Cleveland Indians announce their new name: Cleveland Guardians

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Come to think of it, are there any insect named teams?

Well there’s the hornets, yellow jackets, bees…and I think there is a college somewhere with the spiders.

Edit: yeah U of Richmond are the spiders.

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm fairly certain certain there is a minor league team in Sugarland Texas named the Skeeters.

also yes. There’s boll weevils(!) too apparently.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Can it really even be debated that the old red-faced logo was offensive? A caricature left over from a time and place where that was acceptable. I’m honestly surprised it made it this long.

Even the characters name was a slang term for Natives.

I am usually in the “everyone is so easily offended these days” camp, but I do have to agree it is the right thing to do to eliminate this type of imagery from pro sports.

Native Americans were the original marginalized group in this country. You can’t go back and change that, but you can learn and correct things moving forward. 

The Chief Wahoo aspect is a bit of a moot point. It’s been retired from the Indians uniform and barred from the Hall of Fame for three years.

Edited by NobesBLO13

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

Still Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins to me.

A few years ago I saw this coming and my youngest remembered something I said - resulting in a Chief Wahoo hat for my birthday.  Greatest gift my kids have given me. The Guardians logo will never be as iconic as Chief Wahoo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

ahh yes. This is..so “iconic.” 

05D53FBC-7051-48C8-97AF-CDE9D15AEF3B.jpeg

That's not the image on my hat that I referred to as iconic. 

With that said, your image shows an ultra happy/confident guy who thinks he's gonna hit the next pitch over the wall. I'm cool with that regardless the color of his skin.

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

With that said, your image shows an ultra happy/confident guy who thinks he's gonna hit the next pitch over the wall. I'm cool with that regardless the color of his skin.

Nah, his face is beet red. 

Pretty sure he's choking. 

Regarding the name: it sucks

But the minimalist logo is fine. Like others have said there's tons of potential to do a classy logo with the guardian theme

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

A few years ago I saw this coming and my youngest remembered something I said - resulting in a Chief Wahoo hat for my birthday.  Greatest gift my kids have given me. The Guardians logo will never be as iconic as Chief Wahoo. 

The only thing constant in life is change and I get it. But I'm very  disenfranchised about how politics has taken over sports. I much preferred sports as an escape from the hum drum of every day life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The only thing constant in life is change and I get it. But I'm very  disenfranchised about how politics has taken over sports. I much preferred sports as an escape from the hum drum of every day life.

Like others have said, the Indian name was dumb even outside of politics. I understood that after my first couple years of history class in grade school. I think this was one of the few good things to come out of the "woke" era so far...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Like others have said, the Indian name was dumb even outside of politics. I understood that after my first couple years of history class in grade school. I think this was one of the few good things to come out of the "woke" era so far...

Some prefer dumb for they fit in.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Some escape it for the one's that get their heritage hammered with a caricature,  plastered all over the place.   Where do they get to escape?

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Some escape it for the one's that get their heritage hammered with a caricature,  plastered all over the place.   Where do they get to escape?

Chief Wahoo is already gone. Which caricature is the issue?

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

it’s pretty close though, isn’t it? And your 2nd paragraph is pure racism. But at least you got that dumb hat!

51 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Chief Wahoo is already gone. Which caricature is the issue?

Do you think wahoo s*** isn’t still being sold all over the place just because the team disowned it a couple years ago? No. The team had to make this change. 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

it’s pretty close though, isn’t it? And your 2nd paragraph is pure racism. But at least you got that dumb hat!

It is pretty close - which is why I didn't dismiss it but chose to address it instead.

But just so I understand your point of view with regard to 'pure racism' - if I'm as cool with a HR-hitting Indian as I am with a TD-scoring Cowboy, as if I am with a HR-hitting Marlin as I am with a HR-hitting ecclesiast (Padre, Angel), as I am with a HR-hitting guy that wears red socks (actually I'm not too cool with them - but that's another post), as I am with a HR-hitting sea-faring dude (Mariner), as I am with a HR-hitting guy who makes one of my favorite drinks (Brewers) as I am with etc.... am I displaying pure racism? IMO nicknames are intended to acknowledge/celebrate strength not to denigrate or diminish. I don't believe that Cleveland Indian was ever intended to denigrate or diminish anyone and for me personally the connotation was that of strong people and a formidable opponent. 

With kindest regards,

Dumb hat

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

It is pretty close - which is why I didn't dismiss it but chose to address it instead.

But just so I understand your point of view with regard to 'pure racism' - if I'm as cool with a HR-hitting Indian as I am with a TD-scoring Cowboy, as if I am with a HR-hitting Marlin as I am with a HR-hitting ecclesiast (Padre, Angel), as I am with a HR-hitting guy that wears red socks (actually I'm not too cool with them - but that's another post), as I am with a HR-hitting sea-faring dude (Mariner), as I am with a HR-hitting guy who makes one of my favorite drinks (Brewers) as I am with etc.... am I displaying pure racism? IMO nicknames are intended to acknowledge/celebrate strength not to denigrate or diminish. I don't believe that Cleveland Indian was ever intended to denigrate or diminish anyone and for me personally the connotation was that of strong people and a formidable opponent. 

With kindest regards,

Dumb hat

whataboutism - the post. And not a very good one. 

8 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I agree with you but I balance it with the fact that sports is a fantastic avenue of African American power and influence over that community and almost every American community.  And it is redefining the athlete role model in a very positive way that I hope everyone can appreciate despite the shared distaste of social and political issues during entertainment..

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

With kindest regards,

Dumb hat

Dear dumb hat,

I'm not down with the racist crap being thrown at you, but would like to point out these are your truths and perceptions which are not unique but are they shared by American Indians?  Have you listened to how they feel about something that directly refers to their race?

Will we see American Indians protesting the replacement of their beloved name with "Guardians"?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.