Michael Thomas out for start of season after surgery (update: won’t return in 2021)

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like Sean Payton as a HC..........but people forget that he is very capable of fielding 7-9 teams.   And that was WITH Drew Brees.    Winston has talent but he couldn't get a very talented Bucs team to the playoffs despite throwing for 5,000 yard with a very talented group of skill players.

It was with record setting bad defenses though. I think it was the worst 3 year stretch of defense from one franchise in history. I don't the Saints are playoff team this year but I also don't think they will be a hot mess. They have too many good players and the NFC is meh. Can Winston avoid the big errors? That is the question. I think it becomes harder without their 1 top end receiver. I think there is still a good season or two in Winston somewhere. He won't do it consistently he isn't dedicated enough but I think he could have a season or two of lightening in a bottle because I don't think his downfall is talent it is application.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jobot said:

So the Saints ignored/ forgot about a $40million asset for 6 months..

If true, the Saints head office might be even dumber than Michael Thomas...

think they forgot him or… do you think the guy that’s acted incredibly erratic since his big contract might’ve checked out on taking calls and the team can’t force much on him during the offseason? 

I’ll say, the other two are a bit old but I can’t think of many extensions for huge dollars that have gone worse, quicker, than the Saints trio of graham, gallette, and now Thomas.

All three were huge deals and two were gone within a year and Thomas has been a non stop major in house issue where I think they would love to walk away from him if they could. 

it’s so rare to give guys monster deals and inside of a year be so far off the rails. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Big rumours of a Jax - Saints deal involving Henderson and Thomas. 

strongly suspect it just isn’t happening this year. Even if Jax makes a ton of sense- moving an injured player with a ton of dead cap is a struggle for both sides. 

in 22 it becomes a little more feasible but hard to slot in a player name on the other side a full season out 

Just now, NoSaint said:

strongly suspect it just isn’t happening this year. Even if Jax makes a ton of sense- moving an injured player with a ton of dead cap is a struggle for both sides. 

in 22 it becomes a little more feasible but hard to slot in a player name on the other side a full season out 

Normally I'd agree, but I have long suspected New Orleans are fully prepared for an "eat it" year in 2021. Not saying a trade will happen but I don't think it is as unfathomable as the initial cap number might make you think.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Normally I'd agree, but I have long suspected New Orleans are fully prepared for an "eat it" year in 2021. Not saying a trade will happen but I don't think it is as unfathomable as the initial cap number might make you think.

Most of the dead money of a trade today would hit next year though. And I don’t think that’s an exciting prospect for them. 

if they do it next off season after June 1 it becomes at least somewhat manageable to absorb without tanking 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, Jobot said:

So the Saints ignored/ forgot about a $40million asset for 6 months..

If true, the Saints head office might be even dumber than Michael Thomas...

The guys on NFL radio were talking about this earlier today.

The Saints didn’t forget.  It sounds like Thomas went Radio Silence on them.  Would not return calls nor show up to camps.

They made it sound like there was a disagreement and Thomas didn’t follow up because he didn’t want the surgery.  He was going the wait it out route and therefore rather than admit several months ago it was not getting better - he waited as long as possible.

He felt the Saints released the news to make him look bad and apparently it worked because the fans are riding him hard for delaying the surgery and now costing the team time in the season.

Sounds to me like 2 parties getting ready for a bitter divorce.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:59 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

If the Saints aren't just a bad football team this season then Sean Payton deserves a lot of credit.

That last tweet about the sleepers the Saints are "very high" on reminds me of the talk around the Bills during the tear down under Donahoe:

"Yes, the Bills lost Ted Washington......but they are "very high" on young DT Leif Larson......they think he was a steal in the 6th round of that draft and a better fit in Gregg Williams system."

“Very high on” is the coachspeak equivalent of “we are praying he doesn’t suck.”

By the way, has Lief Larson managed to bend at the waist yet?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.