Allen's commitment to be the best and work ethic on display again

There's a new article in The Athletic that details the high tech equipment Palmer is using to help his QB clients improve their biomechanics.  The Athletic is a subscription service that I highly recommend.  As an out of towner the only subscriptions I pay for are the Buffalo News and The Athletic.  

"Josh Allen is firing one perfect pass after another to a trio of receivers some 25 yards downfield. As the Bills star hones his mechanics, a few feet away private QB coach Jordan Palmer observes every little maneuver while two other young NFL quarterbacks loosen up. On the sideline there is almost a quarter-million dollars’ worth of high-tech equipment that is another part of Palmer’s unique quarterback ecosystem."

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/?source=freedailyemail

As a Bills fan it's gratifying to see Josh continue to work hard to improve. How many QBs who finish second in the league MVP voting spend a portion of their next off season continuing to work with a private QB coach? It's this commitment to be the best and the work ethic to make it happen that gives me hope for the Buffalo Bills going forward.

Contrast this with Baker Mayfields' attitude. Remember the end of season press conference in 2019 when asked by the press if he was going to hire a private QB tutor after his lackluster sophomore season, he answered that he wouldn't;

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/27/baker-mayfield-says-hell-be-working-hard-this-offseason-but-not-with-a-qb-tutor/

Baker has real talent and played great last year in his new system, but I think his ceiling is limited by his hubris. I think we've seen Mayfields' best ball already. I don't think that's the case with Josh Allen.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 7

It takes fuel, oxygen and heat to make a fire. If any of the 3 is missing then there is no fire.  In an SAT type analogy, it takes special talent (physical and/or mental) a nurturing environment that can foster growth (family, community, coaches, peers and opportunity) and true passion to be great at anything.  I think JAQB17 is upper echelon in all 3 components.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a new article in The Athletic that details the high tech equipment Palmer is using to help his QB clients improve their biomechanics.  The Athletic is a subscription service that I highly recommend.  As an out of towner the only subscriptions I pay for are the Buffalo News and The Athletic.  

"Josh Allen is firing one perfect pass after another to a trio of receivers some 25 yards downfield. As the Bills star hones his mechanics, a few feet away private QB coach Jordan Palmer observes every little maneuver while two other young NFL quarterbacks loosen up. On the sideline there is almost a quarter-million dollars’ worth of high-tech equipment that is another part of Palmer’s unique quarterback ecosystem."

https://theathletic.com/2719015/2021/07/23/this-technology-could-give-bills-qb-josh-allen-and-bengals-qb-joe-burrow-a-big-boost-in-their-nfl-careers/?source=freedailyemail

As a Bills fan it's gratifying to see Josh continue to work hard to improve. How many QBs who finish second in the league MVP voting spend a portion of their next off season continuing to work with a private QB coach? It's this commitment to be the best and the work ethic to make it happen that gives me hope for the Buffalo Bills going forward.

Contrast this with Baker Mayfields' attitude. Remember the end of season press conference in 2019 when asked by the press if he was going to hire a private QB tutor after his lackluster sophomore season, he answered that he wouldn't;

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/27/baker-mayfield-says-hell-be-working-hard-this-offseason-but-not-with-a-qb-tutor/

Baker has real talent and played great last year in his new system, but I think his ceiling is limited by his hubris. I think we've seen Mayfields' best ball already. I don't think that's the case with Josh Allen.

This is exactly what set him apart from the other quarterbacks of his class. The guy has been an underdog his whole life. There’s no doubt he would’ve went #1 if teams knew what they know. Thank God the Browns and Jets GMs are dumb ***es.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to Allen's commitment to be the best and work ethic on display again
2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is exactly what set him apart from the other quarterbacks of his class. The guy has been an underdog his whole life. There’s no doubt he would’ve went #1 if teams knew what they know. Thank God the Browns and Jets GMs are dumb ***es.

‘Were’ dumbasses. They got canned for their dumbassery.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

I am so glad to hear about this.  Allen worked with Palmer the previous two offseasons and the results were as amazing as we could have hoped for.  I wondered a little whether Allen would continue to bear down, working to maintain what he got right previously and to improve where possible.  I'm delighted to hear that Allen is back at it.

