground as a way to take the load of your arm. 

Is it possible that this creates a higher likelihood of severe leg injuries? When you're on your toes, you're more nimble and loose. When your feet are planted flat and basically dug in, basic physics tell me bad things are a comin if someone attacks those legs...

I mean didn't Allen incorporate a hopstep last year that seemed to work well? I don't think Allen would just abandon that.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If there is a big difference between them I'd say it's that Josh coming up through college and into the NFL was told he'd fail that he wasn't good enough he's been working to prove himself right the whole time.

I agree with you. You could tell Darnold he'd fail and it wouldn't matter to him. There's deep underlying differences between them, but the post was about taking a comment from Palmer and inserting Darnold's name into it is not accurate. Palmer never said that. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean didn't Allen incorporate a hopstep last year that seemed to work well? I don't think Allen would just abandon that.

He changed and improved on stuff last offseason... who's to say he doesn't do something drastic this off-season?

Allen is still a bit malleable... which is good. And he trusts Palmer, who seems to be a legit QB guru. Obviously my trepidation is based entirely on an article where I'm not being given access to the entire process, but basic logic tells me 2 feet fully planted and dug into the ground (essentially) would more likely lead to lower leg injuries than feet that aren't.

Again... likely missing an important part of that process. It's just that worrisome bird in the back of my brain.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

15 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oh, I was here. It was 90% Rosen. I was a Baker guy, but I knew he wouldn’t be there by the time we picked (I thought the Jets were the ones who would get him.) Allen to me was a huge risk, but a very attractive pick nonetheless. Fortunately, we aren’t all GMs here. 

I was a Baker guy as well. And to make matters worse I was an Anyone But Allen guy. I viewed Allen probably similarly as Elway did. Intriguing, but the risk of being another Paxton Lynch that would never realize his potential outweighed even the massive potential. Obviously I didn't do a deep dive into Allen. I'm guessing Elway and his staff did but in the end they were too chicken sh*t to take him after busting on big QB's like Oz and Lynch. 

Allen's most underrated attribute is what he has going on between his ears. Both in his ability to learn and read defenses and his ability to be a charismatic leader. This was another thing that Palmer had mentioned in another video. That Allen was just a down to earth guy that could take over a room and that players would want to be around and play for. Interesting, that in the 2021 draft Palmer pointed to Trey Lance as being one of those ultra-cool guys that players will gravitate to. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I was a Baker guy as well. And to make matters worst I was an Anyone But Allen guy. I viewed Allen probably similarly as Elway did. Intriguing, but the risk of being another Paxton Lynch that would never realize his potential outweighed even the massive potential. Obviously I didn't do a deep dive into Allen. I'm guessing Elway and his staff did but in the end they were too chicken sh*t to take him after busting on big QB's like Oz and Lynch. 

Allen's most underrated attribute is what he has going on between his ears. Both in his ability to learn and read defenses and his ability to be a charismatic leader. This was another thing that Palmer had mentioned in another video. That Allen was just a down to earth guy that could take over a room and that players would want to be around and play for. Interesting, that in the 2021 draft Palmer pointed to Trey Lance as being one of those ultra-cool guys that players will gravitate to. 

This is almost word for word the way I feel. I waited to do my deep dive into Allen after we drafted him like a lot of people. I will say before the draft and after initially watching his highlights, I was extremely impressed. Then I got into all the ridiculous scouting reports, talking heads’ opinions, etc. I got brainwashed into thinking Allen was an unsafe pick. After that, I stopped paying attention to what these media scouts had to say about anybody. From now on I trust that the Bills know what they’re doing. 

A quarterbacks personality is very underrated. You have your Ryan Leafs and then you have Josh Allen. Both tip-top physical specimens, but each has a very different mental make-up. I’m not sure how I feel about Trey Lance, I haven’t done my homework on him, but I hear he is similar to Allen. Time for YouTube.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Go check out all the 2018 pre-draft threads in the Archives.  The dumba*** adjective is very applicable to the majority of our favorite Two Bills Drive members!!!   Pretty embarrassing actually to read some of that stuff.

