New John Mayer album “Sob Rock” is fantastic!

JaCrispy

8 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I was wondering how we got from Mayer to Loggins/Nicks, then remembered Exiled was participating in the thread 😂

I think we were talking about playing guitar and singing at same time.  The bassist accomplishing it on the Loggins version came to mind.   Then Gug said he never heard the song or Stevie/Kenny version!

That's how we got here!  Anyway, I will take technical and a harder skill set than entertaining! Which I think Mayer accomplishes...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is the top 100 songs of 1978 and after a quick review, that tune is one of about five that I am not familiar with.

Between Queen, the Bee Gees, Boston, Grease, Styx, ELO and Wings (one of your faves, I'm sure 😂), I was a pretty busy young man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1978

Now see, from that list, I don’t know:

#8 Love Is Thicker Than Water - Andy Gibb

#12 I Go Crazy -Paul Davis

from the top #12 alone. Maybe I heard them and don’t want to remember, it happens.

• Agree 2

I'm losing a lot of respect for you.....Andy Gibb was my first concert and took the first (of many) love of my life 😁

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Now see, from that list, I don’t know:

#8 Love Is Thicker Than Water - Andy Gibb

#12 I Go Crazy -Paul Davis

from the top #12 alone. Maybe I heard them and don’t want to remember, it happens.

22 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm losing a lot of respect for you.....Andy Gibb was my first concert and took the first (of many) love of my life 😁

I knew Shadow Dancing, that should count for something!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/26/2021 at 8:00 AM, The Poojer said:

John Mayer is Dead to me!!!

I was never a fan until I saw Dead & Co. and thought "This Mayer kid, he's ok...".  Would (will) definitely see them again!

He also rocks a lot of Camp High gear, which is just a couple degrees of separation away from me, via VT. ✌️

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, The Poojer said:

Have you listened to the Highwomen with Maren, Brandi Carlisle, Amanda Shires and Natalie Hemby???  That's some pretty solid *****!!!

Just got around to listening to this. On the first time around I really like "Old Soul" 

• Like (+1) 1

Here’s the latest video off of Sob Rock from Mayer...love the cliches all throughout...with the 80s, you can’t take yourself too seriously...and I think Mayor does a good job here, while delivering a catchy pop tune (ala Steve Winwood or Don Henley)...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, JaCrispy said:

A “throwback” album that samples many 80s sounds...songs are very catchy, with excellent guitar, and lyrics...very enjoyable if you’re just relaxing or driving around with the windows down...👍

I suppose I'm in the minority but I like him doing this more than I do playing Grateful Dead music. He is very talented. So is Warren Haynes but I don't consider what they do to be Grateful Dead music.

Jmo.....nothing more/nothing less.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

What are you expecting?  Prancing around like Mick Jagger? 

IMO... Meh...

That's probably why he likes to play with Dead & Co.  He's an introvert.   Just think, of course he's gonna be a weak front man, he's prone to panic attacks. Yet, he gets through it... 

Good thing he isn't the front man for Dead and Co. It's Bob's band and its his music. He was co-lead singer/frontman for the Grateful Dead when Jerry was alive. With Jerry gone Bob is now the face of Grateful Dead music as far as surviving members go.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Good thing he isn't the front man for Dead and Co. It's Bob's band and its his music. He was co-lead singer/frontman for the Grateful Dead when Jerry was alive. With Jerry gone Bob is now the face of Grateful Dead music as far as surviving members go.

Very true, but I do enjoy it when the "Baby Dead" encourage Bobby into picking up the pace a bit

14 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Very true, but I do enjoy it when the "Baby Dead" encourage Bobby into picking up the pace a bit

Probably hard for him to do that given he is in his early 70's. When you factor all the partying he has done he has lived a "hard" 70 plus years.

13 hours ago, Greg S said:

Probably hard for him to do that given he is in his early 70's. When you factor all the partying he has done he has lived a "hard" 70 plus years.

But,  not as hard as it could have been. 

He's probably still ticking because he never really got into it (heroin that is), never hooked.

https://relix.com/news/detail/bob_weir_talks_carrying_jerry_garcias_dope_on_tour_dealing_with_painkillers_and_more_in_revealing_interview/

Seemed to always moderate

"...While Weir admitted that he never got into heroin, he did occasionally partake with Garcia. “Every now and again he would invite me to join him, and I would. But I never got into it. It was fun to go into his world on a given evening after a show, but it’s not a place I found I wanted to stay—or at least that part of his world. It was fun going into that little corner of his world where he didn’t let other folks in. A place to visit but you wouldn’t want to live there. He did.” ..."

On 7/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, JaCrispy said:

A “throwback” album that samples many 80s sounds...songs are very catchy, with excellent guitar, and lyrics...very enjoyable if you’re just relaxing or driving around with the windows down...👍

Thanks for sharing, great song, just wish it was a bit longer. It's aching for a pronounced guitar solo imo. 

Listening to the rest of the album the lyric that struck me first time through was "I shouldn't leave messages in every little song". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But,  not as hard as it could have been. 

He's probably still ticking because he never really got into it (heroin that is), never hooked.

https://relix.com/news/detail/bob_weir_talks_carrying_jerry_garcias_dope_on_tour_dealing_with_painkillers_and_more_in_revealing_interview/

Seemed to always moderate

"...While Weir admitted that he never got into heroin, he did occasionally partake with Garcia. “Every now and again he would invite me to join him, and I would. But I never got into it. It was fun to go into his world on a given evening after a show, but it’s not a place I found I wanted to stay—or at least that part of his world. It was fun going into that little corner of his world where he didn’t let other folks in. A place to visit but you wouldn’t want to live there. He did.” ..."

Maybe now he is mostly clean but in his early days there was drinking, cigarettes, weed, acid, coke, as well as the occasional heroin. He definitely lived a "hard" 70 plus years. All of them did. But I think Jerry and Brent were the only two who were addicted to heroin. Pigpen drank himself to death. I think he was the only member of the band who really didn't do drugs as he preferred alcohol.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.