Allen's good friend is Sam Darnold, and Darnold also worked with Palmer in previous offseasons.  But Darnold didn't put in the same effort.  When Palmer corrected Allen about something, he'd work on that point over and over to make sure he got it right.  Darnold would do it once and call it good.  Darnold never really had a chance in New Jersey with their clown car coach, but he didn't do himself any favors either.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

It takes fuel, oxygen and heat to make a fire. If any of the 3 is missing then there is no fire.  In an SAT type analogy, it takes special talent (physical and/or mental) a nurturing environment that can foster growth (family, community, coaches, peers and opportunity) and true passion to be great at anything.  I think JAQB17 is upper echelon in all 3 components.

And a chemical reaction also - fire triangle was replaced with the fire tetrahedron! 

36 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I am so glad to hear about this.  Allen worked with Palmer the previous two offseasons and the results were as amazing as we could have hoped for.  I wondered a little whether Allen would continue to bear down, working to maintain what he got right previously and to improve where possible.  I'm delighted to hear that Allen is back at it.

Allen's good friend is Sam Darnold, and Darnold also worked with Palmer in previous offseasons.  But Darnold didn't put in the same effort.  When Palmer corrected Allen about something, he'd work on that point over and over to make sure he got it right.  Darnold would do it once and call it good.  Darnold never really had a chance in New Jersey with their clown car coach, but he didn't do himself any favors either.

It's rare to find a QB with the physical talent that Josh possesses. It's also rare to find one with the burning desire to be the best of the best. But the rarest of them all is to find both in the same QB. How lucky are we to have found this unicorn?

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

But Darnold didn't put in the same effort.  When Palmer corrected Allen about something, he'd work on that point over and over to make sure he got it right.  Darnold would do it once and call it good.  Darnold never really had a chance in New Jersey with their clown car coach, but he didn't do himself any favors either.

2 quotes I like, that I read somewhere:

-Practice doesnt make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.

-Dont practice until you get it right.  Practice until you cannot  possibly get it wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The OP made a good point/comparison.

But you are getting carried away.    

The Patriots dominated the league for nearly 20 years using a very different approach............it'll take a lot of "nurturing" for anyone to accomplish half of what they've done.

Most NFL dynasties were built on competition for jobs,  motivation by any means necessary and cold blooded management decisions.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Allen is the most physically gifted QB ever to play the game. He is far above Mayfield in that department and will only keep moving farther away from him...

Mayfield is OK...until you ask him to win a game himself. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Go check out all the 2018 pre-draft threads in the Archives.  The dumba*** adjective is very applicable to the majority of our favorite Two Bills Drive members!!!   Pretty embarrassing actually to read some of that stuff.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Baker is not Josh Allen though that’s like comparing a Honda Civic to a Lamborghini  

7 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Go check out all the 2018 pre-draft threads in the Archives.  The dumba*** adjective is very applicable to the majority of our favorite Two Bills Drive members!!!   Pretty embarrassing actually to read some of that stuff.

Oh, I was here. It was 90% Rosen. I was a Baker guy, but I knew he wouldn’t be there by the time we picked (I thought the Jets were the ones who would get him.) Allen to me was a huge risk, but a very attractive pick nonetheless. Fortunately, we aren’t all GMs here. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The OP made a good point/comparison.

But you are getting carried away.    

The Patriots dominated the league for nearly 20 years using a very different approach............it'll take a lot of "nurturing" for anyone to accomplish half of what they've done.

Most NFL dynasties were built on competition for jobs,  motivation by any means necessary and cold blooded management decisions.

I do not get your point.  How does an individual's quest to be great track with how an organization manages its business in a two decade run of excellence?  Josh's back story is part of what makes him who he is.  As he has often said "You bloom where you are planted."  Family, Firebaugh, coaches at every level, Reedley, Wyoming, the Bill and his unique situation with Palmer.  Surround yourself with people that believe in you wherever you can find them and bust your butt to give them the satisfaction of being right.