My analysis in 2018 was not on the mark.  It was something like this:

Mayfield-cocky prick who will be an average QB.  I wouldn’t draft him until the 20s.  Not way off

Darnold-Turnover machine that might improve.  Maybe the best of a bad bunch.  Off…at least so far

Allen - A most likely losing lottery ticket who can’t throw. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off 

Rosen - Entitled douche bag who will suck.  I nailed that one

Jackson - More of a passer than people think and less of a runner.  Probably worth a late first.  Backwards but ended up in the right spot.

I didn’t want the Bills to draft any of them and considered that maybe trading for Cousins would have worked better.  Oops.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Mayfield-cocky prick who will be an average QB.  I wouldn’t draft him until the 20s.  Not way off

Darnold-Turnover machine that might improve.  Maybe the best of a bad bunch.  Off…at least so far

Allen - A most likely losing lottery ticket who can’t throw. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off 

Jackson - More of a passer than people think and less of a runner.  Probably worth a late first.  Backwards but ended up in the right spot.

I didn’t want the Bills to draft any of them and considered that maybe trading for Cousins would have worked better.  Oops.

Brudda by anodda mudda? 

I wanted the Bills to sign Cousins.

Except I thought much better of Rosen than you did.  I thought he was an entitled douche bag who would be an OK NFL QB.

• Vomit 1

16 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oh I remember, because I absolutely hated Rosen and had him ranked last of the top 5 projected first rounders.  People were losing their minds around d here defending Rosen.  Living in LA, it was pretty well known what douche he was on and off the field, lack of passion for the game, and  poor leadership skills.  I had several friends who personally vouched for that having known him in some capacity.

I had my rankings on draft night Baker, Allen, Darnold, Lamar……….and way down the list Rosen.  And even though I had Darnold over Lamar, I preferred drafting Lamar over Darnold because I felt his ceiling was higher even though his floor was lower in terms of risk on how he would project to NFL.  Even started a thread titled “My case for Lamar” if Baker and Allen were gone and we could stay put and not trade up and take Lamar.

But once the news was clear Browns were gonna draft Baker, I was all in on the do anything to get Josh Allen train.  And now he is already my favorite Bills player to watch play of all time.  Him and Barry Sanders are my two favorites to watch play of all time because on any given play they can do something seemingly impossible or mind blowing like no other.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh I remember, because I absolutely hated Rosen and had him ranked last of the top 5 projected first rounders.  People were losing their minds around d here defending Rosen.  Living in LA, it was pretty well known what douche he was on and off the field, lack of passion for the game, and  poor leadership skills.  I had several friends who personally vouched for that having known him in some capacity.

My memory is that the board was pretty divided pro and con and "losing our minds" either way re: Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My memory is that the board was pretty divided pro and con and "losing our minds" either way re: Rosen.

I would say it was more Pro than Con though on Rosen as I and some others were definitely in the minority on ranking Rosen below the other 4 guys.  

But it wasn’t really a ruckus and hotly disputed topic really until Allen was drafted though, that’s when the losing of the minds really commenced and the divide on the board began on right or wrong Josh lol.  

22 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Agree!

Now he needs to command the locker room and get his teammates off Twitter wars

I’d rather he do his talking on the football field 

43 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I wanted Jackson/Darnold/Allen, in that order.

As Allen will most likely get a contract soon, I took a stroll down memory lane in the Archives folder looking at the perceptions of Allen leading up to the draft.   Let's just say he was treated like he had lepresy because most people didn't take the time to watch his film, learn his history, current environment, etc.  They just took what the pundits said and ran with it.  However to give credit, there were several posters who started to catch on and realize he was worth being drafted by the Bills.  Now three years later these same fans are defending Allen tooth and nail using the same argument they neglected to see before.  It's great to see and all part of being a Bills fan.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

IMO during draft only reason to sign Jackson was continuity of offense if Bills kept Tyrod. 

Once Bills traded Tyrod I had no interest in Jackson.

Never had any interest in Rosen. 

Darnold and Mayfield were QBs who needed specific (non-QB running) offenses to succeed and did not see we had staff/OL to make them successful.

Allen was a high ceiling QB who needed at least a year in development to be successful.   P5t5rman was a practice QB only and AJ McCarron was placeholder QB whose upside was less than Dalton. 

Allen was thrown into fire due to lack of options.