New John Mayer album “Sob Rock” is fantastic!

JaCrispy

He opened for the Stones in Philly. We caught a couple songs but were not impressed at all and ended up hanging out in the beer lines. I am very impressed though with all the women he’s had. :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/insider/celebrity/john-mayer-girlfriend-dating-history-taylor-swift-a4003106.html%3famp

Taylor Swift though. :sick:

27 minutes ago, Rico said:

He opened for the Stones in Philly. We caught a couple songs but were not impressed at all and ended up hanging out in the beer lines. I am very impressed though with all the women he’s had. :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/insider/celebrity/john-mayer-girlfriend-dating-history-taylor-swift-a4003106.html%3famp

Taylor Swift though. :sick:

Come on... You gotta admit, not many can play this way:

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come on... You gotta admit, not many can play this way:

Not exactly apples-to-apples, but he reminds me a little of Joe Bonamassa: great guitar player, weak front man.

Just now, Rico said:

Not exactly apples-to-apples, but he reminds me a little of Joe Bonamassa: great guitar player, weak front man.

What are you expecting?  Prancing around like Mick Jagger? 

IMO... Meh...

That's probably why he likes to play with Dead & Co.  He's an introvert.   Just think, of course he's gonna be a weak front man, he's prone to panic attacks. Yet, he gets through it... 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What are you expecting?  Prancing around like Mick Jagger? 

IMO... Meh...

That's probably why he likes to play with Dead & Co.  He's an introvert.   Just think, of course he's gonna be a weak front man, he's prone to panic attacks. Yet, he gets through it... 

No, I don’t expect prancing around like Mick, but I think he would be better served in a band just playing & not singing / being the main focus. Bonamassa is much better with Beth Hart. Maybe like you said, that’s how he is playing with the Dead, I don’t know, no Jerry no sale (that’s just me though, glad others are into them).

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

No, I don’t expect prancing around like Mick, but I think he would be better served in a band just playing & not singing / being the main focus. Bonamassa is much better with Beth Hart. Maybe like you said, that’s how he is playing with the Dead, I don’t know, no Jerry no sale (that’s just me though, glad others are into them).

I think the amazing part that your missing is that he's able to play the guitar that way and even carry a single note. You're splitting hairs with his singing.

I am not an Xs and Os guy... But since day one of releasing the song "Neon" even I could hear the intricacies.

I know it's poppy... Maybe that's hard to get past.  I guess we just agree to disagree how much of a feat this really is...Letting alone singing it.  Like I said, not many out there. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Again, not an "Xs & Os" guy... But I noticed Joe Bonamassa stops playing a lot of times and sings separately.   Maybe a bit more polished w/the show, but not better IMHO...

Is it harder to sing and strum at same time?

His backing band holds the rhythm down.  He's there to solo and throw licks in.  BB King wasn't much of a strummer, either, for the same reason.  I'm a huge Mayer (the guitarist) fan, but I do think Bonamassa is the better player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

His backing band holds the rhythm down.  He's there to solo and throw licks in.  BB King wasn't much of a strummer, either, for the same reason.  I'm a huge Mayer (the guitarist) fan, but I do think Bonamassa is the better player.

It maybe cheesy... But here's one of my guilty pleasure songs... AND I am a hairy enough man to admit it! 😆  We all know Kenny Loggins duet with Stevie Nicks... Ever hear the version when Loggins teamed up with his bassist: George Hawkins Jr.

Few of the better comments:

"If I tried to play the bass line to this and sing at the same time my brain would explode.  Kudos to Mr. Bass Man."

"This is the beardiest version of this song I've ever seen or heard."

On that note.  Bassists that sang lead:

http://www.thecavanproject.com/13-bass-playing-lead-singers/

"The science behind it is that the bass is a rhythm instrument while the voice is a melodic instrument, and trying to do them at the same time can be “pat your tummy, rub your head” difficult. That’s not to say impossible as the following list of talented bass playing lead singers proves!"

IMO... Mayer is better technically all around, singing included while actually playing is harder.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It maybe cheesy... But here's one of my guilty pleasure songs... AND I am a hairy enough man to admit it! 😆  We all know Kenny Loggins duet with Stevie Nicks... Ever hear the version when Loggins teamed up with his bassist: George Hawkins Jr.

Before today, I'd never heard - nor heard OF - this song.

I greatly value “entertaining’” over “technically proficient”.  Best though to be both like say Macca in your singing bass player’s list.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  Really.  I actually watched the video the first time you posted it.  Never heard it.

Fairly big in the late 70’s.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

I greatly value “entertaining’” over “technically proficient”.  Best though to be both like say Macca in your singing bass player’s list.

Fairly big in the late 70’s.

Seriously not sure how I missed it.  I was old enough to be in tune with the hits in the late 70s and also grew up with siblings 2 and 4 years older than me who were always listening to music.  Crazy!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Seriously not sure how I missed it.  I was old enough to be in tune with the hits in the late 70s and also grew up with siblings 2 and 4 years older than me who were always listening to music.  Crazy!

Reached #5 in the Fall of 1978…. easy to miss though after the summer of Some Girls.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whenever_I_Call_You_"Friend"

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

Reached #5 in the Fall of 1978…. easy to miss though after the summer of Some Girls.

This is the top 100 songs of 1978 and after a quick review, that tune is one of about five that I am not familiar with.

Between Queen, the Bee Gees, Boston, Grease, Styx, ELO and Wings (one of your faves, I'm sure 😂), I was a pretty busy young man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1978

Edited by Gugny

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Just looked it up.  Made it up to #5 in 1978. Was actually written by Melissa Manchester and Loggins.  She did a version with another dude. Logging and Manchester never got together to do a version, just wrote it, it one meeting.

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

Missed this. Ooops. 

Me personally... Ain't big on the entertaining part, theatrics.  But everyone probably knows that.  🤷 😆

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.