Jump to content

Cleveland Indians announce their new name: Cleveland Guardians


YoloinOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

Worst name and worst logo in baseball.  Likely in all professional sports.  Horrible.

I love it when change comes to baseball because I know that you will not disappoint. You have, again, given a ridiculous hot take. Thank you so much.

 

 

 

It's a team nickname people, it matters not.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

 

The Texas Ticks seems natural name for a team.

 

There's a real tick, called the: "Lone Star Tick."

 

I'd post the  logo but I am supposedly on the repeat offender list here.  Marv Levy would say, an over-officious jerk's list.  😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's a real tick, called the: "Lone Star Tick."

 

I'd post the  logo but I am supposedly on the repeat offender list here.  Marv Levy would say, an over-officious jerk's list.  😆

 

I am aware of it and list.  Supposedly when bit it can make you allergic to ticks.

 

And evidently I am not first to suggest a Tick as name.  Did a search afterwards and found a column on suggestions of sports teams named after insects with it.  It certainly would be a fearsome team name.

For Cleveland I think Cleveland Catfish would have been a better name. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

I am aware of it and list.  Supposedly when bit it can make you allergic to ticks.

 

And evidently I am not first to suggest a Tick as name.  Did a search afterwards and found a column on suggestions of sports teams named after insects with it.  It certainly would be a fearsome team name.

For Cleveland I think Cleveland Catfish would have been a better name. 

Cleveland Carp. Now that's a fearsome name. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

I am aware of it and list.  Supposedly when bit it can make you allergic to ticks.

 

And evidently I am not first to suggest a Tick as name.  Did a search afterwards and found a column on suggestions of sports teams named after insects with it.  It certainly would be a fearsome team name.

For Cleveland I think Cleveland Catfish would have been a better name. 

Is “the ticks” much worse than “the zips”?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Dear dumb hat,

I'm not down with the racist crap being thrown at you, but would like to point out these are your truths and perceptions which are not unique but are they shared by American Indians?  Have you listened to how they feel about something that directly refers to their race?

 

Will we see American Indians protesting the replacement of their beloved name with "Guardians"?

 

For the record I totally get that these are my perceptions and that others don't share them. I don't think I ever lobbied for retaining Chief Wahoo, I'm just happy that I got my dumb hat before it was too late. The reality is that I don't/won't wear it publicly as I understand that others view it as offensive. I considered wearing it when I went to an Indians game a few weeks ago but decided against it.  

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

For the record I totally get that these are my perceptions and that others don't share them. I don't think I ever lobbied for retaining Chief Wahoo, I'm just happy that I got my dumb hat before it was too late. The reality is that I don't/won't wear it publicly as I understand that others view it as offensive. I considered wearing it when I went to an Indians game a few weeks ago but decided against it.  

Yeah... You'd look like "that guy" w/the RebelWear... The with oppositional disorder.

 

Anyway... It's really just a shift in the way the majority of people think. The old way is becoming the minority. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 8:07 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come to think of it, are there any insect named teams?

 

 

They missed an opportunity to change the name to Midges in honor of Joba. I would've bought that dumb hat for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After digesting it for a few days, it's not bad. 

 

It's jarring for a name change, especially in baseball where you have had teams named the same thing for over 100 years.

 

But guardians is very similar in cadence to Indians.  The C letter mark, which I assume will be the primary logo and on the hat, is an improvement over the drab block C they currently use.  The color scheme and aesthetics are basically the same.  In 2 years, nobody will notice the difference or care

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

After digesting it for a few days, it's not bad. 

 

It's jarring for a name change, especially in baseball where you have had teams named the same thing for over 100 years.

 

But guardians is very similar in cadence to Indians.  The C letter mark, which I assume will be the primary logo and on the hat, is an improvement over the drab block C they currently use.  The color scheme and aesthetics are basically the same.  In 2 years, nobody will notice the difference or care

Kinda funny how names settle in.  Back in the old, old days, teams had numerous nicknames and changed more often.

 

Just this past June... Edmonton of CFL went back to the name they used for a year in 1922.  Edmonton Elks.  Still EE...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, YoloinOhio said:

 

 


 

 

Its Baseball - you already have dumb names like Red Sox and White Sox - Cleveland Baseball - should have capitalized on the football popularity and gone with:

 

 

Cleveland Brown Sox - perfectly fitting for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:


 

 

Its Baseball - you already have dumb names like Red Sox and White Sox - Cleveland Baseball - should have capitalized on the football popularity and gone with:

 

 

Cleveland Brown Sox - perfectly fitting for them.

It can be worse...

 

The Cincinnati Reds during the 1950s "Red Scare" went by: the "Red Legs."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

But guardians is very similar in cadence to Indians.  The C letter mark, which I assume will be the primary logo and on the hat, is an improvement over the drab block C they currently use.  The color scheme and aesthetics are basically the same. 

Solved (from the dan patrick show)

 

They basically substituted the letters "In" for the letters "Guar"

 

And apparently the shape of the logo hasnt changed.  (I dont follow baseball so I have no idea)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...