Michael Thomas out for start of season after surgery (update: won’t return in 2021)

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I know a lot people disagree, but I think the Saints have handed out some really bad contracts when Brees’ retirement should have been taken into consideration. They have all these big skill position contracts, but uncertainty at the QB position. It’s going to make rebuilding very difficult. The mistake is the belief some have that New Orleans are contenders. 

Their defense was great last year as I recall - but availability of some key guys could be an issue. There was some rumor yesterday that they were trading for Xavier Howard. Which would be really stupid IMO 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I know a lot people disagree, but I think the Saints have handed out some really bad contracts when Brees’ retirement should have been taken into consideration. They have all these big skill position contracts, but uncertainty at the QB position. It’s going to make rebuilding very difficult. The mistake is the belief some have that New Orleans are contenders. 

No one will disagree. They are terrible at contracts and managing the salary cap

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You remember the championship game where basically every one of our WRs were banged up? 

You can never predict exactly what position will be the most banged up come playoff time..

I will say, the improvement that is needed would be better O-line run blocking and better TE production. I wouldn't look at the AFC championship game outcome and come to the conclusion that more WRs is the fix.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

No one will disagree. They are terrible at contracts and managing the salary cap

I don't disagree about the current contenders part. 

As for the cap and the contracts, I would argue that they have been very good at kicking the can down the road and retaining talent to prolong their SB window. They got screwed by the league with the non-PI that kept them out of the SB in 2018, which had they advanced and won would quite possibly have been Brees' swan song. They made a run the following season, but Brees' arm looked dead by then end of the season and the team was flat in the playoffs. IMO, the window closed with that loss. Their mistake was not recognizing Brees arm was dead before last season and instead kicking the salary cap can down the road for 1 more season.

In fairness to the Saints organization, the city credits Brees arrival with saving the team from moving to San Antonio after Katrina.  It would have been impossible to move on from him before he retired, and it would have been hard to tear it down with him still playing in 2020.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This would put his return toward October 

If the Saints aren't just a bad football team this season then Sean Payton deserves a lot of credit.

That last tweet about the sleepers the Saints are "very high" on reminds me of the talk around the Bills during the tear down under Donahoe:

"Yes, the Bills lost Ted Washington......but they are "very high" on young DT Leif Larson......they think he was a steal in the 6th round of that draft and a better fit in Gregg Williams system."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where is his fantasy value? Not sure I trust this timeline. I know he tried to play through it at the end of the season last year because it was Drew’s last go around, and probably should not have.

I wouldn't touch him unless he really falls.

This injury, plus the uncertainty at QB for the Saints. A few red flags for sure 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yikes.

But I still think the Saints biggest problem isn't WR it's someone to throw the ball to the WR

In light of this fact, I think they should sign some cb’s. They have a quarterback who throws beautiful balls to them.

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Saints are eating this year anyway. Deal with their cap crunch and start the rebuild next year. It hurts Jameis Winston though because I thought he had a shot with Thomas of playing well enough to win the job into 2022.

I like Sean Payton as a HC..........but people forget that he is very capable of fielding 7-9 teams.   And that was WITH Drew Brees.    Winston has talent but he couldn't get a very talented Bucs team to the playoffs despite throwing for 5,000 yard with a very talented group of skill players